• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, got a new Endura 4 recently. It's not my first Spidey (at least the 4th, I think). Anyway, on this one the edges of the opening hole and the back of the blade feel a bit "sharp" (as in, when I opened it for the VERY FIRST time I thought, "hey, that feels different), and the texture of the grip seems a little "rough". My others are or were significantly smoother in feel.

Is this unusual or a new normal for Spyderco?

I've also seen some online videos comparing counterfeit to genuine Spydercos recently, and hope I didn't get one of those.

Other than the general roughness I noticed, everything else seems to be spot on, so I think I'm ok. Makes one wonder though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The texture of the FRN changes from version to version, so that might account for some of it.

I have noticed that the opening holes on my Endura 4s (all full flat grind) have a sharper radius than my older Enduras or my higher end Spydercos.

Counterfeits are getting way too good lately. The only way I know to avoid that is to to get your knives from a dealer you trust who gets his inventory directly from Spyderco.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I have noticed that the opening holes on my Endura 4s (all full flat grind) have a sharper radius than my older Enduras or my higher end Spydercos. ...

Good to know someone else has noticed. This is one of the FFG blades. My older ones were the sabre grind. Maybe that's the diff.

catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    Good to know someone else has noticed. This is one of the FFG blades. My older ones were the sabre grind. Maybe that's the diff.
    I don't have any Enduras, but I do have a couple of newer FFG Delicas, an older Delica, and a newer Stretch. The Spyder hole and the blade spine do not feel quite as finished on the FFG Delicas when compared to my older sabre ground one. I can't say it's a huge difference, but definitely noticeable. The Stretch feels more finished, like the older Delica, but it is a ZDP-189 blade and might go through a slightly different finishing process.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sal Glesser was asked about the sharpness of the spyder holes and spine a while back. His response was that it is a product of more precise machining. IE the drilling of the hole is more precise and because of this the hole has a sharper edge that is less rounded.

I had a couple of spyderco's that had really sharp edges. I just went over the edges with some very fine grit wet/dry. Problem solved.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking; just get some appropriate abrasive paper and hit the edges ever so slightly.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My Tuff's spyder hole cut through a pair of leather gloves with a lot of repeated use. I also cut my thumb on it. It's not a matter of "manning up." It's a matter of being smart and just rounding over the sharp corners so you don't continue to ruin gloves and cut yourself.

Also, not all spyderco knives are like this. The Tuff was notorious for having sharp edges. But, for example, my Manix and Southard didn't have sharp edges whatsoever. When you get a model with a sharp spyder hole, you'll understand...and you'll round over the edges.

My solution to the problem was to man up and stop being a *****.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i just checked both on my enduras, one from the early 90's, and one from the mid 2000's, the 90's has a smooth hole, and smooth blade spine, my 2000's has a sharper spine, and the front of the hole is smoother than than the back of the hole

in fact, the zip tie i have on the hole has a cut from the back side, whille the front side dosent

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My Tuff's spyder hole cut through a pair of leather gloves with a lot of repeated use. I also cut my thumb on it. It's not a matter of "manning up." It's a matter of being smart and just rounding over the sharp corners so you don't continue to ruin gloves and cut yourself.

Also, not all spyderco knives are like this. The Tuff was notorious for having sharp edges. But, for example, my Manix and Southard didn't have sharp edges whatsoever. When you get a model with a sharp spyder hole, you'll understand...and you'll round over the edges.

It was joke. You calm down now.

I jusat checked my Delica and it isn't very sharp. it's a FFG with green G-10 handles and I don't really remember how old it is.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, I'll probably meld the edges a bit - less wear on the pocket, and faster, more fluid opening (less friction between the edges of the hole and the thumb).

There's a pretty noticeable difference in opening friction between the holes with sharp edges and those without; to my feel anyway.

catalyst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    As a side note, I just picked up a Spyderco Southard (great knife, BTW), and it has a very polished opening hole. Since the Southard is a flipper, the opening hole is more of a tip of the hat to Spyderco's trademark, although it can still be used to deploy the blade. I suspect that the finish of the opening hole just differs from model to model depending on the manufacturing process and blade finish. For me, the size of the opening hole matters more than the finish for ease of deployment. The opening hole on the Paramilitary 2, for example, is quite large and easy to use. I usually open my Spyderco's slowly, though, and don't usually flick the blade out -- so that probably makes a difference as well. (Don't want to scare the Sheeple.) ;)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I try (really I do) to NOT scare the sheep but sometimes the look on their faces is just.....priceless. The way so many tools (and other products) you buy are manufactured today I fully expect to have to "de burr" most of them. That is why they make files and sandpaper. There should be only one sharp edge on a knife and it should be where the edge of the blade is. Leaving a sharp edge on a knife or a gun that will cut your fingers is really a pretty dumb idea. When I worked on 1911s it always amazed me how every single 90 degree corner on a new Colt could cut you and your holsters to ribbons. Colt has always made them like that. That's great if you're going to display it in a case. Not so great if actually plan to carry, shoot and clean the thing. A great many customers would buy a new Colt 1911 and return in a couple of weeks and have it "de burred".

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I recently purchased my first ever Sypderco (Endura 4 FFG in blue). I don't have another one to compare it to, but my Spydie-Hole does feel pretty sharp to me. Not enough that I need to change it, but definitely sharp. The top side of the blade isn't very sharp though.

Top Bottom