• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The squib didn't create the bulge, that just created an obstruction in the barrel. The bullet that was fired after the squib created the bulge. More precisely, the pressure created by the second bullet moving down the barrel toward the obstruction created excessive heat, softening the metal in the barrel which lead to the bulge.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The squib didn't create the bulge, that just created an obstruction in the barrel. The bullet that was fired after the squib created the bulge. More precisely, the pressure created by the second bullet moving down the barrel toward the obstruction created excessive heat, softening the metal in the barrel which lead to the bulge.
    I missed that detail. I'm surprised that a bulged barrel is the only problem. I've never fired a gun with a barrel obstruction but I have seen photos of guns in pieces after doing that.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    About 8 years ago I had a WWB .45 kb in my new Kimber. It blew the MSH and grips off the gun and blew the mag out of the gun. Sent it back to Kimber for repairs and inspection. They sent it back repaired at no charge... Winchester had me send the remaining ammo, box and split case to them. They sent me $300 worth of Winchester certificates and I used them to buy primers and I started reloading my own ammo.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    About 8 years ago I had a WWB .45 kb in my new Kimber. It blew the MSH and grips off the gun and blew the mag out of the gun. Sent it back to Kimber for repairs and inspection. They sent it back repaired at no charge... Winchester had me send the remaining ammo, box and split case to them. They sent me $300 worth of Winchester certificates and I used them to buy primers and I started reloading my own ammo.

Thanks. I know just how common squib loads can be. I had bought the box at wally world. The guys I was shooting with came up with all kinds of shooting scenarios. Mixed ammo was one. Reloading mistake was another. I repeated to them several times. I loaded 4 rounds and the 4th one met the rear of the third bullet. It happens every day actually. There's a drop down menu with all the common loading complaints on their website. I only bought the ammo for the brass. Oh well. I was leaning twords a FN .40 or a MNP full size .40. Or?????? The squib cycled the next round in. The next round was full power. The chamber pressure is not bbl pressure. I only fired 4 rounds so it didn't take a genius to figure out what happened. One of the 4 cases I fired was split full length lengthwise. It was enough pressure to half way bbl the slug and cycle the pistol. The rest is history. I like the .40. Took just a lil bull crappin out of the equation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom