• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    So the Ruger SR9 has a glock-style trigger system. It also includes a thumb safety and I'm curious how people like/would carry this weapon. Keep in mind I tend to carry it with one in the chamber and I'm just curious about how safe just the glock-style trigger safety features are.

How safe is carrying without the thumb safety being activated? Is this something you would do?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I carry mine with one in the chamber, safety off. I usually have it either in my front right pocket in a DeSantis holster or a Smart Carry which I use to hide my firearm and my two extra magazines behind the bib of my bib overalls. In both cases the trigger is covered by the holster. I also don't think the trigger is likely to cause me to AD as it is much stiffer than a Glock's trigger though not so stiff that it makes it hard to fire accurately. I also find the draw to be smooth rather than hard then suddenly go off which can cause you to jerk just as it goes off making you miss.

So, I think carrying it w/o the thumb safety on is fine.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Well, I carry mine with one in the chamber, safety off. I usually have it either in my front right pocket in a DeSantis holster or a Smart Carry which I use to hide my firearm and my two extra magazines behind the bib of my bib overalls. In both cases the trigger is covered by the holster. I also don't think the trigger is likely to cause me to AD as it is much stiffer than a Glock's trigger though not so stiff that it makes it hard to fire accurately. I also find the draw to be smooth rather than hard then suddenly go off which can cause you to jerk just as it goes off making you miss.

So, I think carrying it w/o the thumb safety on is fine.

I've put mine through some modifications one being the trigger is now a ghost trigger...so it's a really crisp, light trigger.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Curious about this topic. I don't own an SR9 but they intrigue me. Does the safety simply block the trigger from being pulled? If so I would feel perfectly safe carrying one without the safety engaged so long as it was in a good holster.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I carried the compact model briefly, never engaged the safety, used a good holster. No problems.

A decent carry pistol, but I just moved on to a different gun. Good luck with your SR9.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I carry mine with the safety on and practice thumbing the safety down during the draw as I would with a 1911.

I would recommend making this a part of the draw stroke practice either way. Just as you can't assume the safety is on if you use it, you have to be prepared for the chance that it could have been bumped on also and not assume it is always disengaged...

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    The SR9/9c platform is just as vulnerable to ND and AD's as any striker fired pistol. As we have all I'm sure seen and read about. It can and does happen. I carry the 9c iwb with one in the pipe safety on.

Would I carry that way with safety off, no. That's the carry method that suits me best. I draw like its a cocked and locked 1911. Whichever way, safety on or off, you should absolutely practice your chosen method. :twocents:

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I got my wife an SR9c which she rarely carries; thus I carry it more frequently then my other, previously preferred, handguns. I practice in one way so that I have the same rote memory with all my weapons: reach, pull, safety, press, warn, trigger. I would LIKE to carry the SR9c safety-off to eliminate that step but in some situations I carry other handguns that I would not feel comfortable with the safety off. I practice the same gestures with all of them and thus keep the same technique even though the safety isn't in the same place on all of them. If you carry anything, ever, that would require disengaging a safety, I recommend giving that process some thought. I wouldn't want to be carrying another weapon and forget the safety. I also wouldn't want to be carrying the SR9c and fumble for a safety that is already off.

-Dobber

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I have the sr9c and I carry with one in the chamber and safety on. I need to practice with turning safety off when drawing but when I am in a situation where I feel I may need to draw my weapon I turn the safety off. If you have a good holster you should not have to worry about your trigger being pressed with the safety off.

Top Bottom