• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I actually feel sorry for Bernanke. He has to try to stabilize the economy while the Obama Administration does everything it can to destabilize it.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I would like someone to explain to me why the "deflation dragon" needed to be fought and or slain.

Does not the free market itself take care of such things??

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I would like someone to explain to me why the "deflation dragon" needed to be fought and or slain.

Does not the free market itself take care of such things??

What free market?

Deflation in a Keynesian model is bad because it means you are doing it wrong. Keynes also wasn't fond of inflation, but he never had to run for re-election so his opinion doesn't matter.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    They need to stop printing money and pretending that it retains its value. Right now, our money is worth less. After QE five or six, it will be just plain worthless.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    In a deflation, your money would be worth more and have greater purchasing power. Does anyone really believe that is what is going on? We're in stagflation right now.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In a deflation, your money would be worth more and have greater purchasing power. Does anyone really believe that is what is going on? We're in stagflation right now.

The article mentions how the Fed policy has increased the cost of commodities with the hope that wages would follow.

I think these geniuses have cause and effect confused.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    They need to stop printing money and pretending that it retains its value. Right now, our money is worth less. After QE five or six, it will be just plain worthless.

That's not the scary thing. The scary thing is when the large majority of the population gets their minds around that concept. Look at the effect of the U.S. bank bailout to the Greek bailout and then compare that to the Spanish one, for example. Each time the market sees diminishing returns, to the point where the Spanish bailout floated the markets for...what, a day? maybe half a day?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's not the scary thing. The scary thing is when the large majority of the population gets their minds around that concept. Look at the effect of the U.S. bank bailout to the Greek bailout and then compare that to the Spanish one, for example. Each time the market sees diminishing returns, to the point where the Spanish bailout floated the markets for...what, a day? maybe half a day?

Nothing like selling hopes, dreams, and Monopoly money, is there?

Top Bottom