• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I put a basketball hoop in a few years back, and over time the concrete plug has sagged to one side.

Once it warms up I want to plug the plug out and replace it with something bigger.

What’s the best way to stabilize it? It’s right next to my driveway, so I’m thinking about drilling holes and installing rebar across the horizontal. If I do that, then hammer vertical supports two or three feet down into the ground, will that effectively tie it all together? I’m basically envisioning a rebar box with two arms punched into the driveway. Will that work?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I put a basketball hoop in a few years back, and over time the concrete plug has sagged to one side.

Once it warms up I want to plug the plug out and replace it with something bigger.

What’s the best way to stabilize it? It’s right next to my driveway, so I’m thinking about drilling holes and installing rebar across the horizontal. If I do that, then hammer vertical supports two or three feet down into the ground, will that effectively tie it all together? I’m basically envisioning a rebar box with two arms punched into the driveway. Will that work?
    Maybe use some expanding Crete that they use for leveling sidewalks?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If you're going to completely remove the "plug" you could install a ground screw at the bottom of the hole for a deeper foundation. Set your post in the hole and pour concrete back.

If settlement is the problem, deeper, more stable foundation is the fix.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    So you're just talking about re-setting the post in concrete? I think everyone thought you were talking about pouring a slab, hence the confusion.
    I thought he had a slab with the post that was tilting, OP you seemed to confuse everyone. If your post is set in something 12 inches square I don't really understand what answers you were looking for other than going deeper

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Sounds like a 12"x12" section attached to another slab. Possibly a repair in the middle of a slab?

Either way drill rebar into larger slab and epoxy in place, if it's in the middle do it in multiple directions. Dig deeper and compact then 2-4 inches of stone under the new concrete and should be fine. If it's bigger it needs a footer.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    It's all under snow at the moment, but I have a two-car parking pad. I put a basketball hoop to the side of it, just a small circular plug of concrete not attached to anything. That's what's sagging, so I'm thinking just expand the hole to around 2' by 2', then tie into the larger slab with rebar.

What @Jaybird1980 describes is pretty much what I was visualizing. Sorry for the vagueness, I typed the first post on my phone and haven't been able to sit at the computer until now.

Quick and dirty sketch:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.59.12 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.59.12 PM.png
      128.5 KB · Views: 11

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's all under snow at the moment, but I have a two-car parking pad. I put a basketball hoop to the side of it, just a small circular plug of concrete not attached to anything. That's what's sagging, so I'm thinking just expand the hole to around 2' by 2', then tie into the larger slab with rebar.

What @Jaybird1980 describes is pretty much what I was visualizing. Sorry for the vagueness, I typed the first post on my phone and haven't been able to sit at the computer until now.

Quick and dirty sketch:
    If you do it 2x2, put some rebar epoxied into the slab, just make sure it is more than an inch from surface. Otherwise it'll be brittle and could burn the surface and be visible. Make a footer 12"x12" around perimeter.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    How deep is the pole set? Is it possible to dig it out and widen the area out, throw it back in and fill it back up with concrete?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Frost line is 3' below grade. You will have to go 6" below that plus what ever the thickness is of the thing you set the post on, like a rock. We will say the rock is 3", so you will dig a hole 45" deep by 12" square. Then dig 8" down around the hole to make a 2' square around the hole.

Drop the rock into the hole. Drop the pole into the hole then then support the pole so it can't move. Pour concrete into the deep hole till it gets to the top of the hole. Run rebar around the post 4" above grade then finish the pour.

If you install your post like the above it will not move and it will out last the pole.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    How deep is the pole set? Is it possible to dig it out and widen the area out, throw it back in and fill it back up with concrete?

Not that deep. The basketball hoop came with a plastic sleeve, that was what I set into the concrete, then the pole slides into it once the mix is set.

I'm going to replace the hoop with a different one. I'll have to check and see how the other one works.

Top Bottom