• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As a requirement to graduate the IMPD Leadership Academy I have to do a staff study on a concept/SOP/common practice within the department that needs to be improved/changed/done away with. For my staff study I have chosen the interactions between police and legally armed citizens. In order to complete the study I need to "interview" citizens that had some type of encounter with the police and were disarmed unwillingly. The encounter can be a traffic stop, call of MWAG, or an officer approaching you while you were OC'ing. If anyone is willing to help me with this study, let me know.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    wasn't IMPD but had a bad encounter with a state trooper saying to the hubby be glad he didn't reach for his gun or he'd have a glock 40 in his ear, took him out of the car, left the guns with me.

IMPD profiled us one night too. Pulled us over for a seat belt violation, took the gun. Brought it back and gave it to me although they took it from him and told us to get our headlight fixed. :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im in. My encounter was over 15 years ago, but It is VERY vivid in my mind due to how much crap I could have been in had the officer not been understanding. (he took pity on me :):)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    In this particular instance, much as I'd like to help I'm glad that I can't. Never been disarmed by an LEO. Good luck with your project, Frank. It's a bold choice, and I appreciate it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think I can talk about the most recent one, as it's still working its way through the court system, but I'll ask my lawyer if I can relate the first incident, which set the stage for the second incident. All of the first incident's details are already out there. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Are you only looking for incidents that involved IMPD? If not, I can help also.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good luck on this Frank. Just as a suggestion: Wouldn't you also want to compare and contrast good interactions with poor ones? We've read both on this site. There is probably just as much to learn from the interactions that went well as from those that didn't.

Anyway, good luck!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Good luck on this Frank. Just as a suggestion: Wouldn't you also want to compare and contrast good interactions with poor ones? We've read both on this site. There is probably just as much to learn from the interactions that went well as from those that didn't.

Anyway, good luck!

My focus is on the negative interactions, but I will be referencing positive encounters as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Congrats on being at the IMPD Leadership Academy Frank. I'm out of rep or I'd give you a +1 for taking on this subject. Somebody + rep this man!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've had three:

This is Broad Ripple: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...arrying-broad-ripple-indy-gimp-encounter.html

I didn't mind him wanting to see the license (such a stop is analogous to the Georgia case) but pointing the gun at me was bad form. Plus I think from an officer training standpoint, why he was fixated on the 1911 and not the other two guns on me is disconcerting. I mean if I was of malicious intent, instead of having the specific intent to buy coffee, something could have happened while he had his head down 2001ing my 1911 as I was standing there with two other handguns.

Wheatfield: getting coffee I interrupted the Town Marshal chatting up the counter girl. He acted flustered but only wanted to see my license, never touched my guns.

I-65 when I hit my deer: young state cop wanted to see my license. He ran off with my pink card (literally, he ran back to the police car like he caught Dillinger or something) but never touched my guns.

I've been yawned at plenty in Lafayette but no one has said boo to me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom