• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Does anyone have experience with Stag Arms AR15s? I'm looking for a low cost reliable AR15. Stag seems to be in that range with some of the reviews on other sites. This will be just used for home defense and range shooting. This will be my first rifle so I'm not very knowledgable in these. Probably won't be upgrading from stock. Might add and low end red dot. Thanks!

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've built two Stags, with all Stag internals, and been extremely happy with both. I recently sold one to fund a different project, but still have the other and will probably build another eventually. Accuracy and reliability in both has been up to my expectations, even with junk ammo and not as much cleaning as they deserve. I would absolutely recommend them to others, but I am not an AR connoisseur and don't consider myself an expert in their manufacturing or use.

Also worth noting, Stag is essentially the retail arm of CMT which means that the same parts that go into a Stag rifle go into a lot of other rifles from other manufacturers, of both high and low quality.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    An out of the box new Stag model six won Expert classification at a Registered National Match course of fire a week after it came in. Classification legal clamp on front and back sights were added and zero'ed before the match. The rifle never had a miss feed or failure to fire and there are now close to 6000 confirmed rounds shot for record at registered matches, not counting practice and ammo testing, so it is far from a safe queen. I would say those statements alone are confirmation that they are at least above average rifles. They are surely a good value.

Last edited:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I bought a Stag 3G for 3 gun this year and it hasn't failed me yet, maybe 600-700 rounds through this summer. Lotsa options out of the box from them.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    My first AR was a Stag Model 1. It had a terrible staked gas key. Also, has a 4140 steel barrel. It shot nice though. I have since moved the upper along, but I still have the lower. I think there are better values out there considering a Stag 1 runs ~$800. I would save an extra $100 or $200 and go Colt, BCM, DD. Not knocking Stag, as I enjoyed mine as it was a starter AR. YMMV

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My first AR was summer of '13. Prices were still sky high after Newtown. GM had an ad in the paper for a Stag model 3 for $799. I spent a little spare time at work the day the ad came out to research the brand. All came back good so I picked one up on my way home that afternoon. Other than getting a couple cases stuck in the chamber the first time out, it has ran great and shot beyond my capability. I recently attended an Appleseed KD at Atterbury. Over 400 rounds fired, zero failures. At the 500yd range, I had 5 out of six hits on target. This surprised the hell out of me even!

Matt

sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Ran to Beech Grove firearms at lunch. Walked out with a Stag model 2. They are doing a fire sale right now so got an extra $50 off.

sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Was able to get it out to the range on Friday. Put 90 rounds through with no issues. I did have trouble getting the first round to chamber properly if the mag was filled up with 30 rounds. It would come about 3/4th out of the mag and stop. I had to pull the charge handle back a second time to get it chambered completely. Is this normal? Maybe the mag is a little too stiff right now.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Was able to get it out to the range on Friday. Put 90 rounds through with no issues. I did have trouble getting the first round to chamber properly if the mag was filled up with 30 rounds. It would come about 3/4th out of the mag and stop. I had to pull the charge handle back a second time to get it chambered completely. Is this normal? Maybe the mag is a little too stiff right now.
    Mine does this if I "ride" the charging handle too much. Pull it back and let it go with some authority and the problem will go away.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Mine does this if I "ride" the charging handle too much. Pull it back and let it go with some authority and the problem will go away.
    I would think you have solved your problem. I had this happen too when I was trying to chamber a round "quitely" at my stand while coyote hunting. Just let her fly...you will be fine!
    My cousin purchased a Stag piston model several years ago. His has been a great gun.

bowtech83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2014
    Muncie
    My first AR was a Stag.....it ran flawlessly for me....no FTFs or FTEs the whole time I owned it. I eventually added a 15" Midwest Industries SS Gen II handrail and a Magpul stock....

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I was trying to chamber a round "quitely" at my stand while coyote hunting.

Ever try to drop it quietly, tap the forward assist, have deer walk up to 25 yards and have it go "click".:ugh: That was my daughter's first deer hunting experience.:rolleyes: Since then, pull it back and let it slam, screw the noise.

Of course that was not with a Stag, it was a RRA .458 with a very tight chamber.

My Stag model 3 was my first .223 upper. I can't find anything not to like about it.:dunno:

Top Bottom