• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I have in my possession a 55gal stainless steel barrel that seems to be in good condition. are there any uses for it other than scrap metal? I am debating whether to just scrap it or go to the effort of posting it in some classifieds. any suggestions anyone? anyone know what they are used for? I'll post a pick tomorrow after i get it. sorry if this is more of a classifieds thread but i didn't know if any of you preppers could give me some ideas.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BEER making possibly.

Seems to be the rage these days with everyone and their sister thinking they can make better beer than me.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Per [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=55+gallon+stainless+drum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=55+gallon+stainless+drum&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=2me&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=QGQTUJrkCdP_qAHxrYHwDQ&ved=0CE0Q_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=9f188dcc8adb6306&biw=1252&bih=550"]Google Shopping[/ame], these things are pricey when new...you may not want to just scrap it.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Yeah, turning it into a smoker would be pretty cool. The thing has been sitting in the same spot for the last 18 years. Even though it is in great shape on the outside, I haven't checked the inside yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, turning it into a smoker would be pretty cool. The thing has been sitting in the same spot for the last 18 years. Even though it is in great shape on the outside, I haven't checked the inside yet.

If it is really stainless steel it should be OK unless something very caustic was stored in it for a long time.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Wood burning stove with a kit. I think you can find a door and flue kit fairly easily and because it is SS it would outlast a regular steel 55 gal. drum.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    every time i have delt with stainless 55gal barrels, they had very nasty material in them. plastic is cheaper and just as fda food safe. i wouldnt use the barrel for anything but scape material.

quesofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    I work in the scrap industry. It's not worth your gas and time to scrap it. You'd be surprised what a 55 gal barrel could do for you if you have the room to just store it in your garage. Personally, I store waste fluids (engine oils, old coolant). Yes stainless is worth a little more, but ideally you might be better off just keeping it around. Scrap places won't give you much because all they are doing is probably going to smash it and sell it as SS clip.

Top Bottom