• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm looking at picking up my first 1911 and I'm looking at both the Custom TLE/RL II (blued? steel) and the Stainless TLE/RL II (stainless steel).

I prefer the look of the Custom TLE/RL II but like the idea that the stainless steel should be a more durable finish/stand up to daily carry better. I could be wrong - so I'm looking for opinions based upon the durability of the finish/metal more than which one simply looks better.

Any thoughts?

Here they are on KimberAmerica.com for comparison sake:
    Kimber America | Custom TLE/RL II (blued? matte black)
    Kimber America | Stainless TLE/RL II (stainless)

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carry an early Kimber Custom. Original blue finish. Not a blemish on it and all I do is give it a spray down once or twice a month with Rem-oil.
    UNLESS I get out in the rain and get soaked.
    Then I pull it down and spray it down and wipe good. Then back in the holster.
    Nothing wrong with the finishes on the plain jane steel

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I like the SS. A lot of people complain about the finish on the Kimber wearing off.

The Presto Gun Blue Pen matches the Kimber finish perfectly. I picked this pen up at Bradis II last week.

2012-12-29_20-02-51_473.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a couple of stainless guns too.
    They will mark up like blue/black/parkerize do.
    It just shows up differently.
    You can touch up blue/black and you can usually polish out SS.
    Get what you like best. It's your poison.
    You're NOT going to go wrong either way.
    The Kimber is a nice gun. I just picked up a new Custom 2 from Elmores right before Christmas and it's a beast of a gun. Accurate and right out of the box 100% dependable so far. Less than 400 rds but smooth as butter though a little stiff still.
    It's the black finish. It wipes down nice. I haven't had this one long enough to give it a good review on finish or durability but it's a nice gun. Wise Choice

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, Elmore's is likely where I'll go unless I get one used on here. I'm not so worried about wear showing (like nicks in the finish) as much as rust prevention. I know even SS can rust but it's a bit more resistant than plain steel when the finish is wore off.

Decisions decisions!

Bret B

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I am a big fan of ss. I am not great at cleaning my gun after a weekend at the range. I do not worry about my ss stuff they clean up great. You do not have to worry about fingerprint near as much either.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Myself prefer SS, for a couple of reasons. Easier to maintain, holster wear is not as much of a concern that leads to retaining resell value better, lastly like the look of of it.

Just to throw a wrench into the mechanism have you looked at the Sigs or Springfields.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    All of my carry guns are stainless steel except a Glock. I like the look of stainless steel and I prefer it for EDC. It stands up better to moisture and holster wear. It can easily be made to look new again with a bead blasting (satin finish, that is).

My preferred EDC is a stainless steel Kimber Compact I have carried for over ten years. It still looks great.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Stainless steel would be a more durable finish. You would not get any oxidation on the surface of the stainless steel gun. The blue and process should be thought of as a controlled oxidation. This is a very attractive surface but is not as stable. If you are planning on every day carry the stainless would be a more durable finish and should not show where as easily.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I have used the presto gun blue pen. It works very well and is easy to use. I find it best for touching up areas on the edge or corner of a gun. On a flat surface you can see the touch up marks more easily. On an older gun it can touch up areas of oxidation. Mild areas of flecking can be turned darker with the pan.

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    i have a tlr rl 2 got it for a deal so had it dura coated
    love it
    wouldnt change a thing wait for one with some wear comes up for sale....break it down add some goodies and have her coated

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Not completely relevant to your thread, but not horribly off topic. I just picked up a Ruger SR9 in stainless. I really wanted the black finish because I always open carry when I deer hunt (as backup protection while bowhunting), but don't really want the glare off the stainless gun. However, I couldn't get one in black, so settled for stainless. Debating on whether to keep it as is, or have a different finish put on it. Anybody have any thoughts on getting a matte black finish put on it?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Be very, very, very wary of KimPro Finish. The stuff is garbage and will chip with a scratch of a fingernail. I know from experience. I just had both of my Kimbers refinished recently in Cerakote and KG Gunkote.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I have had Kimber Custom TLE/RL II for 4 years now and have never had an Issue with the finish wearing thin. It was my truck gun and got banged around a lot in the console until I bought a S&W Pro Model 1911 Compact.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was just looking at their site. Would love to order a custom Wilson to my specifications ad preferences but I doubt the wife is going to let that happen!

Maybe for my birthday... Or next Christmas?!?!?! :-)

Top Bottom