• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    The video does not show a fire piston. I believe the video is faked.

the fire starts extremely rapidly as if there is an accelerant, and there is hardly any activity with the stone, definitely not enough to create the head required for a fire.

If I were to recreate the same effect I would do the following:

1. Create a small pocket in some leaves - which it looks like he did
    2. Place some strike anywhere matches in the pocket. Tape the matches so that the heats will rub together and tape the part you strike them against on the box around them.

Whacking the rock will eventually cause the matches to rub against each other or the striking surface and they will light.

Tada - magic fire from a rock!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    What, Speedway run out of Bics?

Seriously, I have seen fire pistons, but you are getting to the point that you should just get a firesteel or a bic out. The idea for most of us is to have a light, reliable method of starting a fire out on the trail. A small bic and a few inches of rubber innertube will do the trick.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I thought it looked fake too. The fire ignited too easily, and spread too quickly. I love the instant, massive cloud of smoke! Also, if it really did work, I think everyone would be doing it.

Oh, and fire pistons, they're for real. I saw one on the internet! ;-)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I first found out about fire pistons about a year ago. I'd never heard of them and the idea fascinated me so I got on ebay and bought this one. FIRE PISTON, FIRE STARTER SURVIVAL GEAR, ARROWHEADS | eBay

They have a video that I think is pretty impressive and gets the point across. I bought one just to play with and see if I could figure out and it was interesting. I have it in a backpack, but I use a bic when when I need to start a fire.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So, if nothing else this thread has become a litmus test for who do and do not actually read a thread before posting. :n00b:

Meh. It depends. I may watch videos, I may not. Most of the time when I do watch the video it turns out to have been a waste of time. Articles I can at least scan to see if I want to read in depth. I'm more likely to watch a video when it is embedded rather than linked.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    In all honesty you didn't watch the video, but you did post before the couple or three posts talking about what is actually in the video.

I understand if a thread is five or six pages long not reading everything, but people should at least read the first page or two before posting something.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In all honesty you didn't watch the video, but you did post before the couple or three posts talking about what is actually in the video.

I understand if a thread is five or six pages long not reading everything, but people should at least read the first page or two before posting something.

People should have a Phd in the subject they want to discuss before they comment too. Mostly I don't watch videos because I'm still on a dial-up line. Considering the comments made on this forum from folks who obviously can't tell their toes from their fingers, I think we can cut Shibumiseeker some slack, since he does wilderness rescue stuff as an avocation unlike most of us city dwellers. And this means YOU Lynn.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Sorry but that firing making video is pure BS. YOu're not going to take two rocks, that are sub freezing, and rub them together until they are hot enough to make bark ignite in the 15 seconds he spent. Never saw cedar bark smoke like black powder either. Hoax.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    People should have a Phd in the subject they want to discuss before they comment too. Mostly I don't watch videos because I'm still on a dial-up line. Considering the comments made on this forum from folks who obviously can't tell their toes from their fingers, I think we can cut Shibumiseeker some slack, since he does wilderness rescue stuff as an avocation unlike most of us city dwellers. And this means YOU Lynn.

I read it as Lynn actually cutting me slack unlike the folks after me who posted once someone had actually watched the video :D

Even so, I don't mind a mild chastisement when I'm talking off base. I'd rather be accurate than proud.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I watched the video before reading any further than the OP (I was willingly walking into a gag, if that what it turned out to be).

2/3rds into the vid..... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    I read it as Lynn actually cutting me slack unlike the folks after me who posted once someone had actually watched the video :D

Even so, I don't mind a mild chastisement when I'm talking off base. I'd rather be accurate than proud.

I was giving you a small, good nature, ration for not watching the video - but you are right, I was cutting you some slack because you posted before the content of the video was really discussed. Or at least trying to...

We all do odd things on forums from time to time, I was just pointing out those that were continuing to not catch that they were reading the guys login and not addressing the question at hand. Going by several of the responses the OP should be able to bang two random rocks together to make fire. I know that is not what they meant but a newbie to the forums might not catch that.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I did not watch the video, because I couldn't. I just went off of the discussion. Considering the number of hijackings here, it can often be more appropriate.

And if I want to start a fire without a bic, I just rub two abrasive INGOers together!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom