• ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yep they showed up here this morning, feeding on the cat food my wife puts out for the homeless cats!! nasty little bastards they poop on everything in sight

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Not seen them.......................yet.
    They make good practice for the upcoming chipmunk season. If ya get proficient at hitting starlings, chipmunks are easy targets

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    As a kid in the early 50's in Whiteland, the adult men in town would blast the trees with their shotguns to eradicate the starlings in town. It was us kids that went around after them with our wagons to collect the bodies. I can only assumed this was a sanctioned event. Can you imagine the outrage this would cause today.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Took care of 5 today with my gsons Red Rider BB gun. I would've taken care of more but they got wise to the noise from me opening the door. There was atleast a dozen being a menace to other birds and covering my feeders. Will start the hunt again in the morning.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Wild.
    I saw at least 10 today at a little feeder my MIL bought us for Christmas. 4-5 at a time. I did my best, but I really only scared them off. The gun I was using was the DPMS SBR bb gun. Not really made for sniping birds. Technically in city limits or I would have used a 10/22 + can.
    I did find a cheap Amazon red dot to put on the SBR in the event they stick around for the weekend.

rutheborger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tippecanoe
    I always thought a smoothbore .22lr pump with rat shot would be the cat's meow for starlings. Enough power to kill at urban backyard distances with no overpenetration issues.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I may be going the air gun route after airgun video. My son has coined the phrase "jerk birds" because they are a-holes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As a kid in the early 50's in Whiteland, the adult men in town would blast the trees with their shotguns to eradicate the starlings in town. It was us kids that went around after them with our wagons to collect the bodies. I can only assumed this was a sanctioned event. Can you imagine the outrage this would cause today.
    I remember back in the 70's Indianapolis was having an issue with pigeons downtown. Someone had the idea to put out poisoned corn on the rooftops of the buildings in order to kill them. What they didn't foresee were the pigeons dying in mid-flight and falling on people walking downtown. It was kind of like the WKRP turkey episode. :):

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I bought caged feeders advertised to keep squirrels out. Initial purchase was expensive but the starlings which were emptying my feeders in a couple of hours moved on and after a few days of apprehension the other birds embraced them. I have another feeder using safeflower seeds and something is emptying that all over the ground, can't figure out what is doing it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I bought caged feeders advertised to keep squirrels out. Initial purchase was expensive but the starlings which were emptying my feeders in a couple of hours moved on and after a few days of apprehension the other birds embraced them. I have another feeder using safeflower seeds and something is emptying that all over the ground, can't figure out what is doing it.
    Coon or possum at night probably. May be the neighborhood deer.

Top Bottom