• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Finally made the jump and bought a stripped lower.

And I'm gearing up for a fun summer project! But i could use some help.

My goal is to build a functional sport/fighting gun. I'm looking more towards rifle length rather than carbine, but i would like to keep the weight down.

Other than that, I'm pretty overwhelmed. There are just way to many options out there an its difficult to compare them.

Any advice for the newb? Anybody know of any good assembly or parts information resources?

And since all threads are worthless without pics here is the lower:

Im keeping it in a ziplock bag with a few drops of oil while I gather all the parts

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I've looked very closely at Palmetto State, still am. PSA seems like a great one-stop-shop and honestly i will most likely be giving them several hundred dollars before this build is done :): but I'm interested in what else is out there as far as options, quality, and customization.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap furniture if you can. If you like a certain style or look, get it and stay away from the junk. Pay less now or pay more later.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    out of all the ar's ive owned my favorite is my 16" pencil weight barrel, carbine length nothing special about it beater ar. ive had precision ar's and high end ar's. but none of them got shot as much as my beater ar. i built it mostly from spare parts in my bin so its by far the cheapest ive ever built

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I also agree with PSA. 16" is a great starter/recreational barrel length. It will do about everything you need to do with a AR. Keep your hardware nice and just add a different upper or a longer barrel at a later date. Once you build one, you will build 2, and then 3. It seems like a never ending build off.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Have u checked out AIM Surplus?

Just picked up Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower, not sure where I'm going with it yet, just gonna take it slow & see where I end up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are so many options. AR's are like big boy Legos. I'm planning to build out a few with plain jane parts for SHTF work. I have an M4gery, but my favorite is the AR set up as an XM16; light barrel, triangle handguard, three way flash, doesn't even have a forward assist! Retro, man, like the first ones into Nam. Build it cheap and upgrade stuff later, or stress yourself out over the details and upgrade stuff later anyway. Biggest thing is to learn how they work so you'll know what to upgrade and why. Most of all, have hella fun. First mag you load with more than two in it, and cut loose, you'll understand.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Thanks so much for all the input. I'm starting to get a good idea of what I want now.

One question i do have is why is there so much preference towards carbines over full length rifles?

Top Bottom