• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Been thinking of trying out a 3 gun match Right now I don't expect to win. For you that know me know I'm a mature shooter so we can skip the part where you tell me the end with the hole in it goes away from you.

I have an 870 Turkey gun that I could use, it has a reddot on it and I could change the choke and I think that would be a very minimum But I'm not opposed to some mods to the 870 but I would like to find a reasonably priced entry level gun.

I'm a remington Fan and I've read that you need to maintain the 1100's, I wouldn't mind finding a beretta

But here's where I need to have the experienced folks help me

WHAT does a 3gun shotgun REALLY NEED to compete. I shoot UPSA so I know that you can take a perfectly good gun and poor $3k into it to be compentitive, Well I'm not jumping in the deep water yet, I want to try this out for a season or 2 before I go full bore, If its right for me.

I would buy a used 3 gun SG or I would buy and modify myself but what will take my 870 or another gun and turn it from a turkey/deer killer to a capable competition gun.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    To be competitive you really do need a semi-auto. Probably the top choice today among pro shooters is the Benelli, of course those have a top price as well. The Remington 1100 is probably one of the next top choices. Fact is you have to maintain any semi-auto more than you do a pump but the 1100 is no more difficult to maintain than any other semi auto, in fact it is simpler than many. I have been shooting an 1100 (the same one) for 3 gun matches and other combat shotgun games for 20 years or so. In all that time I have replaced the O-rings 4 or 5 times and the gas rings once.

If you start out with a basic used 1100 like I did you will need to add a few things. This is what I did to mine but not all of this is needed.
    First is a mag extension, mine is a Choate and it allows 10+1 capacity on the gun.
    Second I went with a 26" Hastings Wadlock barrel for more even patterns.
    Third is a Speedfeed pistol grip stock, I find the pistol grip allows me to really keep the gun firmly seated when running and gunning.
    Now I am considering adding a Burris Speed Bead...as I age I can use all the help I can get.

You can also start with a new 1100 that is well set up for 3 gun such as the Remington Tac-4. However for the money I would prefer a good used gun and at least a 26 inch barrel to take advantage of the longer mag extension. Of course you can always add an X-rail and kick capacity up to 23 rounds.

My 1100
    1100C2.jpg

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You could get a Mossberg 930. It will come with a ported barrel which will put you in open. They can be cut down and threaded for chokes rather cheaply. Add a nordic extension for $80 and your competitive.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks for everything I've looked around and every manufacture offers a good fit, but after looking at what accesories cost and add on's I think my 2 options are upfit my 870 turkey gun by putting a choke and an extension tube that would be the cheapest and fastest its already got a red dot on it, OR For me the Remington 1100 Tac is really an inclusive package for the money they offer a lot of upgrades in a one time purchase.

A couple questions on the Rules.

What are the rules for upgrades AND if you shoot an open pistol are you shooting OPEN in everything or do you shoot Weapon/class individual

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Benelli M2 Field 24" is what I am savin mah pennies for.

I have learned, there is a reason the best is the best, and its best to just save up for it.

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    A buddy of mine just got a 1100 competition with a 30 barrel and adjustable stock piece(not sure of the terminology) cheek piece. It's really nice.

Top Bottom