Murray's Yugo Gas Valve
    Murray's Hammer
    Murray's Sear
    Murray's Firing Pin w/Spring
    Wolff Hammer Spring
    Wolff Sear Spring
    Tapco compliance piston (ditched OE)
    Tapco compliance op rod (ditched OE)
    SKS Man replacement drive spring and oprod spring (ditched OE)
    SKS Man ventilated handguard
    Refinished Yugo Stock
    Choate Compensator
    John Masen 10rd Magazine
    DIY Olive Green 1" Nylon sling
    Ground off the bayonet lug (gun smith)
    Barrel cut/crowned at 16" (gun smith)
    Moved FSB back welded in place (gun smith)
    Welded compensator takes barrel length to 17" measured from the face of the closed bolt.
    DIY trigger job per SurplusRifle.com

Rifling is rough (in other words it has seen some action), barrel is otherwise clean, the gun shoots great, easily holds 10" @ 100 yards during constant firing. Runs great, cycles fine.

I recently just refinished the stock for this rifle. I must say, it adds much more character to this build! I really like the way it looks, feels, and fits together. I got really lucky with this stock. It fit my Yugo action like a glove. I'm pleased.

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

If you don't like it, too bad, I love it, and I'm keeping it!!! :D

FYI: Here is the link to my stock refinishing thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nishing_an_sks_stock_a_story_in_pictures.html

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Took the M59/66 Shorty to the Range tonight

:D Took my shorty M59/66 Yugo SKS out tonight for a brief session at the range. Just shot a handful of magazines through her as I didn't have much time... I ran the John Masen 10 and my Tapco 20's. Ammo was Wolf Military Classic, 124gr FMJ.

Ok, so less talk and more gun pron...

Click picture to watch video.

Click picture to watch video.

Here are the targets I shot for record. This is not a precision rifle; no need for any MOA discussion here. This rifle is good for a minute of man, no more, no less. For targets this evening I went with Birchwood Casey Dirty Bird targets. As far as paper is concerned, they are a little more entertaining to shoot.

Here's the targets...

(estimated) 50 yards, 5 sighters, and then a full 20 round magazine. Sitting.
    a8ec0c55.jpg

(estimated) 50 yards, just 2 sighters, and then a full 20 round magazine. Kneeling.
    6ef2f0d0.jpg

(estimated) 50 yards, 2 more sighters, and then another 20 round magazine. Standing. 7 misses.
    7761300a.jpg

Obviously, I did MUCH worse standing. There were a good amount of missed shots. I ended up stringing shots off to the right of the paper. This is something I will be working on. Practice will make perfect.

Ok, so before someone flames me, I will be man enough to admit, I did shoot without eye pro. I forgot my clear lenses at home, and as I shot at dusk, I couldn't see much through dark tinted Oakleys. I took the risk of shooting without eye pro, this however, DOES NOT make it right. Thankfully nothing happened. Don't do what I did kids; Always wear your eye pro. Ok, flame on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom