• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Ok so let me start by saying I am a complete newbe on owning a NFA item. So on to my question from the veterans out there.

I acquired a home built AR .223 pistol with a 11.5 barrel. This is the soon to be "SBR". So if my understanding is correct I will fill out the form 1 pay the tax wait 6-8 months once the stamp arrives I can put a stock on this and its a SBR am I correct or am I missing something.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    That pretty much sums it up. I have done three that way. It's up to you, but I kept the parts to do the conversion at my in-laws until I received the tax stamps back. Not that the ATF was going to show up at my house, but just felt better not having the parts around until it was "legit."

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I need to get a lower that I can dedicated to being an SBR. Probably go with something like 11.5" and possibly suppress it.

Only downside is finding subsonic ammo that will cycle the gun I imagine.

What, exactly, makes an AR-15 in .223/5.56 a "pistol" versus a "rifle"?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I need to get a lower that I can dedicated to being an SBR. Probably go with something like 11.5" and possibly suppress it.

What, exactly, makes an AR-15 in .223/5.56 a "pistol" versus a "rifle"?

Lack of stock. Normally the "pistol" buffer tubes are unable to accept a stock.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

You don't HAVE to use subsonic ammo. All comes down to your intended use and goals. If your goal is for a defensive gun in .223, then I wouldn't even consider subsonic (not much better than .22LR). If your goal is super quiet, then you should consider a pistol caliber. If you want a defensive gun than can be super quiet for FUN, then you can mess around w/ subsonic .223.

This is why .300BLK has become so popular as it's possible to accomplish both goals reasonably well and still have a dependable gun.

-rvb

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You don't HAVE to use subsonic ammo. All comes down to your intended use and goals. If your goal is for a defensive gun in .223, then I wouldn't even consider subsonic (not much better than .22LR). If your goal is super quiet, then you should consider a pistol caliber. If you want a defensive gun than can be super quiet for FUN, then you can mess around w/ subsonic .223.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear - I am talking sub-sonic for fun at the range.

As far as home defense - even with the sonic crack indoors it's still going to be substantially easier on my ears with a suppressor than without.

The suppressor I'm looking at is 8.5" long so I'm either going to need to build an SBR or I'm going to have to learn to handle a tremendously long firearm indoors [not ideal, imho].

This is why .300BLK has become so popular as it's possible to accomplish both goals reasonably well and still have a dependable gun.

-rvb
    Indeed, I have been looking at 300BLK as well but even still, I'll need it to be an SBR. Upside is that all I need to do is swap out the barrel as near as I understand it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Now this I am not aware of. What engraving has to be done?
    The lower has to be engraved with the name of the manufacturer. In this case, you, by putting a short barrel on the rifle are 'manufacturing' a short barreled rifle.

Short version -> You engrave *your* name on the lower.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Indeed, I have been looking at 300BLK as well but even still, I'll need it to be an SBR. Upside is that all I need to do is swap out the barrel as near as I understand it.
    Barrel swap unless you've already bought your suppressor... then it's not quite that easy. I would decide what you want now. IMHO 300 BLK is going to be better with a suppressor for several reasons. #1 sub-sonic .223 that will cycle an AR is unheard of w/o major gas-port/buffer/spring modifications (basically making a specialized setup for shooting ONLY subsonic .223, #2 The sub-sonic 300 BLK are still very effective defensive rounds #3 Suppressing a .223 AR isn't nearly as effective as many lead you to believe. Yes, they are more quiet, but still not hearing quiet until you start shooting subs.

The lower has to be engraved with the name of the manufacturer. In this case, you, by putting a short barrel on the rifle are 'manufacturing' a short barreled rifle.

Short version -> You engrave *your* name on the lower.
    "Your Name" AND "Your City, IN"

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yes, your name, city and state.

There are also requirements for the size of the text. I believe it was a minimum of 1/8" high, but it has been a while since I did my last one.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Barrel swap unless you've already bought your suppressor... then it's not quite that easy. I would decide what you want now. IMHO 300 BLK is going to be better with a suppressor for several reasons. #1 sub-sonic .223 that will cycle an AR is unheard of w/o major gas-port/buffer/spring modifications (basically making a specialized setup for shooting ONLY subsonic .223, #2 The sub-sonic 300 BLK are still very effective defensive rounds #3 Suppressing a .223 AR isn't nearly as effective as many lead you to believe. Yes, they are more quiet, but still not hearing quiet until you start shooting subs.
    Haven't bought the suppressor yet... Still planning out the build and then going to take time to execute it exactly as I want it :).

"Your Name" AND "Your City, IN"
    Indeed. I guess I sort of assumed one would figure that out as the original manufacturer of the lower itself also has to put their name and city/state... Whoops.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Update:

I got my trust paperwork in the mail toady. :rockwoot:
    Just need to submit everything and hurray up and wait. Does anyone know of an engraver close to Brownsburg?

Top Bottom