• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    Does anyone know what the rules are for carrying a handgun at turkey run state park? I have a LTCH and I thought state parks were pretty much open to carrying. However I ran into this site that would say otherwise.
    Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Rules
    SEE RULE #2

Indiana's DNR site says nothing about firearms that I can see other than hunting. And the linked site admits it is not the official site for Turkey Run.

Anyone who knows more, I would greatly appreciate some insight.

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    I think it was last year when the state passed a law to allow carry in state parks. They said a person should be able to protect themselfs in the parks as on the street. That is if you have a ccp. I'll look for the law and post it.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    "Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit."

well isn't carrying an activity authorized by your LTCH? lol

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    on Crime beat radio show Carl Brizzi stated that it is legal to "Concealed" carry in state parks.

That show was great but they always said Concealed Carry permit or Concealed carry. that bothered me abit.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carry in the IN state parks is fine now. I once said "concealed only" and was corrected by Rhino. Carry is ok, concealed or open so long as you have a LTCH.

I personally conceal.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We often camp at Harmonie State Park. There brochure clearly states that you can carry in the park with a valid LTCH.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And, for the record, it was never illegal to carry in Indiana State Parks. The ruling a few years ago was to remove the administrative rule from the DNR books.

It was against State Park/DNR rules to have/carry firearms, but was never against the law....technically speaking.

But yes, these days in Indiana, we now have the law written much less ambiguously when it comes go State Parks.

-J-

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    I believe this should pretty much answer the question :thumbsup::thumbsup:

312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping​
    [/FONT]
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2

Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:
    (A) a rifle;
    PUBLIC USE OF NATURAL AND RECREATIONAL AREAS
    Indiana Administrative Code Page 4
    (B) a pistol;
    (C) a shotgun; or
    (D) an archery;
    range.
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (a)(1) or (a)(4), a firearm or bow and arrows may not be possessed on DNR properties​
    within any of the following:

:cheers:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.

I found that part to be :):.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was at Mccormicks creek last weekend. Thier paperwork states guns must be cased unless you have a permit

State Law "trumps" any kind of administrative rules, however.

My guess is that they just haven't run through all of their old brochures and maps and such.

It's perfectly legal to carry, open OR concealed, within a State Park (with the exception of Falls of the Ohio for some reason?).

It was never against the law to begin with, actually. It was just a DNR "rule" that they didn't want folks on their property.

-J-

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    The DNR was simply trying to protect their trees from those of us who legally carry. They were tired of dealing with frequent incidents such as the following:
    "Yeah, Joe, I shot that threatening pine tree with my trusty '9'." :rolleyesedit:

Some hysterical ninny wrote a brief letter to the local rag complaining about the recognized right to carry in state parks. "This is scary. Why would they allow people to carry guns in state parks?" Gee, I don't know, Slick. Maybe because we can legally carry them on public property outside state parks where there are a lot more interesting things to shoot than inside them, except, of course, for some of those threatening pine trees that need to be whacked. :rolleyesedit:

Is it just me, or are other normal people aware of the pervasive blight of terminal ignorance Terrible Haute has been afflicted with?

Remember Chuck Heston's line in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie? "It's a madhouse!" This is what I feel like screaming whenever I peruse the local news websites and read letters such as the nauseating one I just described... I certainly hope I didn't cause any of you to lose your latest meal by doing so. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like some of the state parks are using older paperwork or have not updated their rules to reflect the current DNR regulations. If you run into park administration that don't want you to be armed, they're certainly not going to offer the truth to you, though.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Sounds like some of the state parks are using older paperwork or have not updated their rules to reflect the current DNR regulations. If you run into park administration that don't want you to be armed, they're certainly not going to offer the truth to you, though.

This is generally the case wherever and whenever little people are confronted by the 'authoritas' (As Cartman pronounces it. :):) regarding any subject. And, right or wrong, the badge usually wins.

Top Bottom