• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Indiana Secretary of State Connie Lawson says the law is clear: Unless the polling place falls under the few exemptions in the law, legal gun owners have the right to openly bear their arms while they vote. “That matter has been settled,” Lawson said.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I've only recently heard of Tomes and so far, I liked what I heard. But, if these quotes are accurate, I'm not so certain he is as pro-2A as he first appears.

Tomes said his reasoning for not advising open displays is two-fold. First, he said, is that Indiana’s “concealed carry” law already allows legally licensed owners to have their firearms on hand in public places in case of an emergency.

I don't even need to comment on this, the problem is obvious.

“Openly carrying a firearm in public venues works against the idea of having protection in the case of an emergency by most likely making any legal carrier a target of those who are illegally carrying firearms,” Tomes said.

As often as this point is brought up, no one has offered proof that it is true or has ever happened.

The second reason echoes his concern about how the public perceives the guns.

“Because people are not accustomed to seeing an openly carried firearm in public places, it’s common courtesy to keep them concealed as to not excite unnecessary fear,” Tomes said. “Most legal firearms carriers are responsible enough to extend this courtesy to fellow Hoosiers, carrying their firearms concealed as a demonstration of respect.

The media is the reason for the fear, not the gun owners. Oh, and we are not responsible if we open carry?

Anyone from district 49 that can write him a strongly worded letter?

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    After the intimidation I faced during the 2008 election, I am glad to see that this is out in the open. I did not carry at all on election day in '08, and my friend and I, who were working the polls with party credentials, were threatened all day. We truly thought that we would be killed when we left the polling place at the end of the evening. I will never put myself if a position like that again. I fully plan on OCing on election day!

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    As often as this point is brought up, no one has offered proof that it is true or has ever happened.

I remember reading an article (maybe it was on OCDO?) where this actually did happen.

As for on topic, I was quite surprised to see this. :yesway: for Ms. Lawson.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I remember reading an article (maybe it was on OCDO?) where this actually did happen.
    There was a guy in a gas station who was OCing in a non-retention POS Uncle Mike's holster or something and a guy grabbed his gun. He chased the guy and the guy shot him with his own gun.

But no one has ever been targeted as the first kill by a bad guy with a gun.

I OC but wear a Safariland SLS or Blackhawk CQC.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've only recently heard of Tomes and so far, I liked what I heard. But, if these quotes are accurate, I'm not so certain he is as pro-2A as he first appears.

I don't even need to comment on this, the problem is obvious.

The media is the reason for the fear, not the gun owners. Oh, and we are not responsible if we open carry?

Anyone from district 49 that can write him a strongly worded letter?

He doesn't listen to anyone who does not already share his beliefs. He is a truck driver sittin gin the senate. Granted he has had some good legislation written (SB292) among others but his interviews leave much to be desired.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The article does seem to discourage OC even tho it clearly points out that it's legal. I was very disappointed in the comments from the Howard Co clerk

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    He doesn't listen to anyone who does not already share his beliefs. He is a truck driver sittin gin the senate. Granted he has had some good legislation written (SB292) among others but his interviews leave much to be desired.

What did he do before getting elected into the Senate?
    IIRC he ran to get elected becuase he did not like one of the IN state gun laws and worked to change that which he did.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What did he do before getting elected into the Senate?
    IIRC he ran to get elected becuase he did not like one of the IN state gun laws and worked to change that which he did.

He was a truck driver, just like I said. He started the Second Amendment Patriots here in Evansville and they branched off in SB or somewhere as well.

They didn't like the local law restrictions so he campaigned and won the state senate seat. He did what he said he would do and got it passed with a lot of time and work.

I do not want to diminish his actual accomplishments but actually knowing him it is frustrating to see what he writes and says in interviews. I can forward you some emails that would make you pull your hair out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    He was a truck driver, just like I said. He started the Second Amendment Patriots here in Evansville and they branched off in SB or somewhere as well.

They didn't like the local law restrictions so he campaigned and won the state senate seat. He did what he said he would do and got it passed with a lot of time and work.

I do not want to diminish his actual accomplishments but actually knowing him it is frustrating to see what he writes and says in interviews. I can forward you some emails that would make you pull your hair out.

No need TF. Great that he followed the path our founding father's laid out and got the change he wanted. Now the question becomes does he reliqnush power when his time comes (re-election) or do he conineu to fight for the users (ie. TRON reference) or does he join the dark side (power corrupts). Only time will tell.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I haven't watched TRON in years but I did watch the sequel recently. Pretty good but I need to find a copy of the original again.

I'm really a nerd who makes fun of other nerds to fit in better at the cool kids lunch table :D

Top Bottom