• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Maybe they were just serving the LEO's only and used the "closed for maintence" as an excuse. Think about it. Your a cop walking the beat downtown. Tons of people everywhere. Where are you going to go grab a quick bite without having to wade through a sea of people and wait for hours? If the cops knew S&S would only be open to them they could come in eat quickly and get back to work without the hassle of all the people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    A friend of mine has a son who works at that S&S. He has not worked there very long, but this is what the seasoned employees told him:
    1. It is not uncommon for 6-8 people sitting/standing at a booth or table and only a few of the patrons order food or drink.
    2. The tips are practically non-existant. They pay for food but scam the tip or leave a quarter tip on a $7.00 food tab.
    3. The "excuse" for the meager tips has been poor service. Service staff have a difficult serving food when people are standing around in the way and not eating!
    4. There has not been an "incident" in S&S, but cars in the parking lot have been vandalized and or damaged over the last 2-3 years. One worker had over $500.00 in damage done one night. Hard to justify working for less than minimum wage with that concern, too.

Just relaying thoughts from a concerned Mother.

Just relaying

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not to be argumentative, but this raises a question: I've always heard/read that if you would not go somewhere unarmed, you should not go there armed. The classic example of the "dark alley" (and if we continue, a la Bill Cosby: "with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pockets" (and I'll be REALLY surprised if anyone knows that reference without cheating :laugh:)) comes to mind. I avoid areas where I think the likelihood is higher I'm going to have to draw in anger or fear, but I carry in case I find myself there unexpectedly or unavoidably. For me, it's like wearing a belt and suspenders... or having health insurance and AFLAC. :twocents: ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

OOH OOH I know that one, "Gimme your dough, I whipped around. . . . .it was a midget. . . . . . .":rockwoot:Still got the album somewhere, See I'm not lyin' I even know what an "album" is!!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Maybe they were just serving the LEO's only and used the "closed for maintence" as an excuse. Think about it. Your a cop walking the beat downtown. Tons of people everywhere. Where are you going to go grab a quick bite without having to wade through a sea of people and wait for hours? If the cops knew S&S would only be open to them they could come in eat quickly and get back to work without the hassle of all the people.

S&S was not serving LEOs exclusively after the restaurant was closed. The LEOs that were in there being served were the ones that were working part-time security there while it was open. How do I know? I was standing on that corner for 3+ hours, both before and after the S&S closed for the night.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If/When you drive through your Ghetto do you check your firearm just to feel a little better? Or when a bum approaches your car?

Where is the highest crime in Indy? 38th Street from Keystone through Post and South on keystone. The Dangerous 'L'. When I drive through that area you bet I have my sidearm on my lap. Its not being Racist, its recognizing a pattern and being proactive. Period.

Not to be argumentative, but this raises a question: I've always heard/read that if you would not go somewhere unarmed, you should not go there armed.

I don't get a choice. I grew up at 38th & Post. Went to Arlington, John Marshal, & Crispus Attics. I learned a great deal living there and it is why I live in Bloomington now. But sadly, my mother still does and I have to go a few times a year. I never go unarmed. And when she dies, they can burn the house to the ground for all I care...

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Was the S&S open during the day? Whats wrong with doing maint. at that time of an evening? They were doing maint. I saw a guy painting. There were employees there, in uniform, doing a good cleaning? Who knows, who cares? Last I checked, this was America, we still have the right to close our bussines when we want, Black Expo or not. Besides S&S is'nt racist..... their logo is in black and white. :patriot:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Business

1st. S&S is a private business and can do whatever they want.
    2. That particular corner is one of the busiest and crime ridden corners on that particular weekend.
    3. That is why they station Officers and Transport Wagons at that corner on those nights
    4. They didn't bother to talk about the amount of Juveniles that were caught commiting crimes or carrying handguns. (14 year old with a 9mm tucked in his waistband)
    5. Yes this event brings in a lot of money for the city but the city has to pay out huge amounts of OT to provide a safe enviroment for the law abiding citizens wishing to have a good time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Its not racism...its business.

When I delivered pizzas for a living, some neighborhoods were "red listed"...we didn't deliver there after dark. The risks outweighed the gain of doing business in that area. Drivers had been robbed, beaten, stabbed, and held up at gunpoint...so we didn't go there anymore.

Its a shame for those folks that lived there and just wanted a pizza, but it is what it is.

I don't blame that store for closing. Some risks are just not worth the taking.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    $38 Million...

is how much money everyone paid for their wheels, paint jobs, sound systems, necklaces, grills and clothes....oh and their fancy nickel-plated sissy pistols and rainbow GLOCKs from Dons Guns!

I call BULLS**T!

As a downtown resident I can say from personal observation there is no way in hell this brings 38 Million dollars to Indy.
    This crowd does not spend money. Plus its an absolute drain on taxpayer funded law enforcement.

IF Expo brought 38 MILLION dollars to Indy how come other municipalities aren't bidding against us to host the expo???

The Future Farmers of America convention is a competitive bidding process with a battle every year between cities.

Other conventions also require competitive bidding. If this sham is worth 38 MILLION of economic impact why aren't other cities fighting us for the event?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    They were closed because of all the people like the person making the video.

Whenever you have a group of people, they do stupid things.

As well, the renovation could have been ordered by corporate (or is S&S a franchise?)

Having police in a business is a deterrent. This is the reason for police discounts... and it looks to have worked in this case.

Didn't look like a lot of those folks were exactly starving, either...

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    If the economy is still bad next year, I am going to open a grape kool-aid and watermelon stand during the expo. Think of the money that would make

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i'm going to make more money because i will have red kool-aid. i cant tell you the number of times i have been "axed" where the "red-flavor" kool-aid is located.

Top Bottom