• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Just blowing off a little steam, nothing serious or important here. Can't wait until warmer/dryer weather so I can go shooting!

I'm a member of a private range and there is an indoor shooting range for pistol and rimfire that I take advantage of but I miss my long range shooting!

Partially my fault thought I suppose. As I get older the desire to lay out in the cold wet weather and shoot goes down.

What do some of you do in the winter months when you can't shoot or how do you shoot in winter?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just blowing off a little steam, nothing serious or important here. Can't wait until warmer/dryer weather so I can go shooting!

I'm a member of a private range and there is an indoor shooting range for pistol and rimfire that I take advantage of but I miss my long range shooting!

Partially my fault thought I suppose. As I get older the desire to lay out in the cold wet weather and shoot goes down.

What do some of you do in the winter months when you can't shoot or how do you shoot in winter?

A Cav soldier complaining about the cold???? :): (been there, froze that)

My solution is I shoot to my pistol range from my back deck (I cut a lane through the trees, so i have about 100 yards, downward facing into a natural berm) when it gets too cold, I step inside for a warm up. I try and excersise my rifles at least once a week so they don't get all lonely and feeling left in the safe. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sounds like you need a Mosin Nagant. Those things practically beg to be shot in the cold.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I go to Young's Longshot Range and sit inside a heated building and shoot out to 1,000 yards all winter long. They have drop-down windows to shoot out of and you can shoot in a sweat shirt. Young's is in Woodruff, IN so it wouldn't be too far to drive. Here's a link to the range web site:

Youngs Long Shot Range Information

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    A Cav soldier complaining about the cold???? :): (been there, froze that)

My solution is I shoot to my pistol range from my back deck (I cut a lane through the trees, so i have about 100 yards, downward facing into a natural berm) when it gets too cold, I step inside for a warm up. I try and excersise my rifles at least once a week so they don't get all lonely and feeling left in the safe. :D

I don't think the Cav is what it used to be. :D

But that said, my old Paratrooper a** still goes out to shoot, no matter the weather, but I don't lay down anymore! I built some nice range benches, and even have a padded seat.:rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

What do we do in the winter?

WINTERSEED!

Here's a thread from last January: AAR: "WinterSeed" Cloverdale, IN (Jan 29, 2010)

(Appleseed is an American heritage and history organization with a great rifle marksmanship clinic. Full disclosure: I am one of the volunteer instructors with the program. Come out and spend a weekend learning and shooting with us!)

Blessings,
    Bill

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I go to Young's Longshot Range and sit inside a heated building and shoot out to 1,000 yards all winter long. They have drop-down windows to shoot out of and you can shoot in a sweat shirt. Young's is in Woodruff, IN so it wouldn't be too far to drive. Here's a link to the range web site:

Youngs Long Shot Range Information

wow that sounds awesome... wish I had one closer to me

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just go for it. I layer up, put on the shooting gloves, face mask etc... and hit the range. I may not stay for hours on end like I do in the warmer months, but I enjoy shooting in the cold from time to time.

Few weeks ago I was out shooting when it was somewhere around 17 degrees, snowing, and blowing like crazy. I had fun for 45 minutes. :D

Top Bottom