• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stock, Steel, or Tungsten Guide Rods in Glocks?

• Total voters

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    As an avid Glock owner trying different modifications throughout the years, I wanted to hear INGO's opinions on steel or tungsten guide rod assemblies. In my (limited) experience (with these metal rods), these recoil spring/guide rod replacements from different companies have done nothing but reduce the weight of your wallet and induce malfunctions. Do you swear by stock Glock or metal aftermarket?

Does anyone else have a completely different experience?

If so, please elaborate.

Either way, please vote in the poll and explain why.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I run a tungsten guide rod in my g17 gen4. The reason for running it to help reduce recoil, to get back on target quicker. They don't function any different than the stock ones, they're just heavier. I highly recommend them imho. Plus it was only $80

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Unless you want to mag dump 500+ rounds to the point it melts stock plastic one is most likely the best and cheapest.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    A properly designed steel guide rod will be more durable than the stock plastic rod. A tungsten rod will provide more weight up front, which will affect perceived recoil at the cost (or benefit) of increased weight. I've replaced the plastic guide rods in the very few pistols I have that came with them. I've tried the tungsten guide rod in a 1911 and didn't notice much difference. I've tried the tungsten rod in a SIG P228 and liked it. I haven't shelled the money myself for a tungsten part, but would consider it for the SIG, not for the 1911. If I had a lightweight 1911, I might perceive more effect from it.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    My Glock isn't a race gun. I'm not a competition shooter. Other than maybe some night sights, my Glock doesn't "need" anything improvements to perform admirably.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I run a tungsten guide rod in my g17 gen4. The reason for running it to help reduce recoil, to get back on target quicker. They don't function any different than the stock ones, they're just heavier. I highly recommend them imho. Plus it was only $80

Wonder if there is a way to determine just how much the recoil is reduced?

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The only reason I went with a steel guiderod was because I made it. My g23 runs like a top with it, and I have the ability to change to different weight springs if need be.

Top Bottom