Steve Rinella's brother Matt goes against Meateater and other "social media" hunters

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Should we “pound sand” if our public owned access we use to hunt/fish is being taken away?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/alaska-caribou-hunt-closures-federal-public-lands/

Federal land is ours yet in some states you need to go through an outfitter to hunt them or are completely blocked off from getting on them.
    I'm confused. First you post the bs from the lesser Rinella and are seemingly supportive. Then you respond to someone disagreeing by posting an article that basically points out the stupidity of Rinella/Hunt Quietly.

IMO:
    If the feds are trying to close lands designated for hunting and fishing use, then hunters and fisherman need to make their voices heard.

The feds trying to close federal lands to hunting has absolutely nothing to do with states requiring an outfitter to hunter certain areas and species. Those states impose those restrictions for claimed safety reasons because they don't want to have to spend more time/effort/money rescuing/recovering people from remote and rugged areas. Or habituate the local bear populations to dining on them. It's almost certainly more about encouraging the use of outfitters in Wyoming's case but neither Wyoming or Alaska actually require a nonresident hunter to spend money on a guide. Both allow either residents or resident relatives to be an unpaid guide.

The greater issue is the widely unequal access via restrictive license quotas and drastically higher license fees for nonresident hunters.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Not at all and never mentioned that type situation in my pound sand rant.

Join up and make your voice heard https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Beware though. One of Steve Rinella's buddies is a founder. His brother won't like it.

When it comes to BCH, I'm not entirely convinced that they are not a "wolf in sheep's clothing" environmental front group than a pro-hunting group in practice.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Meateater does tend to present hunting as a 30 minute episode. IMO you lose the heartache and hours of boredom that hunting actually is with that show. But I get it; no one wants to watch a guy alone with his thoughts for hours on end waiting for something to show up.
    I tend to agree that the proliferation of social media and you tube has made hunting glamorized and led people to have serious misconceptions of what it actually means to hunt.
    Having been on guided hunts, it does make me feel a little dirty. I've been on a few FL hog hunts and one Gator Hunt. All I really had to do for the gator was walk up to the rifle and make the shot. Honestly I got much more out of a solo deer hunt experience than any of the guided hunts. But, guided hog hunting is really fun. And I consider it a service to decrease the invasive population of the gulf states. I would not ever seriously consider a high fence hunt. I don't need to shoot a giant deer over a giant pile of corn.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When it comes to BCH, I'm not entirely convinced that they are not a "wolf in sheep's clothing" environmental front group than a pro-hunting group in practice.
    I hear you. The more I read, the more I think they're not. It is possible that over time, they move more that way though. It comes down to who gets involved and what they want to make it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Even in fishing I dont considering chartering really fishing. I dont see anything wrong with it if you're on vacation and go out on a charter but I dont really see that as being in the outdoorsman vein...

I mean, the times I've done it, it felt a lot lot like fishing to me. I ended up sunburned, drank too much beer, and took home fish for dinner.

Is it really fishing if you use side scan sonar in a $100K bass boat?

Or must I use a spear from a dugout canoe?

...I watched a video of a guy bow hunt a lion and he had 5+ people around him with firearms, put 3 arrows in it and then pose with it. I know it has its place and brings in money for the community so im not against it but I dont think its really hunting.

Bet you that lion thought he was really being hunted.:D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I'm confused. First you post the bs from the lesser Rinella and are seemingly supportive. Then you respond to someone disagreeing by posting an article that basically points out the stupidity of Rinella/Hunt Quietly.

IMO:
    If the feds are trying to close lands designated for hunting and fishing use, then hunters and fisherman need to make their voices heard.

The feds trying to close federal lands to hunting has absolutely nothing to do with states requiring an outfitter to hunter certain areas and species. Those states impose those restrictions for claimed safety reasons because they don't want to have to spend more time/effort/money rescuing/recovering people from remote and rugged areas. Or habituate the local bear populations to dining on them. It's almost certainly more about encouraging the use of outfitters in Wyoming's case but neither Wyoming or Alaska actually require a nonresident hunter to spend money on a guide. Both allow either residents or resident relatives to be an unpaid guide.

The greater issue is the widely unequal access via restrictive license quotas and drastically higher license fees for nonresident hunters.
    I posted an article about closing of public lands. I’m not in lock step with Matt Rinella. I do agree with some points and think it’s good to evaluate one’s own opinions from time to time with differing views.

Even if you could find an unpaid guide or relative to take you out in the woods that’s still asinine. Most people aren’t going to have access to that. Do you need someone to take you hiking in the woods? If you can go search for Bigfoot by yourself why is it suddenly an issue when you want to hunt?

British Columbia closed grizzly hunting after a video went viral that caused outrage. So Matt isn’t just blowing hot air.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I mean, the times I've done it, it felt a lot lot like fishing to me. I ended up sunburned, drank too much beer, and took home fish for dinner.

Is it really fishing if you use side scan sonar in a $100K bass boat?

Or must I use a spear from a dugout canoe?

Bet you that lion thought he was really being hunted.:D
    I shouldn’t have lumped all charters in the same boat. I have a buddy that guided in Alaska for an outfitter and the people he guided were really fishing for salmon. I’m more so talking about someone handing you a pole with a hooked fish and calling it fishing.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I posted an article about closing of public lands. I’m not in lock step with Matt Rinella. I do agree with some points and think it’s good to evaluate one’s own opinions from time to time with differing views.

Even if you could find an unpaid guide or relative to take you out in the woods that’s still asinine. Most people aren’t going to have access to that. Do you need someone to take you hiking in the woods? If you can go search for Bigfoot by yourself why is it suddenly an issue when you want to hunt?

British Columbia closed grizzly hunting after a video went viral that caused outrage. So Matt isn’t just blowing hot air.
    They really can't stop hikers though unless they are willing to close entire areas to human access completely. There's also a bit more involved with hunting than just getting yourself out of the wilderness. I'm not saying that it is right but it is also not quite the huge deal it is being made out to be especially when there are 10's of millions of acres where non-residents can hunt without a guide in Wyoming and multiple species one can hunt without a guide in Alaska. One could also vote with their dollars and choose to hunt a different state without such regulations.

Matt is a complete f'ing idiot that apparently doesn't even understand that appeasement has never worked and never will. Anti-hunters want to end all hunting period. They are not going to stop trying to end all hunting simply because we start "hunting quietly". On the contrary, "hunting quietly" plays right into their hands by treating hunting like it is something shameful to be hidden from sight. Matt also seems to be a "butter" or at least caters to them, he's for hunting but only if one sticks to his narrowly defined rules. There are already too many like him in the sport that are only too eager to divide us when we should be standing together. British Columbia closed grizzly hunting because too few people were willing to stand up against the closure, too many tried to appease the animal rights freaks, many likely because they were "butters" that didn't grizzly hunt.

IMO, the worst part about the "butters", is that they all too often speak from a place of jealousy and entitlement with no real experience or knowledge of what they decry.

spfldbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    N FL
    I remember that episode, very confusing take from Matt. He seemed to be alright with people hunting for reasons he agrees with, but not people attached to a hunting “industry”. He kept referring to people that show others “what to shoot” as though it’s destroying the past time.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I remember that episode, very confusing take from Matt. He seemed to be alright with people hunting for reasons he agrees with, but not people attached to a hunting “industry”. He kept referring to people that show others “what to shoot” as though it’s destroying the past time.
    I remember him saying "if you're out there for a week and missing your wife & kids, then you're only there because you have to be, not because you want to be hunting" or some such nonsense as his justification that you're not there for the right reasons.

spfldbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    N FL
    I remember him saying "if you're out there for a week and missing your wife & kids, then you're only there because you have to be, not because you want to be hunting" or some such nonsense as his justification that you're not there for the right reasons.
    Yeah- I listened to it again this morning and he really had a chip on his shoulder about a lot. That statement about missing family was just ridiculous. I’m surprised Steve kept his cool as well as he did.

Top Bottom