• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Ive been seriously contemplating on selling my beloved 2nd gen Glock with goodies for Steyr M9-A1 or the S-A1.
    There might be a chance to take one of these out to the range in a week or so.
    Seeing that M9 was like love at first sight:wwub::chuck::drool:I love the feel of the grip, 17+1 mag, trapezoidal sights too bad they don't come in Tritium.

I have been reading tons of reviews online for a few days and I would like to get some accurate responses from a few Ingoers.

lets here em, or pm.

steyrm9a102rv4.jpg

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yes it would be my primary carry,

Holster selection, parts and service. How available are they now? How about in 5 years? 10?

Glocks may not be sexy, but they have a long history in the marketplace, are well-supported, and parts/spares/accessories are plentiful. That can't be discounted when considering a carry gun.

My :twocents:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If you want one I would say go for it. They are very ergonomic. They are in use with a few military and police organizations around the world, and the Steyr M series have a well deserved reputation for accuracy and reliability. As Shooter521 has pointed out you can't walk into a gun store and buy spare parts like with the Glock, however, magazines and spare parts are readily avaible from Steyr's website for a decent price.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    If you do the Glock you can make it your own - just about anybody can personalize a Glock to their liking if they gave it a chance. And it shouldn't cost a fortune to do so either.

With the Steyr, I'd make sure you're positive it's got all the right aspects you desire before pulling the trigger. Because it might be a costly mistake if it doesn't feel exactly how you want it to.

I agree with a fair many who claim that some guns "just fit". Like a glove, or a pair of boots.

There might be a chance to take one of these out to the range in a week or so.

This. I would do this absolutely

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had two different M9-A1 pistols...

And now I no longer have them.

It's been bandied about the 'net for years that these Steyr pistols are "What a Glock would be if it grew up."

(The main designer of the Glock, Bubits, took his services and this design to Steyr when Glock decided against adopting it)

I think they shoot nice. I think that their ergonomics are surpassed only by the Walther P99 (but I have zero trigger time behind an HK P-30)

Low bore axis means hardly any muzzle flip when firing.

As Shooter said above...holster selection is a bit limited. However, it's better now than it's ever been. Aftermarket night sight selection is also limited. If you're handy with a file, you might be able to get sites meant for another gun into the dovetails. (Raven Concealment does make holsters for the M9-A1!)

Can't really head to your local LGS and buy mags / spare parts should you need them. Having said that, the customer service from the importer, SAI, is fantastic.

Steyr Mannlicher US:*Steyrarms.com

*Importation was stopped once before...it can always stop again. Steyr / Steyrarms certainly isn't going to break the bank with advertising campaigns in order to drive sales. Combine relative low sales volume with a price higher than competition = who knows how long they'll last this time around.

If you can afford it, buy the Steyr and keep the Glock.

-J-

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    As a long time Glock owner I got to try my brothers Steyr. What a great weapon.
    I would pick one up in a heart beat.

Top Bottom