• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was talking to the younger of my sisters, and she felt the need to tell me of a friend of hers (we'll call her Kathy) who had a gentleman friend (we can call him Biff. No reason.) whom Kathy had known for years, but was now going to be dating Kathy. They are not in Indiana, just to clarify. Biff wanted to meet with Kathy somewhere before their date. At the mutually innocuous meeting spot, Biff informed Kathy that he carries. Her reply was of the "you have a permit/license, right? That is, its legal, right?" genre.

So far so good on her part. Somehow then my sister got onto the idea of how wonderful it would be if guns read the user's fingerprint before firing. I asked her, you have that on your phone, right?(yes)

"Does it work the first time, every time?"

(pause)

"oh"

I think the lights turned on for her, as she realized that no matter how much she, my sister, hates guns (having had them pointed at her face a couple of times as a bank teller) when you need one, you need it to work right the hell NOW! and fingerprint technology does not allow for that. Even if it was absolutely perfected, it's still one extra step between I-need-this and bang.

And yes, I'm marking this one in the Win column.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Every journey begins with one first step. I could also point out that there was a time when Ronald Reagan, yes, the patron saint of conservatism, was liberal enough to be a Swede.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It is not inconceivable that one might find an instance where you would no longer have a recognizable fingerprint (at least, not enough for a piece of software), and still need to employ the weapon.

-Nate

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've found that with most people if you can sit them down and quiet the emotional racket for long enough to have a logical thought they start to understand the conservative side.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It is not inconceivable that one might find an instance where you would no longer have a recognizable fingerprint (at least, not enough for a piece of software), and still need to employ the weapon.

-Nate

The other point I made to her, unnecessarily, it turned out, was that when every LEA in every jurisdiction, the USSS, FBI, CIA, etc., and the military all use this system exclusively, then I might consider it. Maybe.

After all, if it's such a good idea....

The proponents of this idea publicly describe it as being like the Lawgiver in the Judge Dredd story... but it just ain't so. It's just going to result in failures to fire for the guy who's supposed to be using it.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    My phone won't read my fingerprint when my fingers are damp or slightly dirty. I for sure would not trust my life to a fingerprint reader on a gun. Even the machine that they used for the electronic fingerprints when I got my LTCH had issues when I had it done.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My phone won't read my fingerprint when my fingers are damp or slightly dirty. I for sure would not trust my life to a fingerprint reader on a gun. Even the machine that they used for the electronic fingerprints when I got my LTCH had issues when I had it done.

I have similar issues with fingerprint readers and touch screens. There are days where my phone is pretty sure my finger isn't mine and the phone, radio and laptop screen refuse to acknowledge that I have placed a finger on a button.

Neat tech when it works. Which is a lot less for me than it is my other half. The gadgets all like her.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My high school science teacher worked in a bank for a while while she was in school...barely. she naturally has almost no discernible fingerprint. I don't remember if she said they ever got a usable fingerprint or just ran the solid black bars.

Top Bottom