• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Has anyone done a home job on adding some texture and grip to a polymer frame? I have seen some companies that offer the service but can't imagine it would be that difficult to do with some sort of soldering iron type tool. I would love to see some pics or get tips.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    1 part soldering iron, 2 parts beer.
    The frames usually are more forgiving (need heat longer to stipple) than the backstraps (like those on M&P). If you search for stipple on here, there are quite a few examples of homebrew stippling.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    thank you sir. An M&P is what i am planning on. pick it up next week and still waiting on LTCH so i plan on tweeking it a bit over the coming months.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    thank you sir. An M&P is what i am planning on. pick it up next week and still waiting on LTCH so i plan on tweeking it a bit over the coming months.

What model have you got? I recently picked up a 40c that was stippled and might be interested in swapping out frames....just a thought.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Just be careful. They can get ugly quick. I've seen a few abortions. Seems to be the finer iron tip you use the better they turn out.

buddydog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    I guess it all depends on the size of the soldering gun tip and your patience. I know I don't have the patience for the detail work.

Bowling_R recently did some work on my G19...you may want to contact him for pricing. His price is extremely reasonable and the work is top notch.

Good luck.

297a4f3a45d95f41410a838e12c06dce_zps3d7e03ce.jpg

a6c880a5fe435d871ba5c1313de65b57_zps711fd0e2.jpg

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It is time consuming, but if you have the patience it is worth it. Test in an unseen area first to get your timing down for how long it takes to make your desired texture. I used an old A2 grip for my first experiment and have since done my PMags. I plan to do my Mark II 22/45 in the near future.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I need to buy a soldering iron... *sigh*

And a Dremel.

No self-respecting Do It Yourself'er Gun Hacker's shop is complete without a Dremel.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ok stupid question. in all these pics people put a pen or something in the trigger guard area. I am curious as to why.

To prop the gun up off the surface it's on - to give photos more depth and be more interesting to look at.

pens, screwdrivers, cartridges, wooden dowels, clear acrylic dowels, etc.

-J-

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    To prop the gun up off the surface it's on - to give photos more depth and be more interesting to look at.

pens, screwdrivers, cartridges, wooden dowels, clear acrylic dowels, etc.

-J-
    thank you. I actually don;t feel so dumb now. I was feeling stupid figuring what possible safety or function could that have other than looks lol

Top Bottom