• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The ammo and reloading supply situation is repeatedly reported to just get worse and worse as 2024 wears on. Inflationary pressures and the current political climate are seriously contributing to this problem. I would have to agree with many YouTube channels which advise to get these items when you can moving forward. Don’t become a hoarder, just get enough to get you through these questionable times. :dunno:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The ammo and reloading supply situation is repeatedly reported to just get worse and worse as 2024 wears on. Inflationary pressures and the current political climate are seriously contributing to this problem. I would have to agree with many YouTube channels which advise to get these items when you can moving forward. Don’t become a hoarder, just get enough to get you through these questionable times. :dunno:
    what is the difference in hoarding and getting when you can? There are seemingly an endless loop of questionable times playing since the 22lr shortage in 2016.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Unfortunately it seems like anymore you either hoard it or you go without. If you don't hoard it, someone else will because they're afraid if they don't then somebody else is going to. Common sense just isn't common. It'd be nice to see things normalize again and have people stop panic buying, but I don't see that ever stopping.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I’ve shot 30-40 yr old stored in a drawer 22 lr. It all went boom when struck. I wouldn’t recommend this, but when cleaning out a relative’s house we found some and were like “wonder if it is still good?”. It was.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My dad brought back a Japanese Nambau (sic?) from WWII. Never stored “properly“, always in a closet or drawer. Around 1974, about 30 years after it came to the states, I decided I was going to see if it fires (did not get dad’s permission). Lo and behold, one trigger pull, one shot. Haven’t tried to fire it since. Only have 1.5 magazine worth of ammo.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Are you trying to say “don’t stockpile?”

Regardless. 30 years ago, I started building ammo cans with a box of every caliber I shoot. This is before I reloaded as much as I do now. I have about 25 of these cans left. Every year on New Year’s I open one, put all in my shooting shack, and throughout the year shoot most of it. It comes out of the ammo can looking like the day I put it in, and it has all shot just fine.

Buy it when it’s cheaper, or you can afford it. Store it well, then don’t worry about when there are these shortages. If more people did this, there wouldn’t be shortages.
    No, I'm not saying don't stockpile.

I'm saying , "Think it over and make a good plan to deal with the fact all this stuff DOES go bad GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY AND ENOUGH TIME."

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

These gun forums are pretty funny sometimes. One week it is full of people needing special brand 22lr because only half that cheap stuff goes off and in another thread next week EVERYONE is digging out 40 - 60 year old stuff and every single one "goes bang" and they are thrilled, ready to bet their life on it. Next week the same people wouldn't shoot Sam Colt's reloads from his estate auction.

Do what ya'll want. I don't remember now why I even bothered to bring it up. Good luck, forget I ever mentioned it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    61wO0vfXgNL.jpg

Done.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

These gun forums are pretty funny sometimes. One week it is full of people needing special brand 22lr because only half that cheap stuff goes off and in another thread next week EVERYONE is digging out 40 - 60 year old stuff and every single one "goes bang" and they are thrilled, ready to bet their life on it. Next week the same people wouldn't shoot Sam Colt's reloads from his estate auction.

Do what ya'll want. I don't remember now why I even bothered to bring it up. Good luck, forget I ever mentioned it.
    Well yeah, not all brands work flawlessly in every gun. So sometimes cheap ammo may have harder primers that may make them less reliable in some guns. There's plenty of other reasons ammo may fail to fire. Yes, ammo can go bad from time to time. But, if stored properly the likelihood of it being an issue is really small. I've shot plenty of older ammo in my life without any issues. I may have had 1 or 2 rounds that didn't go off, but I've had that with new top of the line ammo too.
    Maybe it's just like stocking your home pantry. Use the older stuff first and keep the freshest stuff for a later date.

Regardless, I'm not trusting Sam Colt's reloads from an estate auction. Just because he was a fine gun designer doesn't mean he always followed beat reloading practices. I don't shoot anyone's reloads unless I'm 100% confident in their practices. I've turned down plenty of reloads from other people.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My dad brought back a Japanese Nambau (sic?) from WWII. Never stored “properly“, always in a closet or drawer. Around 1974, about 30 years after it came to the states, I decided I was going to see if it fires (did not get dad’s permission). Lo and behold, one trigger pull, one shot. Haven’t tried to fire it since. Only have 1.5 magazine worth of ammo.

Only $70 for 50rds.

Only $131 for dies

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No, I'm not saying don't stockpile.

I'm saying , "Think it over and make a good plan to deal with the fact all this stuff DOES go bad GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY AND ENOUGH TIME."
    Sure, if you store it under your leaky water heater for a few years.

It was a pretty pointless post. You’d have been better off saying “if you are going to store ammo for a long time be careful how you do it to help keep it from going bad.” Like gets posted on a semi-regular basis.

There’s some folks in this thread who have considerable background and experience in the science of this stuff, not just anecdotal evidence, and who have extensively posted about real world testing over the years.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I just fired a box of paper Remington 20 gauge from the 50's. Got tired of storing them. All went fine. I think I have more somewhere. Need to dig them out.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    what is the difference in hoarding and getting when you can? There are seemingly an endless loop of questionable times playing since the 22lr shortage in 2016.
    I agree 100%.

I'd contend that it's not hoarding if you're going to use it. I don't necessarily have a desire to "hoard" or "stockpile" massive amounts of ammo or components in my home. But the manufacturers have repeatedly shown that they cannot be counted on to provide a steady and continuous supply, and I shoot a lot, so I have to keep enough on hand to get through the increasingly long and frequent shortages.

If you shoot 5-10k rounds a year, and the store shelves are empty for 2 years, you have to keep 10-20k rounds on hand at all times if you're going to keep shooting. And after two years of not being able to buy any, you have to replenish that supply to prepare for the next time everybody loses their little minds and we can't buy ammo again. It's made worse by the fact that it's getting harder and harder to predict how frequently those shortages are going to be, or how long they're going to last. Some might call that hoarding, but it's really just basic math. As long as the supply chain remains unreliable, the cycle will continue.

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    As a rule of thumb, how often should traditional boxes of ammunition be cycled out if they are not in use? I mean everybody's stockpiles to some extent. How long before you cut ties

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As a rule of thumb, how often should traditional boxes of ammunition be cycled out if they are not in use? I mean everybody's stockpiles to some extent. How long before you cut ties
    Never. The stuff doesnt go bad on its own. As long as it is stored properly in a dry place, it will never go bad.

Now if you keep it in the musty farmhouse basement root cellar and moisture gets to it and corrodes it, sure. Thats a problem. But in the back of your closet or gun room its fine indefinitely.

What you DO need to rotate is your round in the pipe of your carry piece. Each time you cycle that round into the chamber, the bullet sets back ever so slightly. A handful of times is no big deal. But if you always keep the same round in the chamber and replace it every time you remove it to practice, clean, etc. Dozens and dozens of setbacks will reduce the OAL and increase pressures at detonation.

So before you reload the gun, put a different round in the chamber.

Top Bottom