• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    It will need some kind of sealer. I refinished an SKS stock a few weeks ago. Birchwood Casey Tru Oil does a wonderful job..and you can put as few as 3 coats on it or as many as you want. The more coats the deeper the finish looks...It can be buffed out to a shine so bright you better have sunglasses. Good Luck

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It will need some kind of sealer. I refinished an SKS stock a few weeks ago. Birchwood Casey Tru Oil does a wonderful job..and you can put as few as 3 coats on it or as many as you want. The more coats the deeper the finish looks...It can be buffed out to a shine so bright you better have sunglasses. Good Luck

What he said! If you don't seal it your going to get staining from sweat, cleaning fluids, oils, etc.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    most use tung oil. I used a spray polyurethane on mine.

Before:
    AK47Before.jpg

After:
    IMG_1706.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use tung oil. You can buy it in any hardware store. Wipe it on with your fingers. 3 or 4 applications usually does it unless your wood is really slurping it up. Before the final coat, steel wool the stock, then wipe some more on. You cannot mess it up. If you think you did, steel wool it then wipe some more on.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    +1 on the tung oil. Make sure it's "pure tung oil", and not "tung oil finish", which contains varnish. Here's a source if you can't find it locally: Pure Tung Oil

Boiled linseed oil is also a traditional stock finish oil. You can find it at Lowes, or Menard's. It has a slightly different color, and seems to dry slower than PTO.

Either oil should be applied once a year to maintain the finish.

If you want the shiny, waterproof finish, you can use polyurethane. It just depends on the look you're going for.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The top rifle M14/M1a has only Pure Tung Oil, I can add coats when it seems to dry from time to time.

The rifle below that, M1 Garand, was stripped, stained, an then a few coats of Formbes Tung Oil Low Gloss which has varnish in it. This makes it much more waterproof an looks good, an extra coats can be added, I usually steel wool lightly before adding coats. However, after you use a varnish, whether in the Formbes tung oil or in a stain, Pure Tung Oil or Boiled Linseed Oil cannot be added to it, it will just sit an not be able to soak through the varnish. Its simply a matter of choice....good luck.

picture.php

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I see some beautiful rifles here.
    DragonGunner, I really like the grain pattern on that Garand. Do you have a higher resolution picture of that?

Heres a 91/30 I did a few months ago. If I remember correctly it has about 20 hand rubbed coats of TruOil.

russianb.jpg

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    In my understanding the tung oil and the birchwood casey tru-oil are pretty similar....I used the tru-oil because I found it at wal mart for 6$ you can re-coat after about 3 hrs...It kinda makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing you made a gun look so much better..
    this is my refinish
    IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Imprvessive guys! My SKS only has 3 coats of tru-oil in those pics...I put another coat on it after every cleaning...so a total of 6 right now...That is the coolest thing about the oil...just put on another coat whenever I want and it looks better every time but I still shoot in between coats.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    db1959....thanks...yes I have better pics...but I have to go to shrink pictures, then enter them in my photos, an by then they have lost a lot of clarity...heres another of the tiger Garand....wish I could post directly from my computer because they are so much better..
    picture.php

Top Bottom