• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I have more, but not a ton. Always had bolt action rifles, nad just bought my first AR this year. Also got a XDM latter part of next year so I've been reloading brass as I find decently priced componets.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have more. I am sitting on what I have for the most part and trying to reload all my components in anticipation for the summer. Hope people stop hording soon and things settle down. If not I will keep sitting and may even sell some stuff off. No good to me if I cant get projectiles at a decent price and things continue to be hard to find and crazyly priced.

DEstes001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Western Hendricks County
    I have a little more than last year but only because I have purchased more brass a while back. I only shoot what I reload, I can't afford the other stuff typically. My problem is I never had enough foresight to realize the reloading supplies would dry up too so now I have to kind of ration what I shoot since I can only reload until my supplies are gone. No small pistol primers anywhere that I can find. I have about 6000 small rifle but not any small pistol so not much shooting with the Glock!!

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Reloading more and shooting less. What is a comfortable amount of supplies to keep on hand?

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I definitely have more now than this time this year.....because I did not own a gun this time last year. I know, I know....I'M part of the problem. But I am not hoarding, just want to keep 500-750 rounds of 9mm to have enough for 3-4 range trips in case I can't find anything for a few weeks between the trips. I have 700 now, but will go through 300-400 tomorrow with my girlfriend's two boys sending my ammo down range as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have alot less. I typically keep enough ammo to last a couple years (I shoot about 30,000 a year) But I do that so in times like this I can still shoot and not buy any. When prices stabolize ill re stock up and keep up on my supply

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    I definitely have more now than this time this year.....because I did not own a gun this time last year. I know, I know....I'M part of the problem. But I am not hoarding, just want to keep 500-750 rounds of 9mm to have enough for 3-4 range trips in case I can't find anything for a few weeks between the trips. I have 700 now, but will go through 300-400 tomorrow with my girlfriend's two boys sending my ammo down range as well.

Start saving your brass now.. You will thank me later.

chilly2477

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    I'm down to a couple hundred rounds, not paying those ridiculous prices, grab 3 boxes at a time here and there at wally world. So hard to watch people buying it for 250-300 for 500 when you can buy 3 boxes at a time and end up paying half that.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think everyone has to decide what their minimum amount of ammo is. I fire maybe once a month or every other month. I don't have the time or the money to go every weekend, that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy that.

I think I am like most shooters...I use mainly three pistol, and two rifle rounds. I tend to keep more rifle ammo on hand than pistol, for some reason. I set my minimum on hand amount and I don't let it get below that. If that's all I have, I don't go shooting. In the mean time I am constantly on the hunt for new ammo, and reloading components.

I also think you just can't have enough .22 LR on hand, because a good day at the range can make 1000 rounds of that stuff vanish....especially if you have a few kids with you. .22 ammo is like buying milk....you never ask if you need it, you just know you do.

Even if you are laying down $25 for 500 rounds, that is some good cheap entertainment. I remember when I was kid at scout camp, we'd shoot these old bolt action single shot rifles...the range master would hand us a board with ten rounds stuck in ten neatly drilled holes, for a dime. I never went to summer camp with less than two rolls of dimes.

Those days are LONG GONE.

tyler79durdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    JuMped on the .22 ammo thread linked to s and w forum on where it is, last nght only to find the extreme of the extreme posting in real time as they hit the order button on thirty and fifty boxes at a time... Awful. Who needs 25,000 rounds of. 22?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    JuMped on the .22 ammo thread linked to s and w forum on where it is, last nght only to find the extreme of the extreme posting in real time as they hit the order button on thirty and fifty boxes at a time... Awful. Who needs 25,000 rounds of. 22?

Who needs guns or ammo at all?

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Natchez had Winchester bulk packs of 500 for around $30 (probably about $35 after shipping) this morning. I picked up 3 packs. Hate to do it with the shipping costs but feel better knowing I have some on the way.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In

Oh, I don't know. 25k would be a nice pile to be sitting on about now. I got caught in pretty bad shape in '08 and was reduced to making the Walmart crawl and scouring the internet for endless hours to find enough rimfire to shoot. When the prices stabalized I bought several cases of my go-to target, practice, and plinking brands. When I get through about half of that I buy another case.

My purchasing habits were definately changed by that shortage.. I used to keep enough for two shooting trips. Now I try to keep 24 months worth in storage. By buying in bulk I've gotten a quantity discount on the purchase. there are further savings from missing the price increases.

I'm in good enough shape that I'll weather this storm until things return to the new normal without having to cancel or curtail any range trips.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Oh, I don't know. 25k would be a nice pile to be sitting on about now. I got caught pretty in pretty bad shape in '98 and was reduced to making the Walmart crawl and scouring the internet for endless hours to find enough rimfire to shoot. When the prices stabalized I bought several cases of my go-to target, practice, and plinking brands. When I get through about half of that I buy another case.

My purchasing habits were definately changed by that shortage.. I used to keep enough for two shooting trips. Now I try to keep 24 months worth in storage. By buying in bulk I've gotten a quantity discount on the purchase. there are further savings from missing the price increases.

I'm in good enough shape that I'll weather this storm until things return to the new normal without having to cancel or curtail any range trips.

The future cost savings are huge. I bought 200 458 bullets to load 458 socom. I paid roughly $20 per hundred. They're $40 now. My next purchase will be 500-1000 to cover my lifetime. Are they ever really going to get cheaper than $40 per hundred again? Most likely not.

I've bought enough 22lr to last my lifetime. The most I've paid is $13.95 per 550 rounds. It'll be closer to $50 in 20 years. Why not buy a lifetime supply now?

jrlj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The future cost savings are huge. I bought 200 458 bullets to load 458 socom. I paid roughly $20 per hundred. They're $40 now. My next purchase will be 500-1000 to cover my lifetime. Are they ever really going to get cheaper than $40 per hundred again? Most likely not.

I've bought enough 22lr to last my lifetime. The most I've paid is $13.95 per 550 rounds. It'll be closer to $50 in 20 years. Why not buy a lifetime supply now?

You're thinking like I do!!

Top Bottom