• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And the cheaper Stoeger may be fine for a light user.

I had people tell me I'd break my Condor in no time. It was a $400 O/U impulse buy. Not pretty, very utilitarian, and it just works. Points well. Love it.

But if I ever put more than 200 rounds a year through it, Its a VERY busy year. I think I have had it for 10 years or so.

So the Stoeger may be good for somebody who occasionally hunts, shoots, etc. But not necessarily for a gamer gun, or someone who religiously shoots clays every week.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had bought the 20 ga version (M3020) some years ago for my kids to learn to shoot a shotgun. Was a great, lightweight, easy cycling gun for them to learn on. My son ended up joining the trap team at school, and decided to use the Stoeger because he had some shoulder issues caused by mild scoliosis. He probably put 1000 rounds a year through that gun for 2 years on the team, and never once had an issue. I just recently sold it to my son in law who was looking for a good rabbit gun.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I too am getting into waterfowl. I was told the Beretta A300 being the new hot thing, but saw Stoeger and Mossberg with cheaper options.

Not to hijack the thread but does it have to be semi? Can you not hunt waterfowl with O/U or pump guns? Or is autoloaders just the optimal method?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I too am getting into waterfowl. I was told the Beretta A300 being the new hot thing, but saw Stoeger and Mossberg with cheaper options.

Not to hijack the thread but does it have to be semi? Can you not hunt waterfowl with O/U or pump guns? Or is autoloaders just the optimal method?
    If I were going to hunt waterfowl, I would definitely want something with a synthetic stock. Sure, you could use any gun so long as your ammo chambers. Seems like most waterfowl ammo that I've seen are either 3" or 3 1/2" so as long as it loads it's really personal preference. It does seem that most manufacturers design some autoloaders specifically for waterfowl hunting.

Otherwise, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. So, if a person can stretch the budget a little and get a better quality gun upfront it's a better investment. If buying what I would call an entry level, lower budget gun is what their means allows that's fine. Get in where you fit in. One of the biggest advantages of the A300 vs the Stoeger or Mossberg is it comes with their Kickoff recoil reduction system. Probably makes shooting those magnum loads more enjoyable or at least tolerable.

Just a couple days ago I saw a Franchise Affinity and a Browning Maxus listed in the classified section. I have no association with either but both seem to be priced reasonably to me and would be significantly better options if a person's budget allows it.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Just a couple days ago I saw a Franchise Affinity and a Browning Maxus listed in the classified section. I have no association with either but both seem to be priced reasonably to me and would be significantly better options if a person's budget allows it.
    No input on the Franchi? I saw an Affinity 3.5 and it seemed cool, but have no clue about their Inertia system. Do you have an opinion on the Super Black Eagle? Every "Top ## Waterfowl Shotguns" list always has them at the top.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No input on the Franchi? I saw an Affinity 3.5 and it seemed cool, but have no clue about their Inertia system. Do you have an opinion on the Super Black Eagle? Every "Top ## Waterfowl Shotguns" list always has them at the top.
    I've never handled the Franchise Affinity myself. However, from the video reviews I've seen online they look to be a good quality. I'd kinda say they are kind in the upper entry level to lower mid grade guns. Definitely a step up from Stoeger and similar priced options.
    I do have an opinion on the Uper Black Eagle. The one I've shot is actually the SBE-3. Quality is absolutely fantastic. I really like the soft rubber comb and feel it would be great for heavy loads on a cold day. Functionally, it's a bit different than anything I've ever owned and was a little confused by the assembly instructions. For me, if I was buying a waterfowl gun I think it would be a great option. But, it's not a budget gun IMO. Gun fit wasn't the best for me but was workable

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Gas guns will usually be significantly softer shooting than inertia guns in my experience but the Franchi will be a step up from a Stoeger though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a fan of steel shot for waterfowl.
    My exp was in the old days though, conventional pellets.

Maybe the cutter and hex stuff works much better.

Bismuth worked well but is/was expensive.

Last edited:

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    And the cheaper Stoeger may be fine for a light user.

I had people tell me I'd break my Condor in no time. It was a $400 O/U impulse buy. Not pretty, very utilitarian, and it just works. Points well. Love it.

But if I ever put more than 200 rounds a year through it, Its a VERY busy year. I think I have had it for 10 years or so.

So the Stoeger may be good for somebody who occasionally hunts, shoots, etc. But not necessarily for a gamer gun, or someone who religiously shoots clays every week.
    Do you think Cimmaron or Tristar would be enough of an improvement to justify the higher cost?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you think Cimmaron or Tristar would be enough of an improvement to justify the higher cost?
    I dont know, honestly. I just know mine is fine for me, but I dont shoot it much. I'm sure I'd wear it out if I was going to the range 26 weekends a year. But I might run 200 rounds through mine in a busy year.

From talking to the pros, either you are fine with a cheap shotgun that runs well for occasional use, or a quality (Remington, Beretta, etc) shotgun for requent competition use.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've never shot one, but TriStar it seems has improved on their quality some. I know a couple people who shoot them regularly and swear by them. Like everything else there's always some who also swear at them.
    I have zero knowledge or even heard any feedback about Cimmeron.

Top Bottom