• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robin Hood

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Richmond, IN
    Speaking as one of those "clear thinking" educators who has been on the job for 37 years, you need to understand where building principals fit into the chain of command. This principal was following the policy put in place by his employer, the school board. What would happen to you if you disregarded your employer's policies? Keep in mind that the school boards are elected by people like you. The next time you have a school board election, question the candidates about topics like this before voting for them.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Speaking as one of those "clear thinking" educators who has been on the job for 37 years, you need to understand where building principals fit into the chain of command. This principal was following the policy put in place by his employer, the school board. What would happen to you if you disregarded your employer's policies? Keep in mind that the school boards are elected by people like you. The next time you have a school board election, question the candidates about topics like this before voting for them.

This is a situation where I doubt there is a written policy. Policy is written for common events, not the bizarre. In that event I'd say the principal needed to consult with the board, and I can't imagine that being done in this case. The reaction is too kneejerk, and doesn't smack of something that was discussed amongst a group.

Robin Hood

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Richmond, IN
    I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut there IS a written policy. I have two three ring binders on my desk full of policies. My corporation's policy for an event like this is in there.

Also, know that I am not a fan of zero tolerance, but that policy is put in place by the school board, people just like you. If you don't like it, run for your school in the next election and try to change it.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I posted this in the dup thread..
    I may be justifying their actions .. but a vacation after a traumatic incident doesn't sound too bad to me. That and we never know if the assailant may have friends or siblings that may be looking for retribution. So a mandatory cool off period for all parties involved doesn't seem to horrible. I mean its a few days of suspension, it's not like the good kids were expelled or brought up on legal charges.

But also, adding some more to it .. I still don't see the big deal about it all. I mean even a LEO can be required to take time off after a shooting/incident. If it can be that traumatic for a trained LEO then what about a kid just riding to school on a bus. On the surface I can see how it seems wrong to "punish" the good kids. But maybe we're looking at it in the wrong light, we know the "good kids" were heroes. Maybe we can look at it as a vacation, coping time, or even protection from retaliation.

Robin Hood

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Richmond, IN
    Rookie, what would happen to YOU if you didn't follow your employer's policies? Do you have a family that depends on your income? How do you explain to your wife losing your job because you refused to do what your employer wants you to do?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Public schools today are not interested in the best interests of the students, as a general rule. Kids today have to look out for themselves, and unfortunately cannot generally trust that anyone in their school will try to keep them safe. The majority of my sons teachers that I have met are there for a paycheck, and are not in the least interested in much past that. Fortunately there have been a few that are genuinely there to make a positive influence in the children, and are actually look at teaching as a calling, and not just another job.
    As parents, the only thing we can do is take as active a part in our children s lives as we possibly can, and teach them to look out for themselves, because the chances of anyone else looking out for them grow thinner by the year...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If my employer had a policy that was as stupid as suspending a student for potentially saving lives, I would not follow it. If I were to lose my job because of my refusal to follow such policy, I would happily get in the unemployment line, and my wife would be completely supportive of my decision. Punishing someone for doing the right thing is morally wrong. Just doing my job is a pathetic excuse. I seem to remember a bunch of German guards using the same excuse.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Unfortunately some leaders just blindly follow the letter of the law, not the spirit. I was disciplined for an accident in which I was not at fault, they said " destruction of company property" was the infraction. What can you do? Take your lumps and know you did the right thing.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Ok "clear thinking' educator", tell us what YOU would do in the same situation?

So, if a student stops another from raping a third student, do they all three get suspended (or expelled)? And should the student who had the gun pointed at him also be punished?
    And as far as that goes, isn't being expelled the proper punishment (along with being arrested) for having a gun on school property?

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    What a screwed up incident. I know that it could have gone badly by them wrestling the gun away from him but it's very possible it could have gone even worse if he (they) hadn't done so. It's things like this that make people not want to get involved

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut there IS a written policy. I have two three ring binders on my desk full of policies. My corporation's policy for an event like this is in there.

Also, know that I am not a fan of zero tolerance, but that policy is put in place by the school board, people just like you. If you don't like it, run for your school in the next election and try to change it.

The liberals of the world are probably beside themselves that these young men denied them another opportunity to dance over the bodies of dead kids while they push their agenda on We The People.

That said. It's amazing what an uphill battle effecting change in school policy can be. I ran for school board thinking that in order to change policy that my school's board would first need to be changed. "The less we have in writing, the better." is the philosophy of some superintendents and if too many board members forget what they're really there for, well........:wallbash:I feel like this sometimes.......

Last edited:

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    This story seems bizarre enough that I wonder if there's more to it. If he was truly just an innocent bystander that intervened then the suspension is obviously bogus. It sounds like there was an argument and a fight brewing before the kid pulled a gun. I wonder if the "good samaritan" kid was part of it and that's why he was suspended. :dunno: Typically all kids involved in a fight are suspended - it's been that way for decades. A lot of school buses have on-board video these days. It'd be interesting to see footage. So far we've only heard one version of the story.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This story seems bizarre enough that I wonder if there's more to it. If he was truly just an innocent bystander that intervened then the suspension is obviously bogus. It sounds like there was an argument and a fight brewing before the kid pulled a gun. I wonder if the "good samaritan" kid was part of it and that's why he was suspended. :dunno: Typically all kids involved in a fight are suspended - it's been that way for decades. A lot of school buses have on-board video these days. It'd be interesting to see footage. So far we've only heard one version of the story.

I didn't get any of that from the article....the others students said he was a hero and it involved another student.....I read a different article than the one posted though....the student pulled it on a guy he had a ongoing argument with earlier, aimed it at him and 2 students got him down and the 3rd jumped on and took the actual gun. The Superintendent said he suspended the kid because his mother refused to talk to him about it......so what about the other 2 kids that got suspended.....and the police did the investigation, anything the super needed to know he could ask them.....he is a bonehead. There was another school that suspended a 7 yr. old for biting his pop tart into the shape of a gun.....same school? This is your public school system folks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait....someone is actually claiming that there has to be a written policy that says: "Any student who disarms a person threatening another student with a gun shall be suspended." Really? I'd love to see that policy.

If not, what "written policy" are we talking about? What is the wording? What does it require?

If is is simply: "involved in an incident with a gun", there is enough room for interpretation for a person with any amount of common sense to exercise discretion that this is not the situation the policy is meant to apply to.

If there is concern for the students that did the disarming regarding retaliation, the just need to say so.

Plenty of buck passing these days, not enough "buck stops here".

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Seems like homeschooling is the only way to go nowadays. I think that is what the wife and I are going to do when we have kids. All this hysteria over gun shaped objects is ridiculous. I can't willingly sujbect a child to an environment like that especially during critical development years.

Top Bottom