• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    As a non-attorney, a thought came to mind after reading the article. If the gun manufacturers took the advice of the anti-gun lobby and layered on multiple complicated “safeties,” would they not also face liability if a legitimate user was harmed because he became confused and couldn’t put the firearm into action when attempting to defend himself? I agree with the OP. It seems that the manufacturers face liability from multiple angles, with their only sin being that they are unpopular with the left-leaning activist wing of society.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    "The law (prohibiting suing gun makers) allows gun manufacturers to market them as devices necessary for self defense...". The MF'ers tipped their hand. If our guns aren't necessary for defense than there isn't a compelling reason for our right to arms--like that british ***** Peters telling gun owners "sorry about your loss. Take up another sport."

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    "But our legal system has multiple checks to filter out lawsuits that lack merit."

Yeah right. Any body that believes this is a fool. Deep pockets can break less deep pockets with frivolous lawsuits any time they wish.

Without the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005 the far left AG's of several states along with other far left groups would quickly kill the domestic firearms/ammunition manufacturers with 'death by one-thousand cuts' frivolous lawsuits. We know it and they know it...that's what the law was enacted to prevent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the laws still allow these manufacturers to be sued for defective products.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    It's called " incrementalism" I always loved tat word. Anyway it means that instead of banning something, guns, and, booze, smokes just keep putting very small restrictions on us. One little bite at a time till you don't even notice it.

Its like cities restricting the amount of ammo a person can purchase for personal use, or Chicago wanting to put a .50 cent tax on EVERY ROUND BOUGHT.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Paid for by the trial lawyers association I'll bet. The 2A question is irrelevant.

Always follow the money

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    As one person said to me, the tobacco industry has black box warnings on their products, and the alcohol industry tells people to "drink responsibly"... ergo, there should be no legislated protection for the gun industry.

Well, shoot, if that's all it takes to keep the lawsuits at bay, I'm sure the manufacturers can come up with a way to appease the system.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Paid for by the trial lawyers association I'll bet. The 2A question is irrelevant.

Always follow the money

The Brady Center was the moving force behind the Gary Gun lawsuit which directly challenged Indiana's version of this statute. They and other gun control groups are pressing this issue as they did in ​Runnels. If the ATLA is involved, it wouldn't surpise me.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    As one person said to me, the tobacco industry has black box warnings on their products, and the alcohol industry tells people to "drink responsibly"... ergo, there should be no legislated protection for the gun industry.

Well, shoot, if that's all it takes to keep the lawsuits at bay, I'm sure the manufacturers can come up with a way to appease the system.

I’m getting a new tattoo to make myself judgement proof!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When cities and their law firms go after potential revenue streams like they want to with the gun industry I'm wondering if they get first dibs. Is it sort of like during a bankruptcy where the government is first in line, then secured creditors, then everybody else? Maybe first filed, first tried? There isn't a lot of money to go around, nothing like big tobacco. Maybe there will be a mad scramble if protection is ever lifted.

Top Bottom