• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    What canned milk is the closest to what we but out of the refrigerated section?
    Evaporated, condensed, Pet, ECT..... ?
    Want to store some up for cooking mostly. But would be nice to plan a bowl of cereal from tile to time.

TIA Edward.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, none are going to be right up there with fresh, but there are some that are in the neighbourhood. Canned evaporated milk has a decent shelf life and tastes OK. There's also ultra pasteurised milk that comes in cartons that holds up quite well. Brands that come to mind are Parmalat, usually found in the baking section for some reason. Some small containers of organic shelf stable milk are also quite good (I use these for my kids lunches) they can have a shelf life out to about 6 months or better. None of them have years of life, tho. Powdered is a good enough sub, too. I used it loads while overseas. You get used to it, eventually.
    I'd suggest for long term milk needs that you invest in goats if you have the space. They're better than all of the above, and a good source of meat and cheese, too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kroger had Carnation evaporated on sale for $.80 a can. I picked up 4 expiration dated 3/2012 to rotate out with my other 3-4 on hand. Also picked up 1/2 gals for the freezer rotation.

I'd like to hear more on details of the long term powdered milk. Not to thread jack, but powdered eggs also.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    MILK, without refrigeration, until it was needed. I've heard it called, "irradiated milk", "long-life milk", and "shelf stable milk", milk, irradiated Milk that has been subjected to ultraviolet light, when the 7‐dehydrocholesterol naturally present is converted into vitamin D.

I was raised on Alpura 2000, now called Alpura Clasica (It was from the future!) as soon as it became available. It has a very distinct flavor, better than Parmalat.
    Parmalat SpA (BIT: PLT), is a multinationalItaliandairy and food corporation. Having become the leading global company in the production of UHT (Ultra High Temperature) milk. Today, Parmalat is a company with a global presence, having major operations in Europe, Latin America, North America, Australia, China and South Africa.

Still specializing in UHT milk and milk derivatives (varieties of yoghurt, cheese, butter, ice cream, etc.), the group also has an interest in fruit juices. These products are distributed under well-known brand names such as Lactis, Santal, Malù, and Kyr. Its worldwide operations include almost 140 production centres and more than 36,000 employees, while 5,000 Italian dairy farms are dependent on the company for the bulk of their business. Its shares are listed on the Milan Stock Exchange.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    My wife always has a couple cartons of the shelf stable on hand. Never had a problem with it and will keep it on hand for when we run out of the regular.

gemlit-eyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    powdered milk

I have been useing powdered for some time now. add vanila extract makes it much more palitable. Dosn't hurt cerial flavor either.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Go with the powdered. Condensed is good to have around for cooking, the powdered will (to me) taste better after its been chilled for a while.

We had powdered when I was young and although it is not the same as store bought milk it will fill the void:D You can drink water and powder mix fruit drinks all you want but after a few weeks a glass of milk would be a treat. Also, it would be a great barter item to a family who has young children.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    here you go

pump-breast-milk.jpg

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Bumping this older thread-came up with nothing using search function.
    My local Dollar Tree carries Gossner premium shelf stable milk. I store both powdered and liquid LTS milk products. The Gossners is very good. 1 QT for $1. Served cold is almost undistinguishable from fresh. Best "use by date" is around 1 year from purchase. I have used some 8 months past that date with no ill effects. I do store all in cool cellar environment. It comes in whole, 2% and skim. The whole and 2% is what I have tasted-both good. I can tolerate the powdered non fat dry and Nido brand when mixed well and chilled but am also starting to add the Gossners to my preps as well. Hope this helps others.
    NVG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1 on the Gossner. I was fortunate to be at Dollar Tree as they were stocking the shelf and grabbed an unopened case off the floor. There are several internet reviews with folks that have used it 2 years past date. I find that an opened carton will be just fine in the fridge for 3+ weeks. Very convenient to have around.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So what is the Gossner stuff? Ultra-pasteurized or sterlized in some way before packaging?

If it's that good, you could probably improve the powdered and extend the use of the Gossner by mixing them.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    rhino, it's stated as "Ultra hi temp pasteurized process and packaging keeps the milk fresh and natural for several months without refrigeration".

Top Bottom