Storing a weapon in a vehicle while at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I have to go to the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center which is a military installation in North Vernon, Indiana at some point in the not so distant future for several days. I will have to sleep and stay there on grounds during my training dates.

I will only have training for half the day and be free to do whatever for the rest of my time and I'd like to keep my CM9 stored in my vehicle so I can carry it when out and about. I am not military and am going to be there for some Department of Correction based training.

I've never been there before so I have no idea what the setup is. Am I good to go, or no? I'll be driving my own personal vehicle but it will be parked on grounds.

(I checked their site and couldn't find the info)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We were told absolutely no firearms on the property. If you want to confirm it just call up the MP station. You may be able to check it into a local PD i think edinburgh was doing that for guys going to cajmtc.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Thanks. I wasn't entirely for sure. I know military type places are normally 'no', but since they also have some civilian based stuff there I wasn't for sure.

I'll find out for sure though before I go up. If I can't have it stored in my vehicle or somewhere that I can easily get to it when I leave every day after training then I'll just leave it at home. Storing it securely anywhere else seems like it'll be a pain in the butt.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have been there twice for training and nothing was said about me being armed, but the marked IMPD car probably helped. I didn't see any non-LE or -military vehicles being searched when they entered the grounds, but I wasn't sitting at the gate watching. They do have DOC inmates on the grounds doing work, so definitely call and ask.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    We were told absolutely no firearms on the property. If you want to confirm it just call up the MP station. You may be able to check it into a local PD i think edinburgh was doing that for guys going to cajmtc.

Edinburg is 40-ish miles from MUTC (depending on the route). North Vernon is the closest city, so OP might check with their PD.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    yeah i was just using epd as an example. They checked in the guns used at a shooting competition held a day before AT was held at atterbury figured muskatatuck may have something similar.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have been there a few times also, and firearms were not mentioned. Each time I was there, security at the gate was civilian. I did not see any MP's.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    civilians guys work the gates at every military installation ive been to in the last several years but there is still a mp station on post. The securitas folks are pretty cool to deal with too and may be able to help you out.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    If it is a federal military installation then firearms are not allowed. It is federal property and state and fall under federal law. You get caught with a firearm on federal property and you will be subject to prosecution.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I'll call and find out for sure on Monday. Sounds like it's a no go though, which is fine. Laws are laws and will be followed. Not worth the consequences if it's not allowed and I do it . I like my job and freedom, both of which I'd like to keep. :)

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Not sure if at least some of MNWR is on the same proerty, but The Mrs I I just went there today w/ several guns, including NFA items, and saw no mention of firearms besides the entrance of actual buildings. As there was no security, I'm doubting that the same policies would apply.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Just FYI, I kept it at home. Once I arrived there we weren't permitted to leave for 4 days anyway so I didn't have the chance to travel freely like I was picturing. Non-training hours were spent sleeping.

So I guess it worked out.

For the record I don't think they check for them but once I pulled up they immediately noticed my dash cam and politely told me to remove it and reminded me that taking pictures or video is strictly prohibited. I never did call and ask like I said I would, I decided I'd just leave it at home, but I would definitely request before assuming one way or another.

So for future reference of anyone reading this thread. If you go there for training, your training may not permit you to leave and the people there are probably a better shot than you anyhow so they'll get your back if **** hits the fan, lol ;)

Top Bottom