• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I had heard that storing my powder in the dispenser was a bad idea. I am getting pretty tired of emptying my dispenser after every time I use it.

Can I store my powder in my dispenser or will it corrode the dispenser?
    I'm not too worried about it going boom, since I don't safe my powder anyways.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Storing for a few days if you are going to be using it is no big deal. Storing it for months is not such a good idea. If you are storing it in the dispenser for months on end, at least protect it from light.

The powder will degrade faster in the dispenser and will degrade the plastic of the dispenser, but it's not a huge deal. Make darn sure you are labeling what powder it is in the dispenser, the potential for screw ups there can have catastrophic repercussions.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Modern gunpowders are totally non-reactive. They won't make anything rust. They are totally non-hygroscopic. They won't degrade the plastic in your measure any more than the plastic in the original container.

If you are using ONLY one powder for all your loads, nothing can be harmed by leaving the powder in the hopper. If you use several powders, sooner or later you will forget what powder you used last.

That is why we should empty out the powder measure. I admit, I leave a sticky note on the hopper and the powder container next to the measure to remind me. But it is not the best practice.

When I am loading, shooting, loading the same cartridge for competition, powder is the hopper for months at a time. Of course, it is getting used and replenished too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Modern gunpowders are totally non-reactive.

That's not quite true. Light and oxygen will degrade them over time and most powder dispensers don't have as tight of a seal as the stock container, and are see-through, so are not the best long term storage option. But as in your case (and in mine), when you are using it and continuously replenishing it there's no problem.

Having said that though, MOST shooters will never notice a difference even with several years of powder stored like that, but it bears mentioning so they can be fully informed. As you stated and I did in my previous post, the biggest danger is that of mixing up your powders.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I dont think its a big deal storing it for awhile only thing like eveyone says you will need to label or remember what powder is in there that way you dont mix powders. (RCBS Powder Dispenser which has a green tint) that might help over a clear tube.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That's not quite true. Light and oxygen will degrade them over time and most powder dispensers don't have as tight of a seal as the stock container, and are see-through, so are not the best long term storage option. But as in your case (and in mine), when you are using it and continuously replenishing it there's no problem.

Having said that though, MOST shooters will never notice a difference even with several years of powder stored like that, but it bears mentioning so they can be fully informed. As you stated and I did in my previous post, the biggest danger is that of mixing up your powders.

Roger that. Powder will degrade over time if not kept in a sealed container, but it takes many years to occur as you say. My comment was aimed toward the OP's concern that the powder would cause corrosion during the short periods he was referring to. Therefore my response that modern powder is totally non-reactive.

But all bets are off if your grandchildren grow up and go to college while the powder is sitting in an unsealed container.

Sometimes I hate communicating by written word. Thanks.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I dump my powder.

Each to his own on this one. My two powder measures are RCBS Uniflow+the measure assembly on my Dillon RL550.
    At the end of a load session, I dump+cycle to remove all that is left. To me--just cleaning up..
    Yes powder will discolor the plastic on both of these powder measures, if left in for any amount of time.
    If you are the type to pick up/clean up your work area after a job is completed then you probably will be dumping your powder measure also..Just my $.02 worth..Bill.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    There is one other thing to keep in mind with powder that's not in a sealed container. Over time, the powder can "clump" a little bit which can clog some dispensers resulting in light or possibly non-existent loads. Keep the lid sealed as best you can. :twocents:

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I typically empty my powder measure after each reloading session, but I am concerned about humidity affecting the powder (I reload in an unfinished basement). I also keep my primers in military ammo cans with a couple sticks of chalk to absorb moisture. Is this reasonable or am I being paranoid? :scratch:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have left powder in my progressive loader all season for years. Since I reload at least every other week all summer, it is not like the stuff sits a long time. When I am done loading what I need, I just put a pillow case over the whole reloader. I do this mostly to keep the dust off, and to keep visitors from pulling the handle. Since all pistol ammo I load on the progressive uses the same powder, it is never a problem having to switch things out. In the fall starts shotgun season, and the MEC progressive gets used more. Same deal, same powder, same shot, so it gets the pillow case also. I never had any problems.

Of course I didn't have any curious children or disrespectful teen age vandals in my house. If I did, I would probably keep the powder and primers put away.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    As others have said, just put it back in the container when you are done. It is much safer to do that every time than to try and remember what you loaded last.

D

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    You know, an O-1 should not shoot anything larger than a cap-gun. I guess it'll be alright if you get a Lance Corporal to help. :): :patriot:

Top Bottom