• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Thinking about 7.62x39 for the AKM. How do you store your spare (not loaded into magazines) ammo? Stripper clips in pouches, factory boxes in a pack/pouch, or just loose ammo in a dump pouch or bag?

Anyone know of an AK speedloader that works worth a darn with strippers? Those sheet metal ones are complete crap.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I preload mags and pack in. Then I have an "assault bag" if you believe in the term. That consist of more ammo and bigger weapon load out. Then I also have ammo cans ready to go if it was a scenario I was going to my Bol and had time to grab and a way to transport (truck still being operational).

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, I'm doing a two part setup as well. I plan on having an older styled suspender/belt combat rig with mags, canteen, knife, first aid kit. Pretty much stuff that needs accessed ASAP if needed. Most people are all about chest rigs now, but I've never cared for them. Then I have a BOB/backpack with additional ammo, water, food, more extensive medical supplies, camping gear, extra clothes, pretty much anything I need later but can spare a moment to get it out. I'm thinking of just going with the chargers. Would keep the ammo nice and neat and if I switched my AK for an SKS I could just drop the magazines entirely from the loadout and just charger load the SKS.

Loose ammo in retrospect seems like a really bad idea. Just gets damaged, lost, and makes noise. The boxes are simpler because I'd have to manually strip the rounds off of the chargers to load them, but if the boxes get damaged I just end up with loose ammo which can't happen with the chargers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I keep a couple AR mags loaded, and a box of pistol ammo in one of the pockets of my BOB. I also have an ammo can with the rest as an optional. That way I have bare essentials, but if I can carry it a couple hundred rounds each are ready to go. There is also a little extra room that if I need to ditch the ammo can later I can transfer a couple hundred rounds to the bag and move on.

For those concerned about boxes breaking down, my dad had a bunch of plastic ammo boxes. The only downside is they are a little bulkier than the cardboard. Also I found they tended to deform. Many of dad's wont latch, the hinge is ripping, etc. Here is an example, right down to the brand:
    Ammunition boxes for rifles by MTM Case-Gard? - Plastic ammunition reloading boxes and cartridge cases

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Like the others said, I have a separate bag with preloaded mags in it. Actually a couple; one for the M14 and one for the AR. Myself, I am going with a battle belt and assault vest/chest rig (depending on which one I grab) setup. Then the BOB and Assault pack.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So much of this is age/condition dependent. If it is just the wife and I bugging out ahead of a storm or SHTF we will be driving if possible. Our age and condition would limit us to maybe Packing our gear about 600 ft at best. I have Totes set up to pitch into the truck with all the survival gear and food. BOB and GHB as well. Separate bag for ammo/mags and related gear.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Well my biggest problem is what form to have spare ammo. I've got my magazines loaded, but I'd like to carry ammo to top them off after action (heaven forbid they actually have to be used though). I just don't know if I should throw chargers or just boxes of ammo into my BOB/assault pack/whatever you choose.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Well my biggest problem is what form to have spare ammo. I've got my magazines loaded, but I'd like to carry ammo to top them off after action (heaven forbid they actually have to be used though). I just don't know if I should throw chargers or just boxes of ammo into my BOB/assault pack/whatever you choose.

I store my extra ammo and magazines in vacuum sealed packs with O2 absorbers. Cut a small slit for easy opening on one side. Loose ammo in the pouches pack in tighter than in boxes but also makes holes over time, put a thin piece of cardboard (like from the back of a note pad) on either side of loose ammo to prevent puncturing. I find this works really good for me.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I store extra ammo in my GHB/car trunk in heavy duty ziplock bags. Pack it tight and then keep it somewhat protected. Keeps the weight/bulk down from having extra mags, but I do have a couple extra mags loaded too.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I store my extra ammo and magazines in vacuum sealed packs with O2 absorbers. Cut a small slit for easy opening on one side. Loose ammo in the pouches pack in tighter than in boxes but also makes holes over time, put a thin piece of cardboard (like from the back of a note pad) on either side of loose ammo to prevent puncturing. I find this works really good for me.

Just curious, but why use O2 packs if you vac the ammo anyhow?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I store extra ammo in my GHB/car trunk in heavy duty ziplock bags. Pack it tight and then keep it somewhat protected. Keeps the weight/bulk down from having extra mags, but I do have a couple extra mags loaded too.

You could also give it one wrap each direction with duct tape to secure it so it doesn't puncture the bag.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I bought a bunch of resealable plastic food tubs and store ammo in them. They aren't as easy to pack as in zip-lock freezer bags, but they do the job and seem to be more durable.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    6 preloaded mags in a over the shoulder bag or can just be carried in hand with the strap shortened.
    Great little find at Goodwill !

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    We grew up with a simple rule when packing for moves and it was not until I was older I knew where it came from but at age 50 it still works both for moving and gear.

Don't pack air.

If a box will weigh 200lbs when full, it is too big or packed with the wrong items. Sometimes you will pack air but if you are judicious in the application of this rule, very little space is wasted. The old man started his career on foot/skis in the arctic, then behind enemy lines and finally in the air. In all cases he had a finite amount of space to work with and max amount of weight to carry.

Mags, original boxes and to stash ammo in unique ways or spaces vac packing it. Beyond the pack is another thing altogether.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Mags are the best way to go. Buy extra mags. People worry way too much about the springs being compressed for long periods of time. I've had my P99 mags loaded 24/7/365 for about 8 years now and they work flawlessly.

Top Bottom