• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    My power went out last month due to a snow/rain storm. I was wondering, what if the power never comes back. I had no water, no canned food...no batteries.

My question is, are there any containers i can buy to store water for years. If i buy bottled water or a gallon of water from the store, they all have an expiration date, now sure why.

I want to be able to store water in the car, as well as my home.

thanks.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My post in:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival-disaster-preparedness/334186-storing-water.html

"Municipal tap water is generally good stored 6-12 months in a cool dark location as is. After that, don't do anything to it but treat it with a little bleach right before use.

You'll hear all sorts of nonsense about rotating it out periodically but unless you expect to immediately drink it there's no need.

Do NOT keep adding bleach every so often. The byproducts of disinfection can build up to toxic levels after a while.

BTW, you only need to treat water you actually drink. Wash water, water used for cooking or bathing, is good to go."

In your case, a few 5 gallon containers are cheap and easy. 2 liter soda bottles are very cheap and good to have a few gallons of water you can use immediately, rotate these out every few months to a year (dump them, refill, presto).

It is NOT complicated regardless of how so people try to make it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Worth repeating.

Filling 2-liter soda bottles after you finish the soda (rinse well) is trivially easy.

My post in:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival-disaster-preparedness/334186-storing-water.html

"Municipal tap water is generally good stored 6-12 months in a cool dark location as is. After that, don't do anything to it but treat it with a little bleach right before use.

You'll hear all sorts of nonsense about rotating it out periodically but unless you expect to immediately drink it there's no need.

Do NOT keep adding bleach every so often. The byproducts of disinfection can build up to toxic levels after a while.

BTW, you only need to treat water you actually drink. Wash water, water used for cooking or bathing, is good to go."

In your case, a few 5 gallon containers are cheap and easy. 2 liter soda bottles are very cheap and good to have a few gallons of water you can use immediately, rotate these out every few months to a year (dump them, refill, presto).

It is NOT complicated regardless of how so people try to make it.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    I've been thinking about this too. I like to keep a gallon in the car but I have concerns about that bpa stuff they say is in plastic. What I'm going to do is buy one of those glass gallons of wine for $10, drink the wine :banana:, and use it to keep the gallon in the car.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been thinking about this too. I like to keep a gallon in the car but I have concerns about that bpa stuff they say is in plastic. What I'm going to do is buy one of those glass gallons of wine for $10, drink the wine :banana:, and use it to keep the gallon in the car.

• The risks posed by BPA (bisphenol-a) to adult humans in some polymers (primarily polycarbonates) drinking bottles have been grossly exaggerated. If you have a container that might contain BPA, it's pretty easy to get rid of almost any that would leach from the material over time by boiling water in it a few times.
    • Most currently available polymer bottles do not contain any significant amount of BPA
    • Two liter soda bottles are made from PET (polyethyleneterephthalate) and do not contain any significant amount of BPA

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy

bpa02.jpg

Most plastic products are marked with a number that corresponds to the type of plastic it is made of. The number, known a as 'recycling code,' can be found within the triangular recycling symbol (see above) that recyclable plastics are marked with. The plastics you want to avoid are numbers 3, 6, and 7 - these are the types that can release nasty hormone disruptors and carcinogens into your food and drink.

#3 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) has di-2-ehtylhexyl phthalate (DEHP). DEHP is an endocrine disruptor and a likely human carcinogen.
    #6 Polystyrene (PS) likely will leach styrene - which is another possible endocrine disruptor and probable human carcinogen- into your drink or food.
    #7 Polycarbonate contains bisphenol-A, a the hormone disruptor. This chemical can leach out when it is heated or exposed to acidic solutions. This type of plastic is very common in sports bottles and is used in most baby bottles and 5-gallon water jugs - watch for this one!
    Studies show polycarbonates can also leach the potentially harmful synthetic hormone Bisphenol A (BPA). This problem is amplified when the container is filled with hot liquids or exposed to high heat such as being left in a car.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    • The risks posed by BPA (bisphenol-a) to adult humans in some polymers (primarily polycarbonates) drinking bottles have been grossly exaggerated. If you have a container that might contain BPA, it's pretty easy to get rid of almost any that would leach from the material over time by boiling water in it a few times.
    • Most currently available polymer bottles do not contain any significant amount of BPA
    • Two liter soda bottles are made from PET (polyethyleneterephthalate) and do not contain any significant amount of BPA

And don't forget, we have been using BPA in the lining of tin cans since the 50's or so, so we have a pretty good history on how humans handle it; unlike the BPA free alternatives which we have only a couple of years experience with. Either way though, I wouldn't store water in the car for more than one summer or so without swapping it out.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I keep a few 55 gal barrels of water in the garage with a little purification should last a year or so. I rotate as needed. Also I keep about 12 cases of bottled water on hand and rotate as I use it. For the car, I keep a case of bottled water in a cooler in the trunk. This keeps it warm in the winter and cool in the summers. Again, I rotate as I use it. For the house, I keep the 55 gal barrels in the garage, plus counting the hot water heater and two rain barrels I keep a few weeks weeks of watering hand. I made surety buy a house on a big pond and have a berkey filter and many extra filters to ensure we have potable water

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Aside from storing water, I think a good water filter is a good plan B especially since it's portable

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I bought a small pouch at Bass Pro that is just big enough to hold 5 20 oz. bottles of water, perfect size for keeping in the truck. It has a carry handle and can also be strapped to my GHB, and with the 5 bottles in it, the weight is more than manageable for the distance I would have to travel on foot to get home from work (which is what I base all of my truck emergency preps on).

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I always keep a case of water in the truck. I replace it pretty quickly since I'll drink a few bottles a week. Beyond the preparedness factor, its saves me a bunch of money by not buying convenience store drinks.

Top Bottom