• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Ok all, I've been wanting to store ALOT of water but have limited space. I started cleaning out milk jug and 2 liter bottles mad filling them with water and appropriate bleach. I decided to start buying per-bottled water from Kroger cause its so cheap. What are y'all doing for drinking water supply with limited space to store it?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Two liter bottles are good, but ditch the milk jugs. They don't hold up and there is a big potential for growing bad stuff in them if the milk stayed.

For our immediate drinking water we just buy water jugs and recycle them. We don't drink pop very much so we don't have the 2 liter bottles.

I have a little more room than it sounds like you do. I have two 55 gallon drums in the basement for flushing and such. I have the before mentioned water jugs for immediate drinking and I have one 275 gallon tote filled with water in the garage.

Make sure your stuff is food grade and that it is clean before you start putting lots in it. Remember that the water heater and even the back of the stool has water for emergencies.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Look into the Berkey purifiers.
    We've used one for a year now and very happy with it.
    Wouldn't want to be without it now.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    I think with limited storage space the approach would be two fold - store as much water as you can physically since there is no way to "compress" water, and seperately have a method of reusing the water you have collected via purification systems (tablets, pumps, evem straws).

Also they make some neat bathtub bladders for emergency situations so if you had a small amount of warning you could capture a large amount of water quickly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We also have limited space. We buy the jugs of purified water and use milk crates to stack them but we also buy water by the flat. Regular bottled water is available from $3.50 to $6.00 a flat and sometimes it is the 30 bottle flats 2 for $6
    We have these stored away from direct sunlight in cool places through out the house.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Start looking around and you'll find a lot od dead space. Back of bottom cupboards, under the sink, heck, behind and under the couch possibly.

Two important things. First, be sure your water heater is strapped in case of earthquake, there is 40-50 gallons. Second, if you have any empty space in the fridge or freezer, fill these with water bottles. I have 4-5 liters in the top freezer and 8-10 liters in the fridge. This fills the back or unused space and also makes the fridge more efficient.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Short term emergency water.

The use of 2 Liter bottles are the most economical and safe method of the long term storage of water. Add 8 drops of 5.85% to 6% unscented bleach to each bottle, and hand tighten the cap to the bottle.

I have six, 2 Liter bottle crates, that hold 8 bottles a piece.

images

1 gallon = 3.8 Liters.

8 bottles * 6 racks = 48 two Liter bottles = 96 Liters/25 gallons of Water. Recommendations generally run 1 gallon of stored potable water per person for 3 days, + the needed water for pets.

Thus, I have enough water in my home for:

• 25 days for 1 person,
    • 12 days for 2;
    • 8 days for 3;
    • 7 days for 4;
    • 5 days for 5;
    • 4 days for 6;
    • 3 days for 7.

They are capable of being securely stacked out of the way, inside a closet. A dark environment is necessary to maintain integrity of the storage bottle. The tap water contained should be rotated every 6 months, and store bought bottled water is to be rotated once a year.

Save, when needed, water from canned and jar food stored, as they are potable as well.

Have available a bucket to hold untreated water to flush toilets. Have a means to obtain, filter, and clean water for longer term situations. A simple tee shirt that is folded in half will sufficiently filter water of sediments, that will allow one to boil or otherwise treat the water for drinking.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Since my water comes from a well.... as long as I have electricity I am going to be ok correct??? Or are there other reasons to save water???

And on that note has anyone added a handpump to a well??? Curious how much that is going to cost.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Since my water comes from a well.... as long as I have electricity I am going to be ok correct??? Or are there other reasons to save water???

And on that note has anyone added a handpump to a well??? Curious how much that is going to cost.

It depends.

How deep it the well, and at what depth is water present? What is your contingency plan for your well drying up, or worse, becoming contaminated?

Do you have an alternative method of obtaining water is electricity is no longer available?

Top Bottom