• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    Recently I was looking at used cars all over Lake Co. IN and in Illinois needlees to say I was carrying cash and my gun. when crossing the border I removed the magazine from my handgun and locked it in the glove box and locked my pistol in the trunk is this legal? or did I violate Illinois law?

ianreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Williamsport
    in danville there is a gun shop that is mainly for police officers but indiana residences can buy ammunition, i asked the same question to the guy working who was a retired illinois officer and he said "if they dont ask your a dumbass for mentioning anything" he then proceeded to tell me that when he was on the force it had to be in the trunk in a case with the mags.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got to deal with this soon...I will be traveling to Branson MO. Missouri is cool with carrying, however, crossing through IL sucks...I will be taking my gun vault and leaving it in the back of the van I suppose. At least we will be steering clear of Chicago, driving through mostly rural southern parts of the state.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ammo can NOT be in the glove box or anywhere in the passenger compartment. Lock both the gun & ammo in a box in the trunk. I travel into & out of IL several days a week. Its a PITA.

hmmm so how do you manage that in a van? I'm assuming behind the rear most seats?

ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    What I really don't get is in regard to Indiana resident and Illinois. Both states have reciprocity laws. Indiana recognizes Illinois licenses and vice versa for Illinois. Wouldn't they have to recognize an Indiana Carry Permit as well?

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    What I really don't get is in regard to Indiana resident and Illinois. Both states have reciprocity laws. Indiana recognizes Illinois licenses and vice versa for Illinois. Wouldn't they have to recognize an Indiana Carry Permit as well?
    It's not on their books, so no.

Chicago is the problem. It offsets the leanings of a lot of other people in that state from what I've read.

hanley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Alta, IL
    Illinois has no reciprocity for concealed carry.

Illinois State Police Brochure states:

1) Unloaded, and
    2) Enclosed In A Case, and
    3) By Persons Who Have A Valid FOID (firearms owners id) (applies to IL residents only)
    4) Non-residents must be eligible to possess or acquire firearms or ammunition in their state of residence

Law says nothing about in the trunk or readily accessible.

Pay special note that Local Ordinances may superceed basic State laws on transportation.............ie if you are travelling anywhere around Chicago with a handgun and it is found......expect to be hassled.

I carry the State Police Transportation Of Firearms Brochure on the visor of all my vehicles......usually in multiple copies to hand to local LE since they are usually ignorant of the actual requirements.

it can be found here and is a good thing to have if you head into Indian territory:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

HANLEY

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Remember that a magazine can be considered part of the "gun" and as such must be unloaded. I'd sometimes just bring a revolver when going thru Kim Jong Ill-inois Rubulik, so it'd be easy to unload/reload at the border. I avoid the "region" as there is a patchwork of anti-handgun laws starting with Chicago.

As far as traveling to Branson (wife's from Hollister, MO), I'll bring a semi-auto, and just lock it up in a fanny pack at the border and maybe unload the magazine...as soon as I hit St. Louis, I load it back up. Yes, Illinois is a pain, and yes it's because of Chicago, which Ironically had one of the last aspects of civilian carry when they let Alderman carry handguns...go figure. Guess it was so they could defend themselves from constituents when some patronage deal went south...

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    this is a good thread. i never thought to even carry when going to Chicago, but it appears that if the stowing rules are followed, its OK to have it up to the border, stow in IL and have it ready again when we enter IN.

can anyone verify the magazine having to be emptied as well?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Remember that a magazine can be considered part of the "gun" and as such must be unloaded. I'd sometimes just bring a revolver when going thru Kim Jong Ill-inois Rubulik, so it'd be easy to unload/reload at the border. I avoid the "region" as there is a patchwork of anti-handgun laws starting with Chicago.

As far as traveling to Branson (wife's from Hollister, MO), I'll bring a semi-auto, and just lock it up in a fanny pack at the border and maybe unload the magazine...as soon as I hit St. Louis, I load it back up. Yes, Illinois is a pain, and yes it's because of Chicago, which Ironically had one of the last aspects of civilian carry when they let Alderman carry handguns...go figure. Guess it was so they could defend themselves from constituents when some patronage deal went south...

Uhhh... this is not really true. There aren't any laws on the books in IL that define a magazine as "part of the gun." There is also a brochure on legally transporting firearms that specifically addresses this issue. It is legal to carry loaded magazines in the case with your firearm, so long as they are not in the firearm.

As a former IL resident, I am quite familiar with these rules. Glad to be a state that recognizes my right to self-defense and the ability to carry a firearm for such.

Top Bottom