• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok, so I know this probably sounds kinda odd, but I"ve recently become interested in shaving with a straight razor. mostly because looking at the price, blades for my cartridge razor are expensive as hell and a straight razor is pretty cheap. also because I"ve heard it gives a better shave and also because I wanna be the badass that shaves with a straight razor.

I realize that they require daily care (at least with daily use), and that you need an incredibly fine whetstone. most of what I"ve seen online recommends a 4000/8000 stone and a canvas-backed leather strop.

I also realize that this is going to be some hard steel. I've seen new ones that list "440 stainless" for the material. how is 440 hard enough to be used in a straight razor? I"ve seen others listed as 6/8 #777 - what does this mean? I know that increasing numbers are harder steel, but I don't know what all the designations are.

I've seen several on ebay that have broken/chipped edges... if it is near the tip, can it be shortened around the break/chip?

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    before you spend the expense on a quality razor that you may or may not like i would recommend getting this Fromm - Fromm Hair Shaper Razor #107

it uses disposable blades and works great for teaching yourself how to use a straight rrazoron yourself... rrememberyour hand will be blocking your view of your face in the mirror. when u get a real razor i rrecommendstaying away from hollow ground blades and look into getting a set of 3 so you can allow for the "fin" after each use.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    Like anything else if your gonna go that route get a good one,my aunt has been a barber for over 40 years,she`s wicked with her straight razor!Save yourself some time and get a good one,or all your savings will go to TP and stiptic pencils!Check out your local beauty supply,here we have a Sally Beauty Supply,or something like that.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not just get a safety razor and a box of razor blades? Still VERY cheap & low maintenance... And darned near impossible to kill yourself with one.

-J-

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    ok, so I know this probably sounds kinda odd, but I"ve recently become interested in shaving with a straight razor. mostly because looking at the price, blades for my cartridge razor are expensive as hell and a straight razor is pretty cheap. also because I"ve heard it gives a better shave and also because I wanna be the badass that shaves with a straight razor.

I realize that they require daily care (at least with daily use), and that you need an incredibly fine whetstone. most of what I"ve seen online recommends a 4000/8000 stone and a canvas-backed leather strop.

I also realize that this is going to be some hard steel. I've seen new ones that list "440 stainless" for the material. how is 440 hard enough to be used in a straight razor? I"ve seen others listed as 6/8 #777 - what does this mean? I know that increasing numbers are harder steel, but I don't know what all the designations are.

I've seen several on ebay that have broken/chipped edges... if it is near the tip, can it be shortened around the break/chip?

You are not crazy. I have wanted to go this route for some time. But cant find reliable information on which ones would be good quality, care and maintenance. I asked my barber and his answer was I don't know anyone that has used a straight razor since the cowboy days.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    a good straight razor will start at about $130 and go up from there. Get one with a full hollow grind and a rounded tip. In my research and experience it is when people pull the blade away from the face that the nick themselves with the pointed tips.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    a good straight razor will start at about $130 and go up from there. Get one with a full hollow grind and a rounded tip. In my research and experience it is when people pull the blade away from the face that the nick themselves with the pointed tips.
    I"ve found used "vintage" ones on ebay for like $15 without damage. Is there any particular reason to go with a full-hollow as opposed to a half-hollow or a wedge grind?
    thats kinda what started my interest :laugh:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Plus, if someone breaks into your house while you're shaving and you didn't bring your pistol with you, his jugular can be laid open in an instant!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    You are not crazy. I have wanted to go this route for some time. But cant find reliable information on which ones would be good quality, care and maintenance. I asked my barber and his answer was I don't know anyone that has used a straight razor since the cowboy days.
    Red's downtown has a few Dovo's and others in their case along with a few different Merkur safety razors.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I asked my barber about this a few months ago, as he will use a straight razor on the back of the neck if I ask for it. He told me they only use disposable straight razors because they would have to sterilize a blade after every use, he said that without sterilization they run risk of spreading disease, hepatitus specifically

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    After looking SMBaldwin's profile picture, I'd listen to him. Bad Ass!

:D my poor wife.

hollow ground do give you a thinner blade but it is also weaker and will not keep an edge for as long IMHO. barbers like hollow ground because they can feel the whiskers through the blade better but you will feel them through your face. I prefer flat ground but that may just be me. everyone is correct about cost. get the best you can afford. vintage with no damage means that it was damaged and they just ground the blade down to almost nothing to get rid of the nicks. it will most likely need re sharpened by a pro. It took me 2 years to decide which razor i wanted and I'm glad i was so picky. good luck and don't rush into it. bad things happen when you rush.

Top Bottom