• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    AT&T has been benting me over long enough. After doing a little research it looks like Straight Talk might be my best option. I came keep AT&T coverage, keep my current phone and number and save several dollars a month. Any known downsides to Straight Talk? What does INGO say? :ingo:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I use them with a Verizon SIM. A downside, perhaps the only real one, is they can prioritize their own customers on the network when it's congested but I think that mostly affects data. I've never noticed anything like that though.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Thanks for the responses. Mint may be the least expensive option IF T-Mobile has good coverage in your area. AT&T network is about my only choice here in Santa Claus.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wife has it, we like it. She is not a huge data user. The only data she uses really is for GPS. She doesnt watch youtube, surf facebook, etc (much) while out and about.

She could get by with a limited data plan if they allowed it, but they require unlimited for smart phones now.

Only downside is you have to jump through a couple hoops to get data setup on a smartphone. Not huge, but it involves surfing to a specific website, allowing it to download data to your phone, etc. If you can follow step by step instructions you can do it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just make sure you contact ATT to carrier unlock the phone. They are required by law to do it (as long as you are past the end of your contract), and will do it easily.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many GB of data do these plans have per month?

Anyone had difficulty porting their TX number over to these smaller carriers?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I get the unlimited data straight talk. I can’t recall a time I haven’t had signal or connection to internet. Streaming videos on YouTube will get kinda laggy in places, of course, but I like it. Way cheaper than my Verizon was.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We've got unlimited plans with StraightTalk and have been very happy with them. About 47 bucks per month after taxes (46 and change). I could probably get by with a cheaper plan since I basically just use talk and text but DoggyMama does do Facebook and Facetime with her daughter on her phone.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I use Cricket on AT&T and have been very happy with it.

I've been off of the major carriers for 10+ years and have never regretted it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Straight Talk AT&T for 7 years... as mentioned early, only issue is lower (lowest?) priority during heavy congestion... like attending a sold-out stadium concert... the one time I actually wanted to post such shenanigans to FaceBook because I took my daughter to see her favorite band.

Otherwise, bueno.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I use Cricket on AT&T and have been very happy with it.

I've been off of the major carriers for 10+ years and have never regretted it.

Isnt Cricket the one that only works in your home city and nearby cities, and rural use may require roaming? (That you have to keep some money in an account with them for) We looked at one discount carrier with local stores that did that. But I dont recall who that was.

I think the 5GB plan will work for me. I here the number roll over is pretty simple.

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans

Check the fine print. At least iPHones MUST use the unlimited data plans. (at least they did when we signed up)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Isnt Cricket the one that only works in your home city and nearby cities, and rural use may require roaming? (That you have to keep some money in an account with them for) We looked at one discount carrier with local stores that did that. But I dont recall who that was.

No, they have good national coverage and no roaming charges (within the US). It uses the AT&T network. I'm on a prepaid plan, so it is a fixed monthly payment.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now that I think about it it was another. They were bought by t mobile. So I think it’s gone.

and I think it was aimed at non mobile urbanites who never leave the city. (e.g. bus travelers who dont even own a car) You could use it unlimited in most cities larger than say Bloomington or Kokomo, but they'd charge you for calls made in between as you drove. We ran the other way.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    So I ordered my Straight Talk Sim card starter kit and requested to keep my current number. I'll report back in a few days with how this all goes. Going with the 5gb high speed plan for $35. We shall see. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom