• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    A group i belong to goes up to Grayling, MI once a year and we shoot historic artillery pieces at 1000 yds. We have some ok scopes to see hits, but want to upgrade. Would a regular telescope work in place of a spotting scope? Remember this is once a year and we are looking not to break the bank. Would something like this focus at a 1000 yds?

https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Starwatcher-400x70mm-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B000BY2DJQ

We are shooting a 3" ordinance rifle with a 10 lb round at 4x8 pieces of plywood. This is our target on Saturday this year. 1000 yd target.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I understand not trying to break the bank, but your going to have to chose between having something that works, or spending more than 69 dollars. You just dont get any kind of quality for that price.

You will want to look up the Konus line of spotters. They are about 3x what the Barska you linked runs, but it will work. 1000 yards is not a close range, so you will need some measure of quality in your spotter.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Don't forget that most telescopes can and will invert the image and possibly swap left and right. I typically use a Meade ETX90 scope but have to use an erecting prism. And guys, let's not get rude, ok?

Top Bottom