• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I hope this is the right place for this thread.

A LEO buddy of mine from MI and I were talking about seeing a deer get hit by a car. As a LEO he can get permission to put the animal out of its misery. However in MI if I do the same, I can be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm.

What is the law in Indiana?

Thanks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The same. Totally depends on what county/town you are in when it happens. Could also get nailed for hunting without a license, and with an illegal caliber!

Or not. I honestly don't know. Wouldn't put it passed some CO's, though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been given the o.k. by local LEO to dispatch at least a dozen deer over the past 30 years or so.
    I'm on my county's "road-kill" list and if the deer is still alive, and the LEO doesn't want the paperwork, I'll offer to do the dirty work. Might as well, since I'm taking the meat too!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It depends where you are, inside city limits or outside.
    I guess you could be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm too, it depends on how you do it as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used a knife to cut the throat on road hit deer that didn't know they were dead yet. I was wearing a Police uniform. I hate doing paperwork. I have also popped a couple with a 9mm and just didn't make it known to anybody else. See the comment about hating to do paperwork..

One time, in another job that I had with the city, I called for Police to put down an injured deer in a backyard. A Police friend arrived but didn't quite know what or how to do it. I used his 9mm to put the deer down in the backyard of a suburban house. I let him do the paperwork.

All this happened in the city limits. I am a rebel. Be careful about following my example. Those who know me have covered for me as I have for them.

All the deer that I have put down ended up in my freezer or the freezers of any interested parties.

In my experience, as long as you don't endanger anyone by shooting a injured wild animal, nobody is going to get bent out of shape. It is far more important to have the possession permit. Every Officer I know, carries pads of possession permits. It takes a real hard ass ignorant cop to not understand that..

This is probably just story telling and not a real answer to your question.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have used a knife to cut the throat on road killed deer that didn't know they were dead yet. I was wearing a Police uniform. I hate doing paperwork. I have also popped a couple with a 9mm and just didn't make it known to anybody else. See the comment about hating to do paperwork..

One time, in another job that I had with the city, I called for Police to put down an injured deer in a backyard. A Police friend arrived but didn't quite know what or how to do it. I used his 9mm to put the deer down in the backyard of a suburban house. I let him do the paperwork.

All this happened in the city limits. I am a rebel. Be careful about following my example. Those who know me have covered for me as I have for them.

All the deer that I have put down ended up in my freezer or the freezers of any interested parties.

In my experience, as long as you don't endanger anyone by shooting a injured wild animal, nobody is going to get bent out of shape. It is far more important to have the possession permit. It takes a real hard ass to not understand that..

This is probably just story telling and not a real answer to your question.

This exactly! I always ask the LEO for a possession permit. If they don't have one, I have them write me out a permit on a business card, or even on a scrap of paper, with their name, badge# dept. day/date/time, sex of deer, and REASON FOR POSSESSION!

I also have the backup that the sheriff calls ME, so if I get stopped on the way home with a deer in the back, and it's July, I'm still o.k.!

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Here is what I have learned so far:

See a deer get hit.
    Call LEO
    Said LEO will not want to do paperwork
    I will kill deer, get permit from LEO.
    Grill and enjoy.

Sounds good to me.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    About 2 months ago i walked outside and there were about 12 deer in my dog fence. As they all ran to jump over the fence, 1 missed it by a foot and broke its neck. I went over to check on it, and it was totally f'd up. Looked like a goose's neck. I didn't hesitate to pull out my g27 and put it out of it's misery. I didn't want the meat as I had absolutely no room for it.

I called the sherriff's department and told them the story and asked if they could have someone come pick it up. They told me to call the conservation officers' office. When i called the CO's and told them the story they got kind of crappy and said i should have called them before ever shooting the deer (own my property, which noone would have ever known had i not called). I understand but at the same time i'm not gonna let an animal suffer while i make a phone call.

They told me to call the town offices and get names of people on the roadkill list. Wasn't gonna go through all that, so i called my neighbor over and he got the deer and went to the sheriff's office to get a kill permit. So in the end everything was legal.
    Just seemed like a long drawn out process just to get a dead deer off my property.

All i can say is good luck if a situation arises where you need to put out an injured animal because when all was said and done i'd spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to get someone to help me out. Of course that is expected with Brown County law enforcement....

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've been given the o.k. by local LEO to dispatch at least a dozen deer over the past 30 years or so.
    I'm on my county's "road-kill" list and if the deer is still alive, and the LEO doesn't want the paperwork, I'll offer to do the dirty work. Might as well, since I'm taking the meat too!

That's a win/win situation.

Top Bottom