• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    How do you know what guns are safe to dry fire and which are not? Kel tec states in the manual not to dry fire, but Glock says its ok. Is there a way to tell without the owners manual if it will damage your weapon to do dry fire drills. I broke the transfer bar on a Super Blackhawk many years ago and always wondered if dry firing had anything to do with it.
    I dis search and found nothing similar, any help would be appreciated.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    From what I've read, most modern well-built handguns should be able to be dry fired without very much danger of breaking something, but if you are seriously concerned about it, you can always pick up some snap caps pretty cheap. I've even read that you can make your own, but I went ahead and bought some.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Eh, I always use snap caps just to be on the safe side. You can generally just web search to find out for each firearm.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do not dry fire any .22's. Get some snap caps for your center fires and dry fire away!

The owner's manual (ironically) for my Ruger SR22 pistol says it's okay to dry fire. But I still don't. Can't seem to break the mental taboo against dry firing 22s no matter the design.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The "general" rule is if the firearm has a firing pin return spring, it is likely to be OK to dry fire. Centerfire only.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    The owner's manual (ironically) for my Ruger SR22 pistol says it's okay to dry fire. But I still don't. Can't seem to break the mental taboo against dry firing 22s no matter the design.

I've seen an issue with the piece that allows this dry firing to be safe failing, causing your firing pin to peen on the face of the chamber. Ruger will take care of you if it happens, but still...something to keep in mind.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    So since we're kind of on the subject are Tipton
    brand snap caps the best. I've heard some negative stuff on the aluminum ones and then the brass on some of the other plastic ones leaving a lot of shavings in the gun
    Of course this was on the Internet...

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    ^^this....centerfire is usually pretty safe to dry fire.

From what I've read, most modern well-built handguns should be able to be dry fired without very much danger of breaking something, but if you are seriously concerned about it, you can always pick up some snap caps pretty cheap. I've even read that you can make your own, but I went ahead and bought some.

Vv

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    My Ruger P345 manual says not to dry fire with out an empty mag in the magwell. The owners manual may not say if you can, but generally will say if you can not dry fire. Manuals are usually available on the manufacturers website for reasonabily recent manufacture dates. Guns older than what you can find a manual for, probably should not be dry fired.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Many MODERN 22 rifles and pistols are fine to dry-fire. Most of these have firing pin "stops" in them.

Almost all center fire handguns and rifles are fine to dry-fire also.

Caveat: older revolvers with hammer-mounted firing pins should not be dry-fired.

If the manual says NO - then don't do it.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    As safe as it may be for modern guns to dry fire, I still got some snap caps to be safe...doesnt take much to load one and dry fire. Better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom