• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    So I'm at work last Sunday waiting for my replacement to come in, and boy did he ever. He walks in the door and it's pretty damn hard not to notice he had the absolute HELL beat out of him the night before. I'm talking .."you need the day off and go get some x-rays." hell.
    Long story short, he said the night before he had went to the gas station (emerson and washington east side of Indy) and while walking back to his car, a couple of guys asked for a ride down the street. It was raining and he felt like being nice. (I do NOT condone my friend's lack of spidy-senses, nor his kindness) He obliged, and proceed to give a couple of strangers a ride to a house on a side street off Washington street.
    As soon as he stopped the car, the guy in the back seat sucker punches him, and then the passenger seat guy follows suit. They beat the **** out of my friend while threatening to have a gun. My friend eventually gets out of the car and fends them off for a minute. They went for his keys, wallet, and anything else they could take, but soon left.
    He was pretty down on himself for being gullible, and for not having anything to defend himself with. No knife. No gun. I was easy on him, I mean the guy had been through hell. To top all this off, he has MS and isn't really up for defending himself in most situations anyways.
    I spent about an hour today using my steam vac, peroxide, and elbow grease to clean what looked like a murder in his car.
    I purchased him a edc knife, and will continue to invite him to the range. Anyways, just sucks to see a really kind guy like that get beat so badly. :n00b:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very sorry to hear about your coworker's incident. That really sucks. Good for you for helping him out and helping him get through this. I would recommend checking up on him as much as possible in the next several days. Incidents like this can have a major impact on some people and he may need to talk about it or require more help.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Criminals know that most citizens are, by nature, kind hearted, and they take advantage of that. It's sad that good hearted folks get rewarded for their good deeds like this. :xmad:
    Looks like he needs a friend right now, and some self defense help later.
    It's good to hear he has a friend to help him.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Keep up with him even after the physical wounds heal. A person can have serious damage to the way they look at the world and themselves after an ordeal like that. Some of it may be eye opening and good but some can create serious dysfunction. When a persons ability to trust someone else is damaged it can effect their marriage, work, and most all other relationships. ianat (therapist)

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Looks like he needs a friend right now, and some self defense help later.
    It's good to hear he has a friend to help him.[/QUOTE]

Your a good man for helping him through this. :yesway: I would however be cautious about pushing someone whos not ready into weaponry. Best to lead by example :twocents:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Wow. I hate asshats like that. :xmad: Poor guy. I had a conversation about something like this with my brother last night, who is also somewhat unhealthy. He was complaining that he fell at the mall and nobody helped him. I responded that it's probably because there are so many weirdos in the world, people who will fake something like that and then attack a good samaritan, on meth, or whatever.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Keep up with him even after the physical wounds heal. A person can have serious damage to the way they look at the world and themselves after an ordeal like that. Some of it may be eye opening and good but some can create serious dysfunction. When a persons ability to trust someone else is damaged it can effect their marriage, work, and most all other relationships. ianat (therapist)
    :yesway: I know someone going thru exactly what you said, over a year later. It worries me.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    :yesway: I know someone going thru exactly what you said, over a year later. It worries me.

A practice consultant I used years ago would talk about the statistics and 1st hand experiences of when a staff member was caught embezzling money from the practice. The financial loss was not insignificant but the stats on divorce rates and dysfunction among the staff (the honest ones) was scary. It wasn't so much the money it was that someone you came to work with every day for years lied to you and stole from you (& the staff if a bonus system was in place) each and every day, sometimes for years.
    The difference in the OP's situation is that the guy's trust of people was violated by strangers. It is one thing to make the conscious decision to be vigilant and have a safety motivated low level of trust of strangers. The subconscious reaction to a violation of that trust, however, may not distinguish between strangers and family or friends. This type of reaction does not bode well when it is brought into a relationship that requires things like trust as a foundational component (marriage).

That was worth what you paid for it.:rolleyes:

dsells13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Lafayette
    Ouch, yeah you're doing the right thing for sure. Being a good friend kinda seems like what he needs. Its good that you're helping him to give himself a fighting chance.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm trying to go slowly with any pushing of weaponry, but the knife I purchased for him (Kershaw Zing) is, like you all know, able to be used in any situation including our work enviroment.
    I am kind of worried about his psych as he is a guy with low self esteem naturally. This may push him a bit over the edge. I don't want to make this a personal project or anything, but I would really like to be able to improve his self-talk and image.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I live "near" there... I get asked for a dollar, a ride, blah blah blah... almost everytime I get gas, go to CVS, go to the grocery store... That's why I never am eager to help. Sad really... it's also why I have a LTCH...

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    :poop:heads like these two are the ones that make it hard for people who really need help...
    would be nice if the station had video of the two and posted thier pics for public warning about what they did so karma could make its round trip

btw...its good your friend has a friend like you to be there and being supportive instead of being critical t the matter

+1 for you

:ingo:

Top Bottom