• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I think it was back around 86-87 ish I was fishing in Linton .

As I was making my way back to my favorite spot at that place I stumbled upon some sort of small furry animal .

I didn't notice it until I was almost on top of it , it was "sleeping" I think , on the "stump" of a fallen tree .

We scared the crap out of each other when I startled it and it ran into the underbrush .

To this day I still don't know what it was but I think it was a badger . It's head was about 1' tall and it's body was kinda flat and about 3' long and it's fur was black / dark brown .

I never went back to that honey hole .

awalters0815

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Well there's a plausible explanation. Never heard of such a thing before. Seems like a lot of weird people would be into that kind of thing.

Ya it's pretty popular. I had a family walk by me on opening day of gun season, staring at their cell phone trying to find something. Wearing no orange. Not smart.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Two years ago I am bow hunting near powerlines close to our house. It was a Wed and the first snow of the season so my brother and I played hookie from work to hunt. The sun comes up and I hear what sounds like a loud speaker playing a game show or something. I was like WTF is that . I finally get frustrated and get down to investigate because at this point I am fuming mad that someone would intentionally harass us and try to ruin our hunt. I get to the edge of the woods and look down into the ravine in the middle of the power lines and see movement. Now I am really like WTF X 2. I call my brother on the radio and tell him to move it to my stand now.
    About a min later of trying to figure out what the hell is down in the middle of the ravine out pops a guy. Yes a guy, he was hunkered down covered with brush and tall grass. I immediately knew who it was. One of my neighbors at the top of the lanes brother ( he has mental issues ). Come to find out he had been out there since 8:00 the night before. He started saying some stuff about God shows him thru the woods at night and this and that. He didnt look so good and we were both packing pistols so I called his brother to come get him.

Probably saved him from freezing to death but definitely weird. If any of you are from the Mooresville area, he is the Michael Jackson Dancer that lives off Goat Hollow

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I can imagine those type of people would be oblivious to the potential of walking through the woods during hunting season and needing to wear orange.

I run on the trails a lot, and I don't break out the orange during most of the year, but as soon as it's opening season for deer, I don't wear my white hat anymore, and I break out the orange. Even though you're supposed to be so far off the main trail to hunt, I hear shots extremely close at times. Lots of idiots out there.

Ya it's pretty popular. I had a family walk by me on opening day of gun season, staring at their cell phone trying to find something. Wearing no orange. Not smart.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well there's a plausible explanation. Never heard of such a thing before. Seems like a lot of weird people would be into that kind of thing.

It's kind of amusing. A few years back there were several caches here in Columbus, dad wanted to try out a new GPS he'd bought (before smartphones and Google Maps) and we went hunting for a few of them. Interesting way to kill the time. Usually you get the coordinates off of a website along with some sort of "clue" (either simple or really obscure) and off you go. The only rule really is that it has to be on publicly accessible land. Usually ends up being a tupperware container or old ammo can with a GeoCaching decal on it (prevents random people from running off with it, usually, and cuts down on "bomb" scares) with some random trinkets inside and a notebook. When you find it you trade a trinket for a trinket, and write your name and date in the notebook as a log.

Harmless way to kill some time and get outside.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    In Nov. 1974 out in a rural area out side Clarksville, TX, @ 4 miles from the nearest paved farm to market road. I was 14 yrs. old, walking in the woods, in a light rain, to deer hunt with my Dad. I was carrying my newer beloved 30-30 pump rifle. We came to the back of a farmers field heading down to the bottom, there was an old greyed weathered small feed shed. The shed propably had't been used in 40-50 years & was close to falling down. As we approaced @ 50 yards, the door was open as it always was, some thing burst out of shed breaking left closest to me heading for the bottom. It startled both me & my Dad. He hollered, "its a wolf, shoot it". I jacked a round in the chamber & fired a rushed shot at the wolf running at full speed. I missed the wolf.

I've was raised in the woods, hunting & fishing. This was no coyote nor neighboors German Shepard. It wasn't till about 20 years later after this event that I realize that the last wolf ever killed in Texas was in 1974.
    Dumb kid in East TX, shooting at almost extinct species.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    In Nov. 1974 out in a rural area out side Clarksville, TX, @ 4 miles from the nearest paved farm to market road. I was 14 yrs. old, walking in the woods, in a light rain, to deer hunt with my Dad. I was carrying my newer beloved 30-30 pump rifle. We came to the back of a farmers field heading down to the bottom, there was an old greyed weathered small feed shed. The shed propably had't been used in 40-50 years & was close to falling down. As we approaced @ 50 yards, the door was open as it always was, some thing burst out of shed breaking left closest to me heading for the bottom. It startled both me & my Dad. He hollered, "its a wolf, shoot it". I jacked a round in the chamber & fired a rushed shot at the wolf running at full speed. I missed the wolf.

I've was raised in the woods, hunting & fishing. This was no coyote nor neighboors German Shepard. It wasn't till about 20 years later after this event that I realize that the last wolf ever killed in Texas was in 1974.
    Dumb kid in East TX, shooting at almost extinct species.

It wasn't a wolf it was a Chupacabra!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Last year I saw a turtle from my tree stand. (S)he was going the wrong way...there is a pond back in the woods but (s)he was headed away from it. Strangest thing I've ever seen out there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was up in a tree one morning well before light and had something come following my trail, sniffing real loudly. Came right up to the bottom of the tree. It sniffed around the base a few times then was gone. Never saw what it was.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    While sitting in a tree stand, was using binoculars to glass the trees, paths, basic just all around. Saw something near a tree that appeared out of place. The squirrels kept running up to a tree, then down, then up, then down, same tree. Also saw something white moving back and forth. After a few hours, nature called for a break, came down from the stand, and carefully approached the tree in question.

Was a smaller tree with a womans bra tied around it. The squirrels were filling the sling shot with acorns. I actually laughed, rang up my nature call, and returned to my stand. No deer that day. Came back next am, and after sitting for a while attempted tp glass the area from the day before.

The squirrels weren't around, nor did I see the under garment. After a while, walked over to the tree, handfuls of acorns were laying around. Maybe owner came back to retrieve her clothes? Really weird.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I moved from my position to take a shot with my muzzleloader, as I was reloading I heard something 10ft behind me and it was a doe eating my rice crispy treat, just about the time I had the muzzleloader loaded she popped right down the fudge and was gone.

If only I could have used my Glock...

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was hiking down in brown county and in the middle of the woods there was something that looked like an old chicken coop. The weird thing was that it wasn't around any homes or farms. It may have been protecting something that was growing from deer a while ago, but nothing was currently in it when I saw it.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    When I was a kid down in Bradford woods north of Bloomington there I saw a black creature climbing a tall hardwood tree about 400 yards out over the valley. At first I thought it was a raccoon because of how fast it moved but it had to of been at least 5 times the size of the biggest coon I had ever seen. Not only that but it seemed to move like a monkey. I was the only one to see it because everyone else was occupied and I wasn't saying a word until I had figured it out. To this day I can only speculate between 2 animals. An escaped monkey of some kind, or a baby black bear which seemed less likely because of how high in the tree he was and how nimble he was.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Not really strange just rare, in 91 or 92 I saw a badger in Southern Indiana. I was bow hunting on my farm when I saw what I thought was a groundhog heading my way. As it drew closer I see the lateral white line across its face and back. It dropped down into a creek and then popped back up behind me about 40 yards out. I got a real clear look at the darker colored legs and feet, and the cheek patch of black. Never seen one since that day. I have seen a river otter in the last few years however, hear they are rebounding in numbers.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I was hiking down in brown county and in the middle of the woods there was something that looked like an old chicken coop. The weird thing was that it wasn't around any homes or farms. It may have been protecting something that was growing from deer a while ago, but nothing was currently in it when I saw it.
    They are scattered around Versailles park also-used to have field trials there and they are quail holding pens.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Was a half mile from the road in northern Michigan. One of those summer days with the skeeters and deer flies chewing the crap out of you. Here runs a guy through the swamp in his boxers. The way he was headed was all brush and bears. Nothing for a mile. I'm thinking a good meth buzz goin on there.....

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was 17, maybe 18, it had to be '96 or '97, I left my friends house south of Belle Union, probably 11pm or later, I turn off a gravel road onto a "paved" road, just as I'm starting to straighten out from the turn my headlights are focused in probably waist high grass at the edge of the road. I see a tail, thin, short yellow hair, maybe 1 1/2" in diameter, then I see eyes look back at me, it was a freakin' mountain lion! Man I saw it all in slow motion! I, of course, slam on the brakes to see if I just saw what I just saw, because I was close enough that by the time I realized I needed to stop I was just past it, so I stop, grab the door handle on the truck door, then stop myself cause I just saw a mountain lion! It was freaky to see its face, I don't know, just gave me a serious cold chill. It was maybe two to two and a half feet tall, didn't look very tall but could have been hunched down seeing my truck. I drive like an idiot to mom and dad's, wake them up and tell them about what happened. Of course my father is ready to kill me for waking him up, and now thinks I'm doing drugs until a couple days later we read about one escaping from the area.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom