• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i got a guy who wants to sell a street sweeper.1200.00 he bought it new 18 years ago.he gave 300.00 new.i can talk him down,he is a friend.he want something i got.do i need a class 111 to own it,if not i can get it for someone else probably cheap.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    sweeper

can i sell or trade to a dealer without me having the stamp?hate to pass it up considering the trade i can get it for

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It doesn't matter if it's full-auto or not. A street sweeper is classified by the ATF as a Destructive Device and needs a tax stamp for the transfer. Mgderf is correct in that you cannot even possess it without the tax stamp, but he was slightly incorrect in suggesting that it was only if it were full-auto.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26 U.S.C. 5845(f)(2): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE (Nonsporting shotgun having a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The registration period for the USAS-12, Striker-12, and Streetsweeper shotguns will close on May 1, 2001.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ATF Ruling 2001-1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Pursuant to ATF Rulings 94-1 (ATF Q.B. 1994-1, 22) and 94-2 (ATF Q.B. 1994-1, 24), the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) classified the USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper shotguns as destructive devices under the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. The NFA requires that certain "firearms" be registered and imposes taxes on their making and transfer. The term "firearm" is defined in section 5845 to include "destructive devices." The term "destructive device" is defined in section 5845(f)(2) as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [T]he term 'destructive device' means . . . (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; . . .[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper shotguns were classified as destructive devices pursuant to section 5845(f) because they are shotguns with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter which are not generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 7805(b), ATF. Ruls. 94-1 and 94-2 were issued prospectively with respect to the making, transfer, and special (occupational) taxes imposed by the NFA. Thus, although the classification of the three shotguns as NFA weapons was retroactive, the prospective application of the tax provisions allowed registration without payment of tax. ATF has contacted all purchasers of record of the shotguns to advise them of the classification of the weapons as destructive devices and that the weapons must be registered. ATF has registered approximately 8,200 of these weapons to date.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Held, the registration period for the USAS-12, Striker-12, and Streetsweeper shotguns will close on May 1, 2001. No further registrations will be accepted after that date. Persons in possession of unregistered NFA firearms are subject to all applicable penalties under 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Date signed: February 2, 2001[/FONT]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    First thing's first, OP:

What kind of shotgun is it?

Post up what the thing really is first. Then go from there.

-J-

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I am waiting on my stamp now for one of these as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSxz7SuLwUg

or was it 1200.00 for one of these.
    Sweeper3.JPG

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    elgin street sweepers are the best! lol i grew up next to the factory and toured it on several school trips they are the best world wide!!!!! lol

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    i got a guy who wants to sell a street sweeper.1200.00 he bought it new 18 years ago.he gave 300.00 new.i can talk him down,he is a friend.he want something i got.do i need a class 111 to own it,if not i can get it for someone else probably cheap.

You need to check if he ever got around to registering it, if not the window closed in 2001 and to the best of my knowledge, and the gun is counter-ban ... run, don't walk away from it (maybe some limited options, but not for us mortals ;-).

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2001-1.html

If he did register it, then you fill out the Form 4s, get sign off by the CLEO, finger prints, photos, fill out the paper saying you are you and a citizen of the USA, mail with a $200 check, wait half a year for approval, pick up the gun and then repeat when you wish to sell it ... (don't get your $200 back either ;-).

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought a street sweeper from Bradis back in the 80s. A lot of fun to shoot.

You had to wind it up for it to rotate the revolver type drum/cylinder to fire rounds. Quick firing, accurate, and easy to control. Slow to reload though, like a single action revolver. lol

I just walked into Bradis guns and bought it. No big fan fare, stamps, blood, first born, or my soul. lol

I eventually sold the street sweeper. It was no more of a threat than any other firearm, brick, car, baseball bat, scissors, kitchen utensils, etc. lol

Times sure have changed. One should be really careful who they vote for in November, if owning or purchasing a firearm is something they might want to do in the future. Just saying. lol

Good luck with what you do about the street sweeper.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

If your friends gun is a Street Sweeper model then it has in fact been reclassified by ATF as a NFA Destructive Device. If in excellent unfired condition it is worth $1000-$1500 depending on if it is a fixed stock or a over folder.

This gun will only be legal if it was registered on a form 1 during the amnesty period given by ATF after the reclassification.

If it was never registered then it is contraband and falls under the same penatlies as possessing any other unregistered MG, silencer, DD etc.

Similar models were also made by other manufacturers, but they are all now DD's.

I have sold two nice ones in the last two months.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    One exception they made .410 street sweepers since it's less than .500 bore they are exempt form the DD (or so I've been told)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    One exception they made .410 street sweepers since it's less than .500 bore they are exempt form the DD (or so I've been told)

You're correct. Technically, any firearm with a bore over .50 is a destructive device. They're allowed to be exempt from NFA IF they are shotguns that are suitable for "sporting purposes." That's how most shotguns are allowed to be legal.

All ATF did with the Street Sweeper and USAS-12 and Striker 12 is declare them not suitable for sporting purposes. This made them subject to the NFA. There is sometimes a push from anti's to do the same thing with the Saiga's because they're scary and not sporting.

Technically, with the stroke of a pen, ATF could declare any shotgun they want to be "not suitable" for "sporting purposes" and make it subject to NFA. =(

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    You're correct. Technically, any firearm with a bore over .50 is a destructive device. They're allowed to be exempt from NFA IF they are shotguns that are suitable for "sporting purposes." That's how most shotguns are allowed to be legal.

All ATF did with the Street Sweeper and USAS-12 and Striker 12 is declare them not suitable for sporting purposes. This made them subject to the NFA. There is sometimes a push from anti's to do the same thing with the Saiga's because they're scary and not sporting.

Technically, with the stroke of a pen, ATF could declare any shotgun they want to be "not suitable" for "sporting purposes" and make it subject to NFA. =(

+1

The Street Sweeper reclassification had nothing to do with .50 cal+. If it did then all 12 gauges would be DD's.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    IMO I think it's the name it sounds scary and tactical got it unfair attention & they missed the spas (it's "sporting purpose automatic shotgun") LOL

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    So if its .410 that means it can run .45lc's right? That would be one huge Judge lol but really though, if it's past the "amnesty" period and that old does that mean it would have to be destroyed?

Top Bottom