"Strictly Shooting" Indoor Range (Evansville, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Thought this might be of interest to some here. Strictly Shooting the only indoor range in Evansville (and nearby areas) has developed a somewhat crappy reputation over the last few years of being unfriendly with lousy CS. I went there today to shoot and it was quite OK. No bad behavior to report. The only things I can report are:

1) Price increase (I haven't been shooting in several years...). It's now $10.00 for a half hour per lane. If two people share a lane the price is $15.00 for 30 minutes/

2) I asked them to turn on the exhaust fans. He said "sure" -but I'm pretty certain he did not.

3) The attendant said he made sure I had plenty of staples for the staple guns but he didn't bother to change the cardboard...so I had precious little to staple my targets to. (I got there when they first opened this morning)

4) I wonder about the future of the place as it seems the "Gun Shop" aspect is kinda DEAD from the looks of the many empty glass cases.

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Well yeah....and to be honest my only real interest in them at this point is as a place to shoot. I'm not sure my old shooting spot (from 14 years ago) would really work out anymore. I used to just drive over the levee (Weinbach/Waterworks Rd./The Race Track)...walk a bit into the woods and setup to shooting in a little clearing there with a big hill to catch the bullets.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sadly, Strictly has developed a reputation for the bad customer service and high prices. They have a nice selection of long guns and accessories but the hand gun selection is limited but I'm not too sure it isn't just par for the course now; evidently pistols are selling faster and in greater numbers so many small shops are having trouble getting and keeping inventory.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Prices are what I would expect from a urban shop, CS, hit and miss, one of the guys was really friendly and I actually had a good conversation time before last, but most of the time they ignore me, so I look for any bargins and move on.

I do most of my shopping online anymore, However I do use Dave's Guns in Holland for most dealer bought guns.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    However I do use Dave's Guns in Holland for most dealer bought guns.

I've never been a fan of SS. Dave's is where I spent most of my time, but I'm also a little closer than those in Evansville. Dave's also has a super nice outdoor range and it's $10 per hr, and they have gun rentals which are also $10 per hr.

Rumor has it that Buck and Jake's is working on an outdoor range as well. Last time I was in there, they were hoping to have it ready for this summer.

AftermatH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    I'd rather take the drive up to Sugar Ridge in Winslow, IN. Hardly anybody there and it's free.

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I live about 30 minutes from Evansville but would rather drive to Dave's in Holland.

About two months ago I was in Evansville and called Strictly to ask when they would be closing. They told me 6:00. I got there at 5:30 and they already had most of the guns locked away in the safe. There was maybe 3 or 4 handguns still out but they were quickly grabbing them and stuffing them in their cases. I walked around a bit, no one said a word to me. They looked annoyed because I was there. I was in the market for a new .45 but they didn't get the money.
    If there are no guns to look at at 5:30 then say you close at 5:30. Seems a little early if you ask me if you're selling to anybody that has a job.
    I won't be back. That darn first impression can make or break a store of any kind.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Okay, now for something positive. Some of the people behind the counter are stiff but I actually saw Mike try to smile a couple months ago. I don't care if they have pissy attitudes. I don't go there to make friends but to shoot. I've had trouble with the staplers for the targets in the range too but someone is always there to make it work. I've also gone over the 1/2 hour a couple times and offerd to pay more when I came out but they always refused to take more money. I've traded several guns with Mike and got better deals than at Whittakers in Owensboro. I've also bought several outright and was happy with the prices. I want to help them stay in business because they are the only indoor range around and I don't want to freeze my nubbies off at Danial Boone or Red Brush in January. The exhaust fan is usually off when I go in but they always turn it on when I ask. I can understand they don't want to suck all the heat out of the building. In my book they are a good outfit and I want them to stick around.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I am definitely in the 'wanting them to stay around' crowd but they suffer from hiring the wrong guys to work the counter. I walked in with money to spend and a cute girl was in the shop...guess who got the attention... I left without anyone saying a word. Most small shops make the mistake of hiring friends of the owner and it turns into a club instead of hiring a knowledgeable salesperson who can work the counter and generate loyalty among customers. I can go to Bud's web site and buy stuff all day long cheaper than anyone around here can sell it, plus no sales tax and shipping is free...but i will still give my money to a local place that treats me right even if I have to spend a little more.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    after the moron in the lane next to us (me and my dad) pointed a loaded gun at my dad i'll never shoot in that place again, not the stores fault, but still scared me

now after the employee told me about using the suicide outside the front door to pick up "chicks" thats why i dont go there anymore

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I am definitely in the 'wanting them to stay around' crowd but they suffer from hiring the wrong guys to work the counter. I walked in with money to spend and a cute girl was in the shop...guess who got the attention... I left without anyone saying a word. Most small shops make the mistake of hiring friends of the owner and it turns into a club instead of hiring a knowledgeable salesperson who can work the counter and generate loyalty among customers. I can go to Bud's web site and buy stuff all day long cheaper than anyone around here can sell it, plus no sales tax and shipping is free...but i will still give my money to a local place that treats me right even if I have to spend a little more.

Could you please provide linkage to "Bud's"?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    redbaron beat me to it. Bud's has layaway, too! And, J & S guns does $15 FFL transfers and is the guy to use when you buy from them; he is the one that does the transfers from Whittaker's, too.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    J & S runs out of his wife's sewing shop behind the Denny's on Green River Road in a green strip-mall looking building. If you are familiar with the area, it is in the old Dick Blick art supplies building There is a small sign in the store window; the shop is right next to Bernita's Sewing. He is open 6 days a week (closed on Saturdays when he goes to Whittaker's to pick up the Indiana transfers). He closes early, around 4 or 5 pm, but for $15 and the money I save by not paying shipping or sales tax, it more than makes up for the extra 30 minutes I take off from work to go get my new piece. They don't sell any guns there, he just does the FFL transfers; Jim is a good guy, fun to talk to if you get the chance since he is usually on the phone calling somebody about their new piece coming in. Rumor has it his number comes up as Spence Dental so as not to rile anyone up by having a gun shop calling saying your new piece is in. Always funny to hear people I know talking about 'making a trip to the dentist' and you know what they are really talking about!

Top Bottom