"Strictly Shooting" Indoor Range (Evansville, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    A new gun store has emerged!

Hello All

Meeks Guns has taken over the building formally occupied by Randys Sporting Goods in Ft. Branch right on Hwy 41. Jeff is committed to stocking a lot of guns new and used. His long term goal is to have a 2 lane range located in the building.

Check em out!

Glen

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    A..holes at SS threatened a friend that dropped a 1911 that the salesman half a..ed handed him and it shattered the showcase glass. They said they were gonna call the cops if he didn't write them a check for the damages. He told them to f..ck off. His attorney wrote them a letter and they went away finally.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can't say anything that would improve SS's reputation, but I am glad to have an indoor range in EVV for the wintertime.
    Yeah, me too. I've had some bad experiences there though. I usually have to ask them to turn the exhaust fan on. I also ripped a thumbnail bad enough to bleed hitting a door mold trying to turn on the lights once. About half the time I can't get the *!? staplers to work or they are empty. On the plus side I've gone over the 1/2 hr several times and they didn't mind.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Why bother having hours posted...

if you're not going to stay open for the duration?

I'm a new shooter and don't know of many places to practice. Been busy lately, finally got a chance to get over to Strictly yesterday to try out my new CZ that has been sitting in its box for like almost 3 weekends now, and I'll be damned if they weren't closed at just past 4:30pm. :xmad:

I mean I can understand maybe shutting down a bit early if its really slow/dead, but it was still pretty early imho, and the whole place was dark, everything put away and barred shut. My wife and I kinda thought it was ridiculous, but hey what do I know.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    They are friendly once you get to know them and they get to know you.

Thought this might be of interest to some here. Strictly Shooting the only indoor range in Evansville (and nearby areas) has developed a somewhat crappy reputation over the last few years of being unfriendly with lousy CS. I went there today to shoot and it was quite OK. No bad behavior to report. The only things I can report are:

1) Price increase (I haven't been shooting in several years...). It's now $10.00 for a half hour per lane. If two people share a lane the price is $15.00 for 30 minutes/

2) I asked them to turn on the exhaust fans. He said "sure" -but I'm pretty certain he did not.

3) The attendant said he made sure I had plenty of staples for the staple guns but he didn't bother to change the cardboard...so I had precious little to staple my targets to. (I got there when they first opened this morning)

4) I wonder about the future of the place as it seems the "Gun Shop" aspect is kinda DEAD from the looks of the many empty glass cases.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    They are friendly once you get to know them and they get to know you.
    BUT, any smart business person knows that first impressions are too important to screw up. A lot of people just won't come back if they are ignored or treated rudely. The one guy that I think is the owner or one of the owners hardly ever smiles. I won't mention his name. But once a few visits ago his lips curled up just a little and I think he tried to smile but it seemed that it really hurt him and he probably had to go to the emergency room for a pulled muscle.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    You are right and I can't argue that point at all. The best thing about SS is they have an armorer there that is really good. I don't know if I can use his name on here, but he does a great job and is very knowledgeable.

You are right that the first impression can make or break you in business.

BUT, any smart business person knows that first impressions are too important to screw up. A lot of people just won't come back if they are ignored or treated rudely. The one guy that I think is the owner or one of the owners hardly ever smiles. I won't mention his name. But once a few visits ago his lips curled up just a little and I think he tried to smile but it seemed that it really hurt him and he probably had to go to the emergency room for a pulled muscle.

nate9122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    I am looking to buy my first pistol, and some people i know recommended that i go to a shooting range and try out a number of guns to see what felt right for me. I planned to go to this place until i read all the negative comments about it on here. I live in Evansville... anyone have any recommendations for where i should go?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Strictly has couple of guns for you to try. What do you want to do with your new gun? Carry, target or hunt? So you have a caliber preference yet?

I am looking to buy my first pistol, and some people i know recommended that i go to a shooting range and try out a number of guns to see what felt right for me. I planned to go to this place until i read all the negative comments about it on here. I live in Evansville... anyone have any recommendations for where i should go?

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville

Don't go to to Strictly Shooting. They never have more than a couple guns in stock, not to mention the dudes who work there are mostly jerks. 75% of the times I've been there I was completely ignored. If you want to fondle guns I suggest you go to the next gun show in Evansville (Feb 3-5). There will be hundreds of guns to look at and touch. If you can't wait that long, try Right to Bear Arms or Red Ghost. I have been treated very fairly at both of those shops and neither place ever had a problem with me holding and looking at their guns. It feels good to be treated like a human being in a gun shop, especially when you're looking to spend big cash. It always amazes me when people treat you like crap when you're just trying to spend money in their shop. Oh yeah, I forgot about Gander Mt. Don't actually buy anything here (insanely overpriced), but you can look and touch all day long. They have a lot of guns and pretty nice sales people, too. Hope this helps.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Still wouldn't hurt to try what they have, given they are the only rental place. I personally like Rajo's on West Franklin, though like TLhelmer said about SS, it is a place that is better once they know you.

Have you narrowed what you want down to a few choices?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I don't know how well you have to know them but I am related to two of the guys there and I don't buy much from them!

Still wouldn't hurt to try what they have, given they are the only rental place. I personally like Rajo's on West Franklin, though like TLhelmer said about SS, it is a place that is better once they know you.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I thought all the guns in the case to the left of the register when you walk in are rentals. If so there is just about any Glock you want to try. There are also XDs and some revolvers. I consider it a pretty impressive number (maybe 20 pieces.) Shoot what you are interested in then go to Whittakers if you think you can't get a deal from them or they don't have the one you want in stock.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

we dont have a range or rental guns, but come see me on a sautrday(at rajos) and i'll hook you up

im russell and i work on saturdays

Top Bottom