• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Aftermarket support has always been a factor in my choices. I won't own a critical piece of hardware for which I can't easily find parts, holsters, and various odds and ends.

I'd nix the XD from the list because I have an aversion to unnecessary stuff on pistols, that can go wrong, like grip "safeties" for example. But, that's just me.

So, I'd chose from the Glock, HK, and Smith depending on what you like the best.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    Aftermarket support has always been a factor in my choices. I won't own a critical piece of hardware for which I can't easily find parts, holsters, and various odds and ends.

I'd nix the XD from the list because I have an aversion to unnecessary stuff on pistols, that can go wrong, like grip "safeties" for example. But, that's just me.

So, I'd chose from the Glock, HK, and Smith depending on what you like the best.

That was the main reason why Im reluctant to buy one, the Springfield is nice, really nice, and super accurate, but with all the junkies added on are not for me. I hate those safeties especially the grips safety, really annoying. I like it simple like Glock.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Im thinking about adding a striker fired pistol to my collection, and I have narrowed down to Glock 19, HK VP9, SW MP9, and SA XDM. What would be the best bang for buck? And why?
    My advice; find a local range and try them all to see what fits your hand best, and also what you shoot best with. I shot all the pistols you mentioned and I settled on the M&P9C because it had the best combination of fitting my hand and what I could shoot.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I can whole heartedly recommend the XD. My XD9 sub compact has been my EDC for several years. It is deadly accurate and 100% reliable in my experience.I know that some people dislike to grip safeties, but I personally like them. My first handgun was a 1911 and I am more comfortable with the extra passive safety.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    The grip safety on the XD line is such a polarizing subject. It doesn't bother me one bit, I actually kind of forget about it in the midst of shooting it. I also like the XDM because the grip angle is very close to the 1911. Makes for a more consistent feel between my guns.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Shoot and decide. This isn't a decision anyone can (or should) make for you. All mentioned are quality pistols and similarly priced.

My advice; find a local range and try them all to see what fits your hand best, and also what you shoot best with. I shot all the pistols you mentioned and I settled on the M&P9C because it had the best combination of fitting my hand and what I could shoot.

These 2 make the most sense. If the VP9 and one of the others are really close and you can't make up your mind, then go with what BBI said, and go with the VP9.

I had the Glock 19 and the FNS 9c. I got rid of them for different reasons. I always loose money when trading.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    Yep, you'll be lucky if you break even by reselling your guns or trading your guns, unless you got a good deal originally; otherwise, you'll lose your ass off. It happened to me almost every time I traded my gun. :(

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Out of the original list the VP9 is the best pistol there, I would add the Sig P320 and Walther PPQ to the suggestion list as well. The VP9, PPQ and P320 are some of only Striker fired guns out there that I do not think needs modified drastically out of the box.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    ..... I have a few 1911's......

The XDM is super accurate and very well made but I dont care much for the extra safety function.

You have 1911's which have a grip safety, but don't care for the one on the XDm? Or is the grip safety just something you don't want on a striker fired pistol?

I have owned, carried and shot XDm's for several years. Not once have I had a problem with the grip safety. (Or any problem for that matter) In fact, I prefer one on a striker fired gun. The reason is when you reholster, you're less likely to get "Glock leg", where something gets into the trigger (like a piece of shirt etc) and you shoot yourself. When holstering my XDm, I put my thumb on the back of the slide, which engages the grip safety, and the chance of shooting yourself go way down.

Also, will this be a EDC for you or a range piece?

Last edited:

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I'll be another one for the P320, picked one up recently and I've been very happy with it! Other than a Shield it's the only other striker pistol I have, also prefer a hammer fired pistol.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    See if you can hold each one and make sure the weapons are safe. Pick the two that feel the best in your hand.

Once you are down to two choices, find a safe wall and try the following....

1) Hold the gun at low ready and pick a spot on the wall to aim at.
    2) Close your eyes
    3) Bring the gun up to a firing position using your natural grip and open your eyes.

Whichever one is closer to having the sights aligned (Natural point of aim) and on target when you open your eyes is the winner....

You will find that some of them will naturally align for you, and others will not. It's always easier to shoot a gun that lines up from the start.

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I'd go with the Glock 19 because it's small enough to carry and big enough to fight with. And it seems the Glock has the most accessories available for it.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Of the guns listed I would leaned toward the Vp9. They fitthe hand very nicely and shoot well. But I think the p320 should be in contention. Best striker fired pistol I have owned. And cheaper than the vp9.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Im not sure of anything that would help you make your decision, you really should try and shoot what you are interested in if possible. However, if it were me I'd go with a Glock19. I do think the M&P is a great pistol also but personally prefer the Glock over it and the 19 fits perfectly between the two model M&Ps.

Top Bottom