• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Superior Tactical Solutions - M15 Semi-Automatic Sniper System in 6.5 Grendel
    -Initial impression

190518_10150132508379618_849054617_6087889_3536748_n.jpg

Back-story:
    I first went to Superior Tactical Solutions on the recommendation of both military and law enforcement "Snipers", as well as civilian enthusiast. Being a working man, I couldn't quite make up my mind if I wanted a LWRC M6A3, a FN SCAR, a Remington/Bushmaster ACR, or a good old-fashion accurate bolt-action rifle. Buying two or three was not in the budget.
    I knew if I went with a bolt-action rifle, a commercial off-the-shelf variant would not due. To me it had to be worth my wild, something exciting, something very accurate. I confided in Brad (STS) my interest when he purposed and stated "It sounds like you want an assault rifle, but you care about accuracy.... I can build you one!" Brad explained to me science and research behind the 6.5 Grendel, and how it was the perfect combination of my military love of the AR... as well as my interest in tactical shooting. "How accurate?" I asked. "A solid 1/2 MOA" Brad replied.
    I knew he had the reputation, and so did 6.5 Grendel. Having a good impression of his abilities, I paid 60% down and gave him the green light.

Technical Specs:
    VLTOR upper receiver
    Smith & Wesson M&P lower
    Broughton barrel - chambered by STS in .264 LBC
    Suppressed Armament Systems flash suppressor
    Les Baer bolt
    Daniel Defense bolt-carrier group
    TROY "free float" quad-rail
    PRI Gas Buster charging handle
    MAGPUL PRS Stock
    MAGPUL MIAD "pistol" grip
    Harris Bipod
    Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 6.5-20x50 illuminated MIL-DOT scope

*You may be asking? Is this weapon .264 LBC or 6.5 Grendel. It is chambered in .264 LBC however I primary fire 6.5 Grendel out of it. Since ammo availability for either cartridge is less than plentiful, this allows me to fire either round safely through the weapon. Research revealed that chambering in .264 LBC instead of 6.5 Grendel allows me the option of firing hotter 6.5 hand-loads at safer pressures.

Zeroing:
    197601_10150132509939618_849054617_6087901_4304359_n.jpg

Firing the Hornady 123 grain A-MAX, the weapon quickly zeroed in at 25 yards. The scope was mounted by STS and felt properly mounted and secure. At no point was I suspicious that the scope was floating on me. I zeroed at 25 yards first in order to save precious rounds, as zeroing a freshly mounted scope at longer ranges can be ammo and time consuming. Once I had a satisfactory 25 yard zero. I then re-zeroed at 100 yards.
    The time I'd been waiting for was here! Time to see what it could do at 100 yards. Brad at Superior Tactical Solutions had promised me 1/2 MOA accuracy, which satisfied my needs and expectations... however many manufactures make such a claim, very few deliver. As we all know, delivering sub-MOA accuracy out of semi-automatic weapon is much easier said than done. Attention to detail must be paid every single step along the way.

Once I knew the 100 yard zero was established, I was excited to see her performance. After all, no one wants to pay custom rifle prices without custom rifle results. My personal criteria for accuracy was a 3-shot group, as this was what I'd done time and time again in the military. I took aim at the upper-left target. It had been some time since I had fired a weapon with this light of a trigger. Measured at STS, the trigger broke consistently at 3 lbs. The looks and feel of an AR had triggered a mental association / muscle memory of Uncle Sam's trigger pulls... I had fired the weapon before I meant to, throwing one high. "OK... let me try this again". Clearly identifying which round was a boo-boo, I then proceeded to fire off a 3-shot group. I knew I had done well, but it was time to go check the target. Hoping for 1/2 MOA accuracy, I measured the target to find "0.56".
    [0.132 x 2 = .264]
    0.56 - .264 = .296
    I had fired just short of near perfect 1/4 MOA accuracy.
    197601_10150132509954618_849054617_6087904_1388962_n.jpg

But could it be repeated? Unfortunately, my dedicated camera man failed to show. I apologize that the pictures are limited. I assure you I fired just shy of 1/4 MOA accuracy approximately a dozen times. There is no doubt in my mind that in more capable hands, this is the most accurate SASS I have personally ever seen.

I decided to take a different approach on my review. The intent of this review is not the scientific accuracy of this rifle. After all, if I wanted to do that I would clamp the rifle down on heavy oak bench. I wanted to know how it would perform for me, under conditions I would fire it.
    In my opinion, it is one thing to show up to a range rested and quite comfortable... it's something entirely different for our soldiers and Marines abroad. So, I decided to intentionally increase my discomfort by donning my PASGT and ESS goggles.
    About 50 push-ups and some double-shoulder-arm-taps later... with a tired neck and foggy goggles, I decide to try my hand again. After all, I am a soldier and this review is from my point-of-view.
    198115_10150132510984618_849054617_6087917_4948021_n.jpg

As the day grew and muscles quivered, and 77 rounds later the groups began to spread. Gust of 20 mph winds made it difficult. I attempted to time my shots between the gusts, however the wind often triumphed. It felt like every time I carefully broke the trigger the gust hit me without warning. All things considered, the weapon continued to deliver despite being dirty. Considering the dirty weapon, hours of continuous firing, shaky muscles, and strong winds at full value... I continued to be impressed by the accuracy and reliability of this weapon.

197601_10150132509959618_849054617_6087905_2570784_n.jpg

To clarify, I am not saying this weapon will fire 1/4 MOA every time. I am however saying that it is capable of doing so. A majority of my 3-4 shot groups were between 1/4 and 1/2 MOA. Hours later, as I fatigued and gust of wind moved into the area, my shot groups ranged from 1/2 to 1 MOA. My intentions with wearing the gear and intentionally fatiguing myself were to show that: there is no doubt in my mind that this is a sub-MOA S.A.S.S. in competent hands, even under less than ideal conditions.
    Time was also a factor. During the afternoon covered in this review, I had to familiarize myself with my new rifle, zero the scope, and get some shot groups. Again, the wind was often not cooperative. On more than one occasion, the wind ripped the thin target paper from the staples and away she went... clearly subtracting from my ability to take photos of the shot groups. I do intend on adding to this review, with more photos and shot-group tables... when I have calmer wind and a dedicated spotter.

Internet research tells me that a Colt AR-15 typically produces about 5.5 pounds of recoil, and an AR-10 firing 7.62 NATO typically produces 15.5 - 18.5 pounds of recoil. Research also tells us that a full-length AR in 6.5 Grendel produces 8 to 8.5 pounds of recoil. But what about felt and perceived recoil? If I was a betting man, and I had to chose between the two, I would say that the Grendel did produce more recoil however it was barely noticible. Firing the 6.5 Grendel cartridge seemed as comfortable to me as firing the 5.56 NATO in Iraq. The unloaded rifle weighed in at 13.6 lbs with the Harris Bipod attached, 12.5 without. Heavier than a GI M-16, but noticable lighter than an AR-10 SASS.

For those unfamiliar with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, I included a pic (right) of 6.5 Grendel compared to 5.56 NATO (left)
    199177_10150132577699618_849054617_6088486_3556723_n.jpg

So far, I have experienced a 30% reduction in magazine capacity vs 5.56mm... although this may prove better with other manufacturers’' magazines. This fact does not bother me as this is indeed a tactical rifle. When it comes to tactical shooting, i'll take 14 rounds of 6.5 Grendel over 20 rounds of 5.56 NATO any day. (My personal opinion)
    The only issue I ran into was that I had selected too light of a hammer spring. Being a semi-auto, I made a conscious effort to keep the trigger to the rear during the 3-pulse recoil. Despite my best efforts, as I fatigued my finger let up on the trigger enough to double-tap... on two occasions. When I get an opportunity, I'm going to have STS install a slightly stronger hammer spring.

Conclusion:
    My intial impression is that this rifle was worth every penny. Every step of the way my experience with Brad and Superior Tactical Solutions was very pleasant. I have never dealt with a company with such great customer service. I was always treated like an VIP and never felt like I was just another customer. My close proximity to STS allowed me to visit on several occasions. Brad never failed to ask me if I needed something to drink and always cared about my needs and wishes for this rifle. It is my personal recommendation that anyone looking for a SASS AR to inquire with STS before making a decision... I'm glad I did.

-We are experiencing our fair share of inclimate weather here in SW Indiana. When I get the time, and if weather cooperates... I hope to get a more scientific review of the accuracy. So far, it is averaging 1/3 MOA groups, of course depending on my performance. If I can enlist the help of some buddies, I hope to get shot-group tables and pics of shot groups. Next time I also hope to have time to take it out to 200 yards... further when I find a landowner who will let me. I hope to make this an on-going, running review.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Nice review. And a sweet looking gun too.

I currently have 2 6.5 Grendel rifles, one is delivering better than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. I've not pushed the shorter barrel gun out to 200 yards yet, but I plan to do a side by side shoot off of both of my guns to see what I can get out of each. My long range gun has a better trigger, which I'm sure is contributing to good groupings but my tactical Grendel is using a factory stock Charles Daly Defense mil-spec trigger.

What are your plans for your gun? I know you said tactical . . . but do you plan to use it in 3 gun matches? Or recreational and home defense uses? Fun shooting at the range? Other?

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I chose it for multiple applications. Recreational tactical shooting and home defense. I do not have plans to compete, and certainly no bench rest shooting. Not a fan.
    Obviously, the 20.5" barrel has it's limitations in close-quarters. STS also makes a "16 inch" variant. That will likely be my next purchase. It will either be in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62 Soviet. If i go with 7.62x39, it would be to cheaply throw some lead down range. However, logistically... I might stay with 6.5 Grendel.

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Great review, and I'm very, very tempted to see about investing my tax return in a tool like that.

Also, Welcom to INGO! :welcome::ingo:

I think you would be very pleased. Seeing how you get a tactical rifle, hunting rifle, and home defense all-in-one rifle... it more easily justifys spending the money. (ok, well not in Indiana hunting rifle)
    When you compare what you get for the money verses commerical "tactical rifles", you get more performance for less money.
    I do not recall exactly what I spent on this rifle (not including optics) but it was comparable to buying a LWRC M6, SCAR, ACR, Armalite SASS, etc.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ... If i go with 7.62x39, it would be to cheaply throw some lead down range. However, logistically... I might stay with 6.5 Grendel.
    You may want to buy some of the inexpensive WOLF 'Gold' 123 grain soft point ammo. That can be had fairly cheaply and its what I use for practice ammo. Some people report horrible accuracy with it and others report very good results. My guns seem to shoot it acceptably well so I'm happy with it, especially given the price tag which is about 40% below the cost of the premium grade 6.5 Grendel ammo. :yesway:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No offense to the OP, but this thread just seems a little bit off. First, those are some pretty nice photo's for an amateur review, and you very seldom see the specs included like you did here. Not that its that uncommon, but thats where it begins. then the part that really bugged me. The weapon system is clearly designed for long range shooting. Thats where the grendel excells. yet it was zeroed at 25 yards, and wait for it, the OP was SUPER EXCITED about shooting at 100. thats like saying you bought a musce car to see what kind of fuel economy it gets. or built a street racer to go the posted city limits. Third was the groupings. who takes that many pictures of that quality, but only posts one picture of a group, that actually measures anything decent, and even then its only a 3 round group, with a flyer discounted. called flyer, maybe, but if you look at the other groups posted, they all seem to have the unaccounted for flyer as well. Maybe i am skeptical but i am suspect of any AR claiming to be able to achieve 1/4 moa groups and i have seen some rifles built by some of this countries most reputable gunmakers. and three rounds really doesnt tell you anything, thats why most gunwriters in order to really prove a rifle will fire 5 consecutive 5 shot groups.

last which is what seems really out of place, is the nc star reddot. not only is it mounted wrong forcing you to cant the rifle so far sideways that you will not be able to get ANY sort of decent position let alone quick reflex from a prone position while using the scope. but look at all the dough spent on gear in that picture. a 400 dollar helmet, probably 700 dollars in molly gear and pouches, a 1500 dollar rifle (guessing on price) a 1000 dollar scope, and he puts an NC start on it? just seems out of place with all the other quality kit.

and last... home defense really? maybe home defense in SHTF, but your run of the mill home defense this rifle is hardly suited, and just putting a reddot on it doesnt make it any better suited to home defense. the round itself it a bit overkill and usafe in an urban area or occupied building. not saying it cant be used for it, but labeling that as one of its uses just seems odd.

once again, not meaning to insult anyone, just making some casual observations, but this sure does seem like a sales pitch.

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    IndyGunWorks,

You are not the first one to bring this up, however you are the first one to do it semi-respectably... and I appreciate that. I thought I made it clear in the article, but perhaps not. It is standard procedure to zero in and 25 yards then re-zero at a further range. This saves rounds, as you can waste much ammo trying to find your zero on a freshly mounted scope at further distances. That is what I did. If the fact it was later zeroed at 100 yards was not clear, then I apologize.
    You are correct that 6.5 Grendel is a medium-long range performer. Although I have reason to believe this is an 1100 meter performer in the right hands, it is difficult to find a place to fire at those ranges. I am clearly not a farmer and do not own that much land. If you have access to that much land, I would be more than happy to come up and show you what it can do, or let you fire it. I understand that you are skeptical that this can fire 1/4 MOA, I was too... but I assure you it can. It was not my intention to imply that it fires 1/4 MOA every time. I do not believe I said that. I believe I specifically mentioned that as the day grew, the bore dirtied, and muscles tired, the groups began to spread. Not to mention the strong gust of wind.
    I apologize that some of the pics seem fishy, but the truth is that my buddy was suppose to come and be the spotter, and double as the camera man. However, he has PTSD pretty bad and as usual stayed up all night only to crash at 0600 hours, sleeping through my review. Thus my coverage of the review did not go as perfect as planned. I was lucky that the landowner snapped some pics for me. If it wasn't good enough for you, then I don't know what else to say. However, the fact is that no matter how much I typed, if I included tables, or how many photos I posted... does not change the accuracy of this rifle.
    My review was in fact a bit of a sales pitch, but not bull****. It is me saying to you that I have my fair share of experience and I'm saying that this is the most accurate AR I've ever fired. I never said I've fired every AR in the world. I'm simply saying that I did my homework, talked to civilian and LE "Snipers", they told me this company was the place to go... I did... and I am very happy. If you do not believe me, then fine. Don't buy one. It matters not to me. I could have been selfish and not told anyone about the most accurate AR I am aware of.
    I am well aware that I took a different approach in my review. Some people don't like it, but my military peeps loved it. My intent was to show that even with strong winds at full value, under fatigue, and in uncomfortable operational call-out gear (etc)... that no matter how you slice it, THIS IS A SUB-MOA A.R. !
    If I wanted to show the scientific accuracy, I would have clamped it onto a bench. I feel that my review showed that while fired off the shoulder, without sandbags, with the bipod, this rifle can achieve 1/4 MOA. On average it is 1/2 MOA... sometimes worse, sometimes better.
    You are not the first person to mention the NCSTAR. Christ, I'm sorry I mentioned it. But the fact is that I don't get paid nearly enough for what I do. I don't know what you do for a living, but if you want to buy me a better reflex sight, then I will mount it. Happy?
    I specifically mentioned that the reflex sight did not turn out ideal. However, if you actually knew any SF guys running high-power scopes in Afghan, etc... you would know that this is common practice. At those ranges, it is not going to matter if it is perfectly zeroed. As long as you see the (green, not red) dot... I assure you the tango is going down. I also specifically mentioned that this barrel length is not ideal for that purpose, but I assure you that troops are often forced to use such a rifle for multiple purposes.... if it is ideal or not.
    I wrote that review from my perspective. I was and am not looking for “Oh look at me and my pretty rifle, look how good I can shoot!” Frankly, if you don't like it then you can buy one and write your own review.
    I intended all along to go back and conduct other reviews, further adding to the thread. However you and others like you didn't even give me the chance.
    Home defense was barely mentioned. What I wrote was my personal opinion. You do not have to like it. Yes, I am a soldier and an amateur review writer. I do not work for a bull**** magazine, nor did anyone pay me for that review. I’m telling you the truth, and I’m not terribly concerned what you think of me. I’m simply saying that to my knowledge, for about $2,500 bucks, this is the best AR around. No more, no less.
    :dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3_gun_shoot_south_of_richmond_-_4-3-11_a.html

bring that rifle and a hundred rounds or so to this shoot. there will be several people there that are better shooters than i and we can put the gun through the ringer, and we will not be short of any cameras to document the 1/4 moa groups. ill eat every last word i spoke, if you bring this rifle and can prove it does what you say it does. shooting 1/4 moa a dozen times in one range trip is no simple feet. i would be shocked to see it done half that many times. but we will be shooting 5 shot groups not 3

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Look man, neither STS nor I have anything to prove to you. People that know them know what I am talking about. This review is not about you, or what you think. You apparently have a hard-on for me and/or this rifle. If you are so darn concerned about it, I'm sure STS will let you come down and test fire one. I'm not wasting my time or gas money on you.
    Again, write your own damn review.

However, to be fair... I did reread my review and I was not very clear on some things. I did edit it for fairness to all... not for you. It is a known fact that it is very difficult for one to proof-read one's own work... because subconsciously, I knew what I meant, not what it actually said.

Have a nice life.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3_gun_shoot_south_of_richmond_-_4-3-11_a.html

bring that rifle and a hundred rounds or so to this shoot. there will be several people there that are better shooters than i and we can put the gun through the ringer, and we will not be short of any cameras to document the 1/4 moa groups. ill eat every last word i spoke, if you bring this rifle and can prove it does what you say it does. shooting 1/4 moa a dozen times in one range trip is no simple feet. i would be shocked to see it done half that many times. but we will be shooting 5 shot groups not 3
    Not sure why you are being so hard on him.

I've shot some pretty amazing groups with my Grendels and the guns and cartridges are capable of some amazing accuracy. Sure, an F-Class gun may be better, ditto a dedicated target rifle, but for a service rifle that is tricked out a bit the Grendel will perform amazingly well.

This has been posted before, but it was shot on the 200 yard range at Winamac during a NWI INGO "Meet & Shoot" using inexpensive Wolf ammo. Its under 1/2 MOA at 200 yards (7/8ths of an inch outside to outside measurement):
    12-2.jpg

Top Bottom