• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    ok I should know better than to do this in these forums but oh well, let the bashing begin.

I see in shops AR lowers all the time. I also see adds for them on here alot. How is it that you come across the bolts and uppers if i never see them in stores? Are they simply an online order thing or what?

Yes i know, a bit of a stupid question but please be gentle. I have been around firearms all my life including watching my father build his own when i was a child. I only recently got into buying though so still learning a bit.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Some places stock bolts ect. Many that do do not have them on display.
    That would make sense i guess. although seems like not displaying them would cut the sales a bit unless it is more of a safety thing. Hell i don't know as much as i wish i worked in a shop i don't.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    When it comes to AR15's, the lower is the part that the BAFFE considers the gun, as it has the serial number on it. Since the upper does not have any such serial number, it can be shipped through the mail.

A lot of people that order uppers are very particular about what they want, so they will special order their upper of choice with the specific specifications that they desire. The same thing is done with bolt carrier groups (BCG).

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Donnelly that makes alot of sense sir and it what i had expected just never been in a spot to purchase one so i had no clue. I am trying to find a good long range gun before i look at AR's. thank you for the insight

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    Don't discount the AR for long distance, they can be good with quality parts. It's easy to put one together too, so you get the satisfaction from doing that too.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Don't discount the AR for long distance, they can be good with quality parts. It's easy to put one together too, so you get the satisfaction from doing that too.

Which is why they're so popular. And to the original point, if you got $$$ you can have 1 upper dedicated to long distance with a nice big heavy scope / longer barrel and another upper tricked out for home defense.

Just pop 2 pins to swap 'em out and you're good to go.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    When it comes to AR15's, the lower is the part that the BAFFE considers the gun, as it has the serial number on it. Since the upper does not have any such serial number, it can be shipped through the mail.

A lot of people that order uppers are very particular about what they want, so they will special order their upper of choice with the specific specifications that they desire. The same thing is done with bolt carrier groups (BCG).

I would agree with this. I like building my own from scratch so I can pick out every single part that goes on it.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    in regard to this i know in the Marines with the m16 i would typically shoot 10 for 10 at 500 meters with a group about 1.5" going very slow and on a good day. Is it possible to push an AR config into the range of 800+ meters?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A 1.5" group at 100 yards from an AR/M16 is very respectable. 1.5" at 500 is practically unheard of. I have shot, at best, with high quality ammo, about a .3" 3 shot group at 100 using my 20" AR. I doubt I can hold that tight of a group out to 500 even in perfect conditions. Maybe some people can do it but I'm just not that good. I was happy to get 2 out of 6 sighters in the black AQT target at 500 at the last Appleseed event.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought my BCG off the shelf at Bradis when I built my now sold AR last Summer.

I also bought my lower from them and a few other pieces. The upper and the rest were online.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    A 1.5" group at 100 yards from an AR/M16 is very respectable. 1.5" at 500 is practically unheard of. I have shot, at best, with high quality ammo, about a .3" 3 shot group at 100 using my 20" AR. I doubt I can hold that tight of a group out to 500 even in perfect conditions. Maybe some people can do it but I'm just not that good. I was happy to get 2 out of 6 sighters in the black AQT target at 500 at the last Appleseed event.
    I did that once and only once. sadly isn't wasn't a recorded score day and it was at around 5:30 am no wing and about 68 degrees. My normal shooting was tight but not that tight i will admit. I just don;t see how that rifle can be made into a long range gun as in 800+ unless you are shooting at a house or car.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I did that once and only once. sadly isn't wasn't a recorded score day and it was at around 5:30 am no wing and about 68 degrees. My normal shooting was tight but not that tight i will admit. I just don;t see how that rifle can be made into a long range gun as in 800+ unless you are shooting at a house or car.
    Go custom and get a 30" barrel? :)

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I've got a 28" barreled 6.5Grendel AR that I've taken out to 700+. We (42768vette and I) were not having any issues keeping shots on the head of a 100% IPSC (6"square).

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    in regard to this i know in the Marines with the m16 i would typically shoot 10 for 10 at 500 meters with a group about 1.5" going very slow and on a good day. Is it possible to push an AR config into the range of 800+ meters?

Ok, so its starting to get deep in here! Especially if we are talking open sight and the militaries standard 5.56 ammo.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    I've got a 28" barreled 6.5Grendel AR that I've taken out to 700+. We (42768vette and I) were not having any issues keeping shots on the head of a 100% IPSC (6"square).
    thank you for the numbers. that at least lets me know a good idea. I would like to have a longer range but to have that plus the range for closer 200 range that would be real nice

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    I have an AR I built for prarrie dogs with DPMS lower and Wilson match grade 22"barrel. My longest confirmed (with witness) shot with my AR on a dog (measured with a laer) is 540 yards using hand loads. Knowing how much elevation and windage adjustment it takes to shoot that distance I have had no luck with a 223 round being very repeatable at 800 meters. But that was shooting at something the size of a shoe standing on end. I've never shot at a larger target at that distance...

However my longest 22-250 bolt action shot on a dog is 860 yards with a pile of them at 800 yards. So the 22 cal bullet will work at that distance it just needs the right amount of persuasion to get there.

Top Bottom